What is your favorite book?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those were fun. A favorite book is like a favorite child. Unfair. The Dictionary is right up there, Tinker Tailor Solder Spy was good. I have probablly spend a hundred hours with Illustrated History of Historic Architecture, and studied The Scientific Design of Manifolds. A book with big impact is Peopleware. Grapes of Wrath, Time Enough for Love, and the list goes on.

I was very fortunate to have a history teacher in school who " by the way" handed out a list of 100 books educated people have read. I have to admit, I never made it through The Art of War. I think I made it to about 90 of them.

One's favorite book is usually the one they are reading now. The last book I had in my hands was Chinese Domestic Furniture In Photographs and Measured Drawings.

Least favorite book is a fun list: Anything by F.S. Fitzgerald. :D

I enthusiastically admit that The Illiad is my favorite tale, followed by The Odyssey. God bless, Vergil, but The Aeneid pales in comparison, although I've used some of the lines when I've had to give speaches. 40+ years later, kicking and screaming the entire time, i have to admit that the good scholastics and priests told us we would remember all of The Illiad, and we have. Just incredible when you go to a high school reunion and folks recite passages from the Illiad, Odysey and Aeneid, you'd've thunk we went to Brit public school like Inspector Morris.

Aside from that, Mark Twain and Dumas were always the faves...

here's a few good titles....

East Of Eden by John Steinbeck
100 years of Solitude and Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
the Handmaids Tail by Margaret Atwood
Suttree by Cormac McCarthy
Neuromancer by William Gibson

I could go on and on....

Corrigan and the blue crater. First library book.
Lord of the rings. Read with girls four times. Good for a snuggle.
Spy story. Good title, clever plot, sharp wit.
The flounder. For making sense of Solidarnosc.
Germinal. For the anarchist, and the shocking riot.
Sometimes a great notion. For not being too clever.
The communist manifesto. Great propaganda.
The german ideology. Nice theory.
Watt. For being not to everyone's taste.
Catch 22. For being outrageously true.

Heinlein rates up there (Stranger, Time Enough, Fear no Evil, Cat, Friday, Beast, etc..). Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy is simply CLASSIC. Sherlock Holmes - read them all. Ray Bradbury (Martian Chronicles, Wicked, Tattooed Man, etc.). Tom Robbins is a GENIUS....

So many others.

I don't know that I can pick a single "favorite book". But there are a couple of titles that come to mind that I've replaced numerous times to keep them in my library. These are (in no particular order)

Glory Road - Robert Heinlein
A Confederate General from Big Sur - Richard Brautigan

So if you pick up a copy of either, enjoyed the read, and you're looking to give it/them a good home. Send them my way. I've probably loaned my out again. (and they never come back...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.