Fast light

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Read a piece today that claimed within a nano-structure light traveled instantaneously. The claim was that because it was not in a vacuum it did not violate Einstein. I did not understand most of it. I will try and remember to get more details tomorrow. (what lab etc)

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that electron tunnelling also happens instantaneously.

Isn't that because the electrons push each other?

"A European research project has demonstrated field effect transistors in which the gate (channel) is controlled via quantum tunnelling rather than by thermal injection, reducing gate voltage from ~1 volt to 0.2 volts and reducing power consumption by up to 100x. If these transistors can be scaled up into VLSI chips, they will significantly improve the performance per power of integrated circuits."

Interesting.
Quantum tunnelling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit:
Almost tempted to buy that article, €30 sounds a bit much for a peek though :p
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v479/n7373/full/nature10679.html

Last edited:
Einstein said he was wrong.

Special relativity was the result of 10 years of intellectual struggle, yet Einstein had convinced himself it was wrong within two years of publishing it. He rejected his theory, even before most physicists had come to accept it, for reasons that only he cared about. For another 10 years, as the world of physics slowly absorbed special relativity, Einstein pursued a lonely path away from it.

LEE SMOLIN -- EINSTEIN'S LEGACY--WHERE ARE THE "EINSTEINIANS"? -- LOGOS 4.3 SUMMER 2005

For another 10 years, as the world of physics slowly absorbed special relativity, Einstein pursued a lonely path away from it.
And toward formulating the general theory.
and let the USA win.
Lest they be forgotten...

Attachments

• military-cemetery.jpg
    military-cemetery.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 90
Why is it so many otherwise quite bright folks seem to need to credit extra-human influence? No, The Egyptians built the Pyramids. Einstein was every bit as human and fallible as all of us; just a bit more focused on issues we are not. He WORKED to come up with his ideas. ( An maybe a lot of that work was also his first wife)

Besides, I still have to believe time is unidirectional. No paradox. Bi-directional time may work in the math, and as I understand there is no compelling reason it can't be. But, it is messy. Nature tends not to be messy. Nature likes the simple answer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.