Never ever rent a car from Hertz Corporation, they are cheating!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Never rent a car from Hertz!
Being in Miami, Fl. a month ago I rented their car. They warned that their fuel is more than twice expensive than from gas station, so returning the car I fueled it up to the top of the tank at the nearest gas station. They checked everything carefully when I brought it back to them. But yesterday, a month after, I got a letter from them stating that despite I returned the car with full tank, when the vehicle was serviced for the next rental, 7.68 gallons of gas were needed to refuel the vehicle. So they decided to correct my rental charges and to charge my debit card for additional $71.35.
Can somebody imagine that the client can be held responsible for what happened to the car after he returned it back?
What shall I do in such situation except never ever rent a car from Hertz?

There ought to be a Return Checklist so an inspection can document mileage, new damage, fuel level, missing spare tire & jack, and whatnot. With both parties present during the inspection. At this time, they can say pretty much whatever they want to.
If you have any such document it should certainly be legally binding. Whether it's worth the small claims hassle is another question. Perhaps copies sent to the bank and Hertz with a dispute letter could get some action taken.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You should as quickly as possible file a dispute with your credit card company. If you still have the receipt from the return, they're likely to reverse that charge.

I think Anatoliy used his debit card to pay for this, debit card transactions may be disputed but the process may be slightly different than is the case with a credit card, since it is your bank you may have to fill out paper work at a local branch disputing the charge.

Here is a good link on the process: Debit Card Disputes and How They Work | Master Your Card

There ought to be a Return Checklist so an inspection can document mileage, new damage, fuel level, missing spare tire & jack, and whatnot. With both parties present during the inspection. At this time, they can say pretty much whatever they want to.
If you have any such document it should certainly be legally binding. Whether it's worth the small claims hassle is another question. Perhaps copies sent to the bank and Hertz with a dispute letter could get some action taken.

Unfortunately my wife threw away that inspection document, we did not expect it to be needed. But we have another document, a letter, where they write, "When the vehicle was returned, the fuel tank was noted as "Full". However, when the vehicle was serviced for the next rental, 7.68 gallons of gas were needed to refuel the vehicle".

Of course, I will fill the claim to my credit card company as soon as the transaction appears. I have a statement with transaction on the nearest to them gas station, with it's number. I went there from highway (found by GPS) to return as full as possible tank because their Hertz price was more than $9 per gallon.

Anatoliy

I think Anatoliy used his debit card to pay for this, debit card transactions may be disputed but the process may be slightly different than is the case with a credit card, since it is your bank you may have to fill out paper work at a local branch disputing the charge.

Here is a good link on the process: Debit Card Disputes and How They Work | Master Your Card

I don't remember which card I used. I hope it was AmEx that protects own customers by default. Let's wait for statements... No, I never use debit cards except in banktellers. It was them who wrote about a debit card.

Last edited:
I suggest you pay in cash.

Good luck with that! I don't know of a single rental car company that accepts cash here in the states, possibly rent a wreck though. In many cases your charge card, especially Am Ex also automatically covers you for insurance on the vehicle you are driving.

Also...take it from me... BUY THE RENTERS INSURANCE POLICY!!!!! I rented a car in Vegas once and decided to drive down to LA for a couple days to see a friend... well, while I was down there I got cut off by a movie studio grip truck (Mel Brooks no less!) and it severely damaged the left front fender and tore off the side view mirror. A day later I drove it back to Vegas and turned in the car... and because I had bought the renters insurance policy was able to literally walk away from it no questions asked. All I had to do was give them was the L.A. accident report number.

On the other hand a friend that rented a car and got in an accident in which the rental car was totaled had not bought the insurance policy and was forced to pay the entire value of the vehicle on the spot... She also could not show on th spot that her own auto insurance wold cover it (it did not anyway) so the rental company went after her... she ended up having to declare bankruptcy... Read your contract...! Yes, they still can do this to you.

Mark

Good luck with that! I don't know of a single rental car company that accepts cash here in the states, possibly rent a wreck though. In many cases your charge card, especially Am Ex also automatically covers you for insurance on the vehicle you are driving.
Mark
This is very strange, how the gov allow companies refuse the currency money??:eek:
Once they get the user card number they can charge any time, any amount.
Here refuse the local currency is not allowed, I can pay debt, credit, cash or check, at my choice.

Unfortunately my wife threw away that inspection document, we did not expect it to be needed. But we have another document, a letter, where they write, "When the vehicle was returned, the fuel tank was noted as "Full". However, when the vehicle was serviced for the next rental, 7.68 gallons of gas were needed to refuel the vehicle".
I don't know what you rented, but 7 gallons is quite a bit for the average sedan. I know my vehicle has only a 19 gallon tank, and I would guess 30-40 gallon tanks are for big SUVs and pickups.
Anyway, "When the vehicle was returned, the fuel tank was noted as Full" is the only part you're responsible for, and I'd let them know that. Of course they already know, but it seems they need reminding.

edit: BTW, the credit card requirement is a sort of security deposit for the company which assures not only payment but helps verify the identity and contact information of the renter. It can protect the renter also. I would bet Anatoliy could get a refund eventually, but it might require work to keep the wheels of justice turning.

Last edited:
I don't know what you rented, but 7 gallons is quite a bit for the average sedan.

It is 13.2 gallon for Toyota Corolla. It was almost full when we drove to airport, but I exited especially on the last gas station exit and added as much as it could take paying $12 for gas. I did not want to pay more than $9 per gallon they charge, otherwise I would bring it as is.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
so more than 1/2 a tank!! Sounds like either someone interal syphoned the tank after return or pulled a swifty (and filled their own car) when the service was done. Does the service report indicate the odometer reading, and is that different to when you dropped off the car?

Tony.

so more than 1/2 a tank!! Sounds like either someone interal syphoned the tank after return or pulled a swifty (and filled their own car) when the service was done. Does the service report indicate the odometer reading, and is that different to when you dropped off the car?

I have no idea what happened after I brought them the car, they accepted it, checked, and signed the information. They should do own investigation instead of demanding money from the customer. Definitely somebody there was cheating, but I have no idea who, and it is their business to find the truth. What they did, is absolutely weird.

Last edited:
We rented a car from Hertz in Ireland. The car had 70,000kilometers on it and banged up a bit. The next day the transmision failed. We were on the hook for a new tranny. After a lot of phone calls we were given another car and we were charged 1cent for the tranny. A month after we got home we received a visa bill for $1400 for the transmission. Lucky for us our credit card company had car rental insurance and covered the cost. The rental car story is a lot longer but those are the basice details.

Also...take it from me... BUY THE RENTERS INSURANCE POLICY!!!!! I rented a car in Vegas once and decided to drive down to LA for a couple days to see a friend... well, while I was down there I got cut off by a movie studio grip truck (Mel Brooks no less!) and it severely damaged the left front fender and tore off the side view mirror. A day later I drove it back to Vegas and turned in the car... and because I had bought the renters insurance policy was able to literally walk away from it no questions asked. All I had to do was give them was the L.A. accident report number.

On the other hand a friend that rented a car and got in an accident in which the rental car was totaled had not bought the insurance policy and was forced to pay the entire value of the vehicle on the spot... She also could not show on th spot that her own auto insurance wold cover it (it did not anyway) so the rental company went after her... she ended up having to declare bankruptcy... Read your contract...! Yes, they still can do this to you.

Mark

Right. If you do not have a comprehensive insurance policy, then you must buy their insurance. Most rental car companies will not let you use your own insurance unless it is a comprehensive plan that covers rentals. My policy comprehensively covers any rental vehicle up to 10 tons, with $500 deductible, $0 on road hazard type damage, uninsured motorist or theft from the vehicle. A rock cracks the windshield or someone slams the side with a shopping cart I'm covered at no expense. If I rent a car for 3 weeks, the rental company insurance is very expensive for those 3 weeks. I would use my policy and be liable for the deductible if it is my fault the car is crashed, just as if it is my car at home. Be sure to discuss this with your insurance agent if you are about to rent a vehicle using your policy.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Years back we dropped off a Hertz rental at LAX airport. 3 months later they tried to bill the AMEX card for the full value of the car, because "It was not returned". Yeah, right. That was the second time they had lost a car and tried to bill me for it. I don't use Hertz any more.

They don't have the brightest of lights working at car rental shops anywhere. Screw-ups are common.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.