A $350,000.00 speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wayne,
Isn't it funny how people can all be lumped into a single category.....I am sure that there are just as many people with money as not who enjoy good sounding systems. Their advantage is they don't have to worry about spending the money to purchase whatever they want. Without these people there wouldn't be a market for many speakers we all like and also there wouldn't be many quality drivers to chose from to make your DIY projects. All you would have are cheap Chinese mass produced devices and then what. You wouldn't have much to play a great DIY amp through if price controlled the entire market.

Steven

Not my style

That Italian guy that build those massive cement horns is my cup of tea--might as well push the limits on reasonable design and see/hear what happens. If you're going to put a cement foundation in, do it with style! :D

The guy probably dumped the speakers to build a home theater system for his new OLED smart TV. Those giants would not work well for that sort of thing so time to take it in the shorts and sell the monsters.

I'll bid $50 as long as he ships just the drivers--he can keep the glass and cabinets. :p

Being a millionaire often isn't what it's cracked up to be:

The Millionaire Next Door said:
Focusing on those with a net worth of at least $1 million, their surprising results reveal fundamental qualities of this group that are diametrically opposed to today's earn-and-consume culture, including living below their means, allocating funds efficiently in ways that build wealth, ignoring conspicuous consumption, being proficient in targeting marketing opportunities, and choosing the "right" occupation.
More here, but you get the idea; the easiest way to have lots of money is to keep it rather than indulging in high budget audiophoolery.

Wayne,
Isn't it funny how people can all be lumped into a single category.....I am sure that there are just as many people with money as not who enjoy good sounding systems. Their advantage is they don't have to worry about spending the money to purchase whatever they want. Without these people there wouldn't be a market for many speakers we all like and also there wouldn't be many quality drivers to chose from to make your DIY projects. All you would have are cheap Chinese mass produced devices and then what. You wouldn't have much to play a great DIY amp through if price controlled the entire market.

Steven

Yep I wonder how long before the haters are doing a DIY Version ..:)

Hi all,
All discussions of value aside, I heard these at CES a few years ago when they were first released. They sounded amazing and different than anything else that I heard previously. The next day, I heard the full MBL system with the 101s which was equally incredible but also totally different. The Supremes (or as some called them the swedish delight) are not just boxes with off the shelf drivers though you can buy then from madisound... The cabinets have a good deal of carbon fiber and other laminated materials and the finish is amazing. This doesn't necessarily justify the price to all but these are pretty special.
Nate

I just doubt that they are anymore accurate then a set of top notch studio main monitors like Quested HM415 for example, they come in at half the sale price of those and that includes amplification and the owner/designer of Quested supervising the install personally.

And no I haven't got a pair of HM415s myself but I know a guy who has and Roger Quested did fly from the UK to Mexico for the installation process.
I have heard of an 'audiophile' company (though not this one here) selling less for more and then having the cheek to charge an extra $20k to install them.

Being a millionaire often isn't what it's cracked up to be:

More here, but you get the idea; the easiest way to have lots of money is to keep it rather than indulging in high budget audiophoolery.

'The Millionaire Next Door' feels a little dated these days doesn't it? The basic tenet of the book is that millionaires become wealthy by saving and investing. But in 2012 that's an uphill battle. There aren't many assets which pay more than 3% interest, and the stock market has basically been flat for the last twelve years.

Most of the millionaires I've met became rich nearly by accident; a lot of them got rich off of stock options. They basically woke up one day and found that their stock had gone from zero to a million overnight.

The blog of the vendor selling the speakers has a neat looking HTPC case that's affordable:

Newegg.com - Fractal Design Define Mini Black Micro ATX Silent PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 support and 2 x 120mm Fractal Design Silent Fans

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nice looking. Seems like 90% of the cases I see at Fry's are designed to draw as much attention to them as possible, which is really obnoxious if you have your PC in the living room.

'The Millionaire Next Door' feels a little dated these days doesn't it?
I think it's a matter of perspective. Secular bears arguably want different investment techniques than secular bulls---see here for an intro and look back through the older essays on bulls, bears, and long valuation waves if you're curious about patterns and indicators---but I would say the basics don't change. It still comes down to ensuring one's income exceeds one's outgo, preserving capital, and making informed assessments of risk/return tradeoffs. Not that I'd mind a million dollar stock option windfall if one came my way...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.