Anyone noticed Google getting weird lately?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Even though they own YouTube, I do not believe that is the way their search works. They have always had an occasional problem with multiple of results for the same location. Your results are based on everyone's click history, your click history, where you are in the world, which of their centers is doing the search, what page you were last on and all kinds of secret sauce. One of those secrets, I'll let it out, is PEOPLE. People all over the world watching the news and tweets to see what is hot. At the same time, they are updating your click history and generating the right side paid links, charges for those links, and all in 1.4 seconds.

Bing tends to provide better shopping results. The Web was a lot smaller when Alta Vista was there. It was about the first engine that was not just keyword index based.

A sponsored link will be on the left only if it meets their other measures. If a sponsored link is successful in topic and traffic, it will get posted higher. That means they are doing a better job of helping their clients. If the position is set only by the payment, it is identified by the background highlight. "add related to.." If they did not do this, and clearly put it in their contract, then they could not make any money off their paid adds.

I am not on their pay. I deal with big data for a living so I study these technologies. This week, they are still on top of the game. What is very important to me is that their use case only has to be close enough, where my customers must have absolute correct results but can wait a few more seconds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.