thermal emissivity question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First, let me say that I'm not a physics or engineering student looking for an easy answer. I'm an idiot looking for an easy answer. :p

If I have an aluminum tube with cool air flowing through it, what is the best scenario to mitigate heat transfer from the outside air?

Inside/outside polished?
Inside/outside black?
Inside black, outside polished?
Inside polished, outside black?

Thanks

wrap it in insulation? - “super insulation” combines convection blocking with layers of low emissivity reflective foils

the radiative coupling to air only occurs where the air is opaque to the radiation wavelengths

you are more often radiatively coupled to other opaque materials in the field of view of the radiating surface – can be clouds, cloudy nights are warmer than clear – you can freeze water by radiative cooling in clear dry high desert summer nights

Thems big words there! If you meen heat trasnsfer though:
An unpolished surface has more surface area, therefore more heat transfer, negligible though. If the heatsink is in the dark, it does not care what colour it is. I have not done any tests, but I would assume that anodized aluminium would have a lower rate of heat transfer than natural alu. E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.