The Weather

I thought we were done with global warming and moved onto climate change. Mixing up weather and climate is a easy mistake to make. A beautiful sunny day -2C, warmer air from the south, winter is coming to an end as the sun stays up til near 6:00PM. Nice twilight this time of year. A good amount of snow, lots of folks out on their sleds and ice fishing.

I thought we were done with global warming and moved onto climate change. Mixing up weather and climate is a easy mistake to make. A beautiful sunny day -2C, warmer air from the south, winter is coming to an end as the sun stays up til near 6:00PM. Nice twilight this time of year. A good amount of snow, lots of folks out on their sleds and ice fishing.

What's the power station type most terrible for nature?.. That's right - hydroelectric power station.

I know, but it will be very fanny. :)
But now -28C on the street, in thursday promising -31C at day, and -42C at night, clear and sunshine, it's ideal time for rally against global warming :) ,cause in friday will be -20...-28, snow and wind up to 25 m/s. :(

About where around in great Russia is this, I guess it's not Sochi temperatures, maybe some place similar to Yakutia, enjoy the refreshing weather.

ps. Here outside Helsinki we have -4 C but the coming week is forecast to land on couple of plus.

Last edited:
I could cocoon myself in wool and still hate winter.

I used to go snow skiing pretty often when I was younger, had a blast. But that was on my terms - I could go to the cold/snow and leave it behind when I was finished. But now I'm older and cold doesn't hold any magic for me.

Also in my younger years I worked on drilling rigs during all types of weather, and they are not heated here like rigs in the arctic. It was cold, and wet, and muddy, and I had a blast doing it for a period. But I still don't like winter.

I am of a similar view, spent more than 2 years at 58.13North, 1.698E, only a windwall for drill floor and derrickman. Main deck was 65' above sea level and waves would break over in winter, learnt to hate the cold.

Yesterday morning at 6:30 AM it was 5 degrees F (-15C). At 7:40 AM our power went out. It stayed out until almost 4PM. Power company's web site says "equipment failure." Most of the rural homes here use electric heat. We have had more snow, and cold temps this winter than I can remember. Too much load probably blew a transformer somewhere.

My 5KW generator died during the last power outage. It coughed and died as I refueled, with fuel dripping from the air cleaner......stuck float in the carb, probably from junk in the fuel. It's currently in a shed whose door I can not open due to a foot of snow in front of it. I had two surgeries to remove cancerous tumors last Wednesday and a Covid vaccine Friday, so I'm not exactly in the mood to mess with it either.

The $300 Chinese "2000 watt" invertor generator that still works, got to do alternating duty with a space heater and the refrigerator all day yesterday and to my surprise, didn't miss a beat.

The power returned about 4PM yesterday, but phone, internet, and TV didn't return until after dinner. The Comcast guys were all over the place changing "fuses" due to a "power surge."

Today it's warmer, 40F but raining and quite windy.

George I hope that surgery was successful!

Glad to see Texas and other states have lost the deep freeze!

After that brutal cold snap it's slowly warmed up to 1C and supposed to get to 3C today . It is forecast to be more bearable with -10 and a few days of -20 to -30 starting this Friday and back to -5 to -10. Hopefully no more severe cold. The sun is sure warm when we get it much more now.

Last edited:
Yesterday we were on the island of Prvić. We had a family lunch with my parents who live there. Pictured is an almond flower in their garden, the leaves are already growing and the flower is nearing its end, there are already forest asparagus that growing only in the spring.
All this because we only had two or three nights this winter with temperatures below zero, yesterday it was around 15-16 C, the next few days 17C.
This is the weakest winter in my area since I know, and it is a continuation of the trend of the last 10 years of warmer winters.

Attachments

• almond.jpg
    almond.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 103
  • prvic.jpg
    prvic.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 103
  • prvic1.jpg
    prvic1.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 101