Thoughts about retirement...

Most of us keep saying " till I die !"
Since we are all into exploring and experimenting with known and not fully known parameters we should all stop using the word 'die' ! :)

Since ancient wisdom ( globally ) always talked about life being a continuous and never ending thing and existing "somewhere" , we should say " till we transform " ( or use some other word)! "Die" kind of sounds negative !
We will transform into something , now believed to be a non physical existence with an 'energy' form . True or not is hard to say inspite of all the results of modern scientific experimentation we can read about.

But I do believe we do go on and I also believe it will be in tune with how we have developed our minds . Good guys have a good time and unpleasant guys have an unpleasant time. It's up to us !

Does it matter ?
Just " Take care of today ( pleasantly!) and tomorrow takes care of itself.....even from an infinite point of view ! :)
:drink:

Last edited:
yagoolar, I am no where near of giving up. When I was 59 I took a long look at my finances and determined that If I took out an extra $1000 a month out of my retirement savings I could do a lot of stuff right now while my health was good. I have seen too many people save and save and end up in a nursing home at 70 or worse. The plan looked good on paper and I would run out of cash around 85. Satistically I would live to 80. So I would have 5 years surplus of cash. Now the odds of me running out of money are a lot less.

I have been doing tons of reading and the most usefull if depressing information is in medical journals. Most of the stuff on the internet is misleading or downright lies.

Supplements work well when a person's diet and general health is poor. If a person's diet and general health is fine, supplements have very little benifit or can cause more problems. When I come across anything interesting I run it by my nephew who is a cancer reseacher. He either says it is pure bs or won't do anything for me. My oncologist had me stop taking daily low dose asprin and vitimin C as they can cause kidney problems on my remaining kidney. Kidney cancer in general is resistant to chemo therapy and radition therapy. The subtype of kiney cancer that I have is even more resistant to chemo and radition but the good news it is more survivable.

Time to go listen to my new preamp some more. Vacuming and dirty dishes can wait.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Interesting subject - retirement: here's one way to do it -- work for the state or federal government. Work 20 years and at 50 retire from it. Then start getting the retirement pay. next go to work for private company and retire at 66 with SSecurity to add to the pot. While working, get royalties if you can and bank it in dividend paying stocks..stocks that arent going away -- like utilities.. stable stuff. At 66 you will have two retirement incomes plus social security and dividends.
BUT -
You have to have a home paid off by retirement or you cant retire. Making monthly house payments on retirement income wont work for most people. [After working all your life, bordom is the first thing that hit me when i got off the merry-go-round of the working life. So I slowly started finding new fun things to do.] - Richard Marsh

After working all your life, bordom is the first thing that hit me when i got off the merry-go-round of the working life. So I slowly started finding new fun things to do.

By the time you've been working for a decade or two, you forget what it's like to be bored, so you stay permanently resentful, envying teachers and their 12 weeks a year holidays, or those who manage to engineer retirement at 50. (Well I do anyway!)

I think everyone should be given a 6 month break every five years so they can be reminded just what it is to be bored, and maybe actually crave going back to work.

I have no possibility of retiring. Financials have been decimated and owning part of a transformer company in the US is not any way to offset what the "market" has done. I do have stocks in world dominating companies. Wal Mart, McDonalds, Sisco, Johnson & Johnson etc. and a fund that holds those sorts of stocks. All of them pay dividends that are currently in drip mode. Unfortunately, holding stocks in well run companies just doesn't provide much. Of course, the money that was invested in growth stocks has tanked to zero.

On the other hand maybe someone will want to buy all of the intellectual property involved in the audio portion of the transformer company. It is original and in the case of Guitar Amps ground breaking, as I can "voice" the outputs.

hehehehe as if!!!

Bud

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I think,

That everyone should think that you go to work until you don't have to.
Then its should be a choice if you like working..however everything is set to stop you getting out, then they can whip you within an inch of your life..

Of corse by the time you realise this its probably to late..:eek:

I should add that most people think they have got to work until they are 65/66 or older..it might not be possible to get out early but I think if you were told that when you started work it might help..ie its almost like you are conditioned to think you have to work until you are 66 or older...

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Interesting subject - retirement: here's one way to do it -- work for the state or federal government. Work 20 years and at 50 retire from it.

That is only true for military, police and related job classifications. For civil servants, it's 30 years and age 55 on the old system, or 30 years and age 62 for the new one. It's no free lunch, military and police retirements are peanuts. The new system took over in 1986.

I think,

That everyone should think that you go to work until you don't have to.
Then its should be a choice if you like working..however everything is set to stop you getting out, then they can whip you within an inch of your life..

Of corse by the time you realise this its probably to late..:eek:

I should add that most people think they have got to work until they are 65/66 or older..it might not be possible to get out early but I think if you were told that when you started work it might help..ie its almost like you are conditioned to think you have to work until you are 66 or older...

Regards
M. Gregg

I thought there was some European country that forced you to retire at 65, but I can't remember which one, if any.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
In the UK,

It used to be 65 for men and 60 for women..now its altered to 66 for both with an increase to 70 and beyond, however you can work as long as you want if you can do the job now..
At one time 65 was time to leave the job..

The problem is that you get into thinking that you cannot engineer a way out..
and that without the state pension you have to keep working..

So people don't plan and just keep working because thats what you are supposed to do?

Its not until you start to get pains in your joints that you realise perhaps someone is telling lies..however now its to late..
The 70 + increase is phased across younger people so they may have to work until 70 or 75 before pension age..

Regards
M. Gregg

In the UK,

It used to be 65 for men and 60 for women..now its altered to 66 for both with an increase to 70 and beyond, however you can work as long as you want if you can do the job now..
At one time 65 was time to leave the job..

The problem is that you get into thinking that you cannot engineer a way out..
and that without the state pension you have to keep working..

So people don't plan and just keep working because thats what you are supposed to do?

Its not until you start to get pains in your joints that you realise perhaps someone is telling lies..however now its to late..
The 70 + increase is phased across younger people so they may have to work until 70 or 75 before pension age..

Regards
M. Gregg

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

While I have a generous defined benefit retirement plan, divorce has wrecked my ability to make it happen any time soon. Oh well, at least I can work at home all the time now.

.......So I slowly started finding new fun things to do........] - Richard Marsh

If one gets interested in cooking and making wine plus of course audio, it takes away a huge chunk of time . Then you will have to 'plan' holidays again. You can't always just take off ! Wine making has periods when you just have to be around . So the more types of wine you make the busier you get ! ;)

Retired at 45 in 1997 and have never looked back. That goal was set when I was 21 and planned for it. Had a chance to take a golden (more bronze) handshake, so took it.

It's a matter of sorting out the priorities in your life.... such as money vs time to enjoy life. I'm glad I did as from 56 have had several health issues including a heart attack and cervical spondylitis. I've seen several friends and neighbours pass away a few years before retirement age even though they could have retired comfortably earlier and perhaps could still been living because of a more relaxed life.

It gave me an opportunity to pursue other interests that I would never had time for if I was working full time.

Even with retirement, there doesn't seem enough hours so boredom was never an issue. That has changed a little recently with loss of hand fine motor skills and constant pain but I've had 15 years of retirement so would be still a happy man if I passed away tomorrow.

This is only 1 story out of 7 billion, but worked for me.