Thoughts about retirement...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
The sudden epidemic of liver cancer in non-drinkers? Maybe mouldy peanuts used to make peanut butter, i should maybe stop eating PNut butter as I stopped drinking already, But hell; you have to die of something.
It seems you need to be happy in your own skin to get the most out of retirement, those who are content seem to last the longest and pass more peacefully

Bought one or creamed by one??
It happens, I still haven't got back on a pushbike and I was knocked off years ago, I blame my wife; she has a nice Renault Megane that is fun to drive.

Consultants joke (bad one) "If civil engineers build bridges what do rude ones do?"

Got creamed.

I was riding north and a MX6 came in from the east. driver was a young kid in a hurry to get to the gym for a work out. He didn't stop for the stop sign, and cut the corner, going shallow through my lane. I was doing 23mph at the time and thought he was stopping. I looked down to check my gears, and when I looked up he was in my lane (he was looking back to the right, not where he was going).

His b.Bumper caught my rt leg mid way between ankle and knee, I hit the hood with both hands and rotated horizontal. I then smashed the windshield from my hips down, and flipped up and over the car landing in the road. Luckily no other cars wee coming.

Smashed the heck out of my helmet, which was a small price to pay. No apparent head injury (how does one ever know?).

I tried riding bicycle again, but it was never the same after the wreck.

While recuperating, I bought a basket case 1975 HD Sportster and spent over a year restoring it. I was still in a cast with an intramedullary Nail when I started riding it.

retirement... sort of

I "retired" at 37 after putting spouse thru med school, building high energy lasers, ink jet printers, microwave plumbing, patented inventions, etc.... stayed home as house dad for 15 years until I set up her independent practice and have run that for 10+ years now

Currently, we've sold out to a local hospital (cheaper insurance, 5 weeks paid time off, etc.) independent solo practice is a dinosaur... so I'm now a "site manager" @ 62 for a few years...

We saved and invested wisely, so I can walk whenever... started faceting gems, collected over 40+ years, building more wood related stuff... playing with HT more than 2 channel audio. Got plenty to do when the day comes to quit the 9 to 5 job

My advise is to work to live, not the reverse...

John L.

I'll never forget a guy at work who said 12 months and I'm retired at the official date of 65...so he got to 65 and died 3 months later...it was a real shame a real nice guy..and he was so looking forward to it.

I had a friend retire and then soon after his wife died unexpectedly, very sad. Remember what I said Barrie Gilbert, Bob Dobkin, Paul Brokaw, are all still working some approaching 80!

I actually never had any concrete plans to retire. I was getting worried that I kept buying stuff related to this hobby ( audio ) but was getting not enough time to put things together. So the worry was that eventually I'd finish with employment but not get the time or be 'able enough' to use all that I'd bought.

But like most people things worked out differently. The dot com bust in 2000 started a chain of unfortunate events and I couldn't find full time employment again. Most jobs were time bound consultancy and I finally got fed up and decided to call it a day. So now I'm free ! Financially I had very poor planning but things turned out such that I was forced to save due to the kind of work I did ( entailed lots of traveling). That way you have no time to do any real spending ! Ended up being self sufficient ( not rich ).

So I have a lot of material to work on for a few years at least. Life span is not predictable I think. In my father's family there were 4 sons. Three died before 60 and the eldest died at 84 due to a fall ! So where do I stand ? Can't say for sure but based on my health I think 70 would be a possible limit !:) But then if you see no posts from me for several weeks , you'd know I've left for the next abode !:D

It's been a chequered life but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I try to learn about life by reflecting on every incident that takes place and I think I do get answers. Keeps me content.

I don't long for a very long life but I do long for continued good health so that I can keep doing what I like till I drop dead ! That should be OK. My dad's people practically all dropped dead ! Heart attack ! Nothing could be done. I'm careful about that and take precautionary measures to try and avoid such a situation. But I've seen very careful people also die of heart attacks . One such person died two day ago. He was 40 ! Couldn't live a cleaner life than he did and he was such a cool person. Totally unflappable. Yet he dropped dead due to a heart attack ! So we cannot take anything for granted ! There is more to life than we will ever know. ;)

Got creamed.
Yikes!
Smashed the heck out of my helmet, which was a small price to pay. No apparent head injury (how does one ever know?).
From a person who has broken two helmets I must say they are a cheap and very important accessory. I cringe when I see kids, mostly girls, not wearing them because it messes their hair. My thought on helmets? "If you have something worth putting in one, you do"
I tried riding bicycle again, but it was never the same after the wreck.
Very sorry to hear that.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
From a person who has broken two helmets I must say they are a cheap and very important accessory. I cringe when I see kids, mostly girls, not wearing them because it messes their hair. My thought on helmets? "If you have something worth putting in one, you do"

I've had countless motorcycle crashes and there was no helmet, just sunglasses. I did slide most of the times so no harm done other than ruined jackets and pants. A helmet in summer is such a crime, I really only used it when it was cold. Oh! I broke my ankle once but no damage to the head (or so I think). Just lucky.

I don't ride big machines anymore, I'm addicted to speed so it was a matter of time before something really bad happened. I realized that one day and that was it. Retired from bikes.

I don't long for a very long life but I do long for continued good health so that I can keep doing what I like till I drop dead !

You might want to investigate B100. All of the amino acids your body needs in an easily accessible form. Floods your system in fact. The result is long term energy, a thorough cleansing of your various icky stuff ducts, orange pee for a month as you get clean and generally brighter and more useful days. Don't take this in the evening, you will just disturb your sleep patterns, take it in the morning. If you like the results you could try a daily dose of Beta Kerotene, vitamin E and vitamin C. Taken together and again flooding your system, they will help scavenge oxy ash from your blood and dump it into your kidneys. Helps enormously with available oxygen supply. I doubt any of this will make you live longer, but you will have a good bit more useful activity till you shuffle off.

All of this was recommended to me by a sports medicine doctor, back 20 years ago when I was riding a bike every day. Using the entire combo I could ride 100 miles and fall off the bike with used up legs but without any leg pain or oxygen deprivation problems.

Bud

hey maybe that's the stuff lance was "using"

my old man drank booze like it was cheaper than water, smoked 2 packs a day of unfiltered smokes, ate only meat and potatoes, his only exercise was walking 2 doors down to the corner store to buy more beer and he croaked at 78.

A person has either good DNA or not good DNA

When I retired at 52 I took up refereeing soccer and got a full physical every spring to be safe. I heard of too many people my age droping dead after a little extra exercise so I just wanted to be safe. One day last year I came home from a game and was ******* blood, not good, a genuine WTF moment. A couple of days later the doc said I had kidney cancer. The experts said I had it for about 5 years, go figure.

Some folk will be miles away from some type of toxic sludge and will get cancer from just thinking about the toxins, others can drink the stuff and be fine.

Retirement is something I'm just starting to think about. I'm 42 now, and in the last 6 months I feel like I'm waking up to the reality of mortality. Thoughts like "work to live" and "if you are not doing what you want with your time, then move on" (probably misquoted) are feeling truer than ever, though I feel somewhat trapped in a decent job with great benefits. And actually if I wasn't married and carrying benefits for my wife and possible-future-child then I'd probably have moved on already. There's tension here between wanting to provide and wanting to live an example of someone living life to the fullest. I feel changes are coming but I'm not certain from which direction.

My father, now 85, still works 4 days a week at a business that he owns. He had about a year and a half of unemployment back in the 80's that seemed to drive him nuts. I imagine that he will work until he dies. He drives an hour each way, so hopefully it won't happen on the highway. At some point 10 or 15 years ago, he said to me "all I really want is to be on a little boat in a lake, fishing". Yet he won't allow himself this pleasure. Interestingly enough, I've never known him to fish.

I hope that I will do work until I die, as I get enjoyment from productivity. I really don't aspire to retire so much as to alleviate the stress of financial concerns, and to love what I do. I've found many interests fulfilling, and am open to getting better at obtaining and managing money.

And actually if I wasn't married and carrying benefits for my wife and possible-future-child then I'd probably have moved on already.

Whoa. You're 42 and have not had children yet? I think that boat has left the dock my friend. There was a recent study that showed that as men age, their chances of producing children with serious birth defects (Downs, etc.) goes way up. It seems that your swimmers age also... and get tired... and deformed... :eek:

So, if you're serious about having kids, consider adopting, and working for them instead of you. :2c:

Sucking down massive doses of vitamins, water, coffee or most anything else in an effort to "flush the toxins" is not recommended as a rational treatment regimen... and often exacerbates the underlying problem(s) or creates new ones...

... kinda analogous to spending thousands on speaker cables, eh...

Sucking down massive doses of vitamins, water, coffee or most anything else in an effort to "flush the toxins" is not recommended as a rational treatment regimen... and often exacerbates the underlying problem(s) or creates new ones...

... kinda analogous to spending thousands on speaker cables, eh...

If we're talking about Gerson, well, they say that the coffee enemas help the liver deal with the toxins released by the large consumption of various fresh fruit and vegetable juices. The two go hand in hand, so to speak. Dr. Gerson did some research that showed that coffee enemas have a very different effect than drinking the stuff. Anyway, it's all in their literature.

But, taking large doses of anything can certainly be bad for you, even if it's vitamin C.