Thoughts about retirement...

The amount of schedule slippage is directly related to the number of managers, experts, and other people not actually working on issues that are on the project.

Interesting in VDH's "The Second World Wars" the US infantry on the ground had an enormous number of backup in logistics, medical, food etc. While we all loathe the bureacuracy, it seems they had a real positive effect..

There is another problem I have alluded to in past posts, and that is that we live in about the 4th or 5th most expensive urban area in the U.S. and we really like it here, i.e. there is no plan to relocate elsewhere. Somewhere along the way we've both realized we're pretty well wed to this neck of the woods and will be planted here when the end comes.. LOL

As my company is in OH but a bunch of grand-kids in NJ, we have friends in both spheres. Cost of living in Western PA, Ohio, Indiana and Michigan is about 1/4 less than Mass. All the aforementioned have thriving culture even though they don't regularly read the NYTimes. My sister moved from a swanky Boston suburb just a few weeks ago.

I made a career change to teaching at 42 and retired at 65.

My plan was to retire at 63, but in my school system there is a significant pay step at 20 years. I ran some numbers 4-5 years ago and it became apparent that if my "high-3" years of income were at the 20-year step, it would significantly increase my retirement income. Simultaneously, it made me wait to collect SS, so that was increased by waiting as well.

Looking back, it was a good move. I had three consecutive years of pretty good kids and 20-odd years into my career I had my teaching routine down pat.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip>

As my company is in OH but a bunch of grand-kids in NJ, we have friends in both spheres. Cost of living in Western PA, Ohio, Indiana and Michigan is about 1/4 less than Mass. All the aforementioned have thriving culture even though they don't regularly read the NYTimes. My sister moved from a swanky Boston suburb just a few weeks ago.

It is expensive here, but it is living nearly on the edge of the ocean that is one of the things that keeps us hooked. My wife's ancestors came over in the 1630s and have not strayed from MA in 4 centuries, seems ingrained somehow. My family is scattered to the 4 winds, but have strong MA connections too. I have a lot of long time friends here. There are some health concerns that also keep me anchored to this neck of the woods, admitting though that good medical care is available elsewhere.