Plants, audio and humans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Several years ago, mother gift me a small book about a man who was studying about plants perception, and he discovered casually that plants would feel some human acts.

Few time ago, I found the pdf of the original job by Cleve Backster:

http://www.rebprotocol.net/clevebaxter/Evidence of a Primary Perception In Plant Life 23pp.pdf

This book was a condensed version of it job.

I believe he is true, and although plant's possibly can't listen, perhaps they have some audio perception, and some other more. In fact, I ussually talk to my plants, the problem will be when I believe they ask to me!.

What do you think?

Backster's "work" was thoroughly discredited decades ago. I'm amazed that stuff like this still pops up. Maybe N-Rays will make a comeback?

Galston, A. W. and C. L. Slayman. (1979). The not-so-secret life of plants. American Scientist, 67 337-344.

Horowitz, K. A., D.C. Lewis, and E. L. Gasteiger. 1975. Plant primary perception. Science 189: 478-480.

Kmetz, J. M. 1977. A study of primary perception in plants and animal life. Journal of the American Society for Psychical Research 71(2): 157-170.

Kmetz, John M. 1978. Plant perception. The Skeptical Inquirer. Spring/Summer, 57-61.

It's now safe to eat Brussels sprouts.

Almost always some guy does something strange, is criticized, I read the work entirely, and although I can't repeat his experiment (I had no poligraph and I don't know how to use it), I had done certain simple observations that appear that he is true. In this article (Or work as SY call it), he made a casual observation, and then, a more scientific one, where he could check his first views. Then, it is said that he didn't use "scientific method". I don't know.

I currently and usually talk to my plants, and cuddle some trees I made from seed, and that was a remembrance of my grandfather Roberto.

Almost always some guy does something strange, is criticized, I read the work entirely, and although I can't repeat his experiment (I had no poligraph and I don't know how to use it), I had done certain simple observations that appear that he is true. In this article (Or work as SY call it), he made a casual observation, and then, a more scientific one, where he could check his first views. Then, it is said that he didn't use "scientific method". I don't know.

I currently and usually talk to my plants, and cuddle some trees I made from seed, and that was a remembrance of my grandfather Roberto.

You can easily make a polygraph measuring resistance of plant leaf's surface. Record this resistance in a file, build a curve from saved data, and check how it correlates with your attempts to communicate with plants.

And yes, I agree that presence of articles that try to discredit some work does not man that the work had been discredited forever. That only means that the work drew attention of that people who tried to discredit it, no more.

You can easily make a polygraph measuring resistance of plant leaf's surface. Record this resistance in a file, build a curve from saved data, and check how it correlates with your attempts to communicate with plants.

Ok, yes it´s true, but as i unknow the meaning of the curves, as did Backster, then I surely can't understand what the curve is trying to say to me. This is the same case as you have a VOM with a resistor burned in it. You can measure in the power supply, say, 12V, but if you don't understand that in this line must be 220V, then if you plug a 12V lamp it will explode. This is for me, the same example.

Yesterday, chatting with a friend say to me "Karlson speakers has resonances, and the tweeter must not be mounted coaxially as K suggested". But do any other designed something better than the K coupler to have the authority needed to criticize the K job? I don't know such a job, and I respect the Karlson work and put the tweeter coaxially.

It is for me so unfair to criticize the work of any man, if no thing better than that has be done.

Sorry if my english isn't too good.

Not that it holds any real scientific value.

But didn't they do a test on this on Mythbusters a few years back? With peas? They had some small compact cd systems they put different cd's in on repeat, in different greenhouses. The music did influence the plants, though I do not remember the result.

Edit:
About scientific research: I rarely interpret any results from any scientific investigation as fact! The results change pending on who is funding the research, and who/what the research staff is/stand for! Most things can be proved/disproved just by changing approach or order of testing, slight changes in climate or surroundings can greatly influence almost any result. A good example is t/s parameters.

Edit2:
Pano: Indeed interesting about the name, we say "Bakst" for making bread, cakes or stuff like that. "Julebakst" making cookies and pastry for christmas.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.