Psychic pair fail scientific test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BTW, there is no alternative to "conventional" science (bar ignorance) so the adjective is superfluous
I'm using the term "conventional" in the sense that the scientist typically believes he can always investigate a situation without impacting the outcome by his presence. In the truly hairy areas of fundamental physics research this becomes a mighty battle to make happen, where staggeringly expensive experiments are set up, to achieve some slight progress forward in understanding. My suggestion is the paranormal lives in a "reality" that is a slight step beyond that again ...

Frank

PS: and yet again silliness intrudes. If someone considers that there may be "something in it" then the "logical" extrapolation is that the person swallows holus bolus all the most barmy expressions of the phenomenon ...

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just to play devils advocate, it is interesting that the researchers concluded the results to be consistent with chance alone, when their sample size (ie two supposed psychics out of all possible psychics) and only 5 test subjects were all that were tested ;) Somehow I don't think that they tested a statistically significant sample size ;)

It's also not clear whether the one person that identified themself from the desciptions the phsycics did so for both or only one of the descriptions...

Tony.

your PS is not pointing out silliness. To accept, even in small part, that there is "something in it" beyond the well documented such as micro-effects and the practise of cold reading you have to accept the entire ball of wax.

You do not, in a consistent world, get to choose which bits you will apply rational thinking to and which bits you will accept as a cosmic gift of enlightenment.

They are not con artists because they truly believe in their own powers.
No, they're still con artists. The ethics don't change because of self-deluded rationalizations. It's just easier to be a con artist after you've conned yourself.
From another view, if I were to accept that explanation, I can't then accept the "testing stress" explanation - they should be comfortable with themselves and their capabilities.

your PS is not pointing out silliness. To accept, even in small part, that there is "something in it" beyond the well documented such as micro-effects and the practise of cold reading you have to accept the entire ball of wax.
As an analogy, is medicine contaminated for having researched what witch doctors and shamans did when "magically" healing people, and realising that there were healing properties in some of the strange concoctions and plants used? Did medicine fudge it by not swallowing the "entire ball of wax"?

A study of history demonstrates over and over again that there are strange behaviours, patterns of human activity that seem to make no sense, until it's thoroughly researched and a deeply rational explanation for the origins of the bizarreness finally emerges ...

The key point is to ignore the twisted cloak of irrationality that overarches much of this activity, and consider whether there can be a kernel of "truth", whatever that be, somewhere within ...

Frank

PS: Would you have been the bold soul that proclaimed to your neighbours that they were fools, because they believed the world was flat, in those earlier times ...

No, they're still con artists. The ethics don't change because of self-deluded rationalizations. It's just easier to be a con artist after you've conned yourself.
From another view, if I were to accept that explanation, I can't then accept the "testing stress" explanation - they should be comfortable with themselves and their capabilities.
Virtually all everyday psychics, not the performance variety, happily acknowledge that it's very hit and miss as to whether they'll be able to pick up something really significant. Just like a doctor will never guarantee that he can cure you every time ...

Frank

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!
I just read the BBC link at the start of this Thread. One of the psychic's, Patricia Putt said
( about the fact that no evidence of psychic powers were found )
that it "doesn't prove a thing"
She got that right!!

It's the 21st Century, I repeat 21st Century, there are no psychic powers, no ghosts, no telekenesis, no Gods, no afterlife. Accept it, and move on. Think of all the interesting and 'real' things that you will have the space to be able to engage in when you shed all of the mystical none sense!

As an analogy
Another that misses the mark.
what witch doctors and shamans did when "magically" healing people, and realising that there were healing properties in some of the strange concoctions and plants used
It was demonstrably shown, and then scientifically verified. Nothing magical there. That's what needs to be done... one conclusion or the other. Though the balance of evidence at this time is quite overwhelming.
Virtually all everyday psychics, not the performance variety [I make no distinction. The entertainers call themselves mentalists], happily acknowledge that it's very hit and miss as to whether they'll be able to pick up something really significant.
Is that another way of saying it's pure chance?:)

As an analogy, is medicine contaminated for having researched what witch doctors and shamans did when "magically" healing people, and realising that there were healing properties in some of the strange concoctions and plants used? Did medicine fudge it by not swallowing the "entire ball of wax"?

Difference is that the researchers you identify do not start from a point of "My suggestion is the [witchdoctor heals] in a "reality" that is a slight step beyond that again ..."

A study of history demonstrates over and over again that there are strange behaviours, patterns of human activity that seem to make no sense, until it's thoroughly researched and a deeply rational explanation for the origins of the bizarreness finally emerges ...

Again, they are researched from the point of known rational science, not a hoodoo belief system that requires secrets and explains away inconsistent outcomes by blaming the act of measurement.

PS: Would you have been the bold soul that proclaimed to your neighbours that they were fools, because they believed the world was flat, in those earlier times ...

Actually the world was generally known (or understood) to be spherical for a long time before and concurrent with the minority belief in a flat earth. The flat-earthers were analogous with the fringe dwelling belief systems of today including those who believe in "paranormal" and psychic phenomena.

Is that another way of saying it's pure chance?:)
No, what many of them will say it comes down the "importance" of what is being picked up, for the individual at an emotional level. Where much of the paranormal research gets it "wrong" is that the "testing" is mindnumbingly boring, excrutiatingly tedious for the participants, hundreds, thousands of instances of distinguishing or predicting some meaningless object or event from another meaningless one, so that it is statistically valid. You might as well attempt to ascertain whether listening to music is beneficial to humans, by subjecting them to hours and hours, days and days of the most mundane, repetitive note twaddling ...

Frank

I would like to find whoever was your science teacher in school and beat him about the head and shoulders for filling your head with stuff like this.
Meaning that?

a) A scientist is always smart enough to understand exactly what must be done so that setup of the experiment never interferes with the accuracy of the results,
or
b) A scientist always approaches every experiment completely impartially, never has preconceived ideas of what the results should be, so never uses procedures that may influence the possible outcomes to fall in a particular direction,
or
c) A scientist always has a deeper understanding of the fundamental processes that underlie some area of research, so that the experiment never confuses elements of the situation that are quite orthogonal, is always focused on, and only on, precisely the aspect that needs to be understood more exactly.

Any or all of the above are probably true, I must admit ...

One course that quite impressed me at the time was an explanation of the process of a "simple" measuring of black body radiation, I think that was the essence of it. The lectures wore on, elaborating the exquisitely complex methodology and techniques that had to be used to ensure that the result was meaningful, that the number, or numbers, derived at the end had any significance. If just one tiny detail of the experiment was flawed then the whole exercise was for nought ...

Now, I'm not quite sure why that thought came to mind ...

Frank

Last edited:
fas42 said:
But mimicing, using trickery, what someone has genuinely done is not demonstrating the genuine article can't be the real deal,
That is a good point which is often overlooked. The fact that someone can come up with a plausible explanation does not prove it is the correct one, unless all other explanations have been a priori prohibited by (unstated) assumptions.

aardvarkash10 said:
BTW, there is no alternative to "conventional" science (bar ignorance) so the adjective is superfluous
That could be interpreted as a religious statement and therefore against forum rules?

jerryo said:
It's the 21st Century, I repeat 21st Century, there are no psychic powers, no ghosts, no telekenesis, no Gods, no afterlife. Accept it, and move on.
Now we get a bold assertion of atheism.

I firmly believe in the existence of phenomena which some might call paranormal or supernatural. All monotheists do, although they differ on the extent to which these things still happen today. I see no conflict between this and the pursuit of science; I am a physicist. Two groups can happily do science: people who don't believe in a God, and people who believe that their God won't normally fiddle with their experiments.

The apparent failure of the psychics in the experiment mentioned could arise from two things:
1. they don't have paranormal powers,
2. they do have paranormal powers but the source, whatever it is, did not want to play ball with the scientists.
I suspect explanation 1 is true in this case, but I do not discount 2 as being impossible.

The connection with audio is that explanation 2 is irrelevant there, so it must be 1. Then we find the same excuses being trotted out. I don't think even the wildest tweaker would claim that his crystals/cones/cables/whatever improve the sound by supernatural means.

I won't try the Mods patience any further!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.