Who gets what you leave behind?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you guys ever wondered what to do with your 'stuff' after your time ?
Nowadays I see so many people crossing over to the other side at a very early age ( obituaries column in the paper) that I wonder how long my world will last as I am well past their average age !
Anyway , what to do with the 'stuff' is going to be an issue at some point of time. For a person crossing over to the other side it really doesn't matter as he/she will never require any of it again.
Many of us would have quite a lot of drivers and components, active and passive . I can't give any of it away now as I have several plans to make use of them. But inevitably a lot of it will end up being unused on D day.

What does one do to ensure that it ends up with people who will really make use of them. That way the effort of having got them will not be wasted as they will get used, at least by someone else.

Read this thread about tuberculosis.

Tuberculosis Sanatoriums - Conspiracies and Cover-ups - Shroomery Message Board

Attachments

• TB.JPG
    TB.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 79
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Jeez. Thanx for reminding me how close to the deep dark hole I really am.
I guess then that if I have so much "Stuff" I will never to be able to finish all of the projects I have in my head then I really do have too much stuff.
I guess I better make more speakers quickly or start giving :"Stuff": away real soon.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The problem is,

We keep storing stuff ready for the next project..

I think there will never be a time I have nothing stored..

However I think if I have enough stuff for two projects thats got to be the max...

The problem is the bags of old (new) resistors and capacitors..interesting that I now notice I have had some of the electrolytics for quite a few years and there is much better stuff on the market..so I have a box that is a last store..If the stuff is more than 12months old then its in the box..12 months later its in the recycle bin..Then I only buy stuff for projects as I build..

Its the only way I can do it..

the next tip is If I have a box of books in the loft thats not been opened for 4 years or more..don't open it because you will end up keeping the stuff in it just bin it..

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
I've just "sold" * my beloved 6L6GC amplifier that I built only a few years ago because none of my kids would know what to do with it or aprpeciate it or know how to repair/maintain it. It has been built for a 40 year lifespan (!) and had multiple spare parts for those which could fail and which may be difficult to obtain. It was better this way because it presumably went to someone who appreciated the amplifier.

I just finished building a pair of metronomes with the Fostex FF125WK and one daughter, the son and the wife all love them so I am sure it will find a spot. I am in the process of building a gainclone but because of severe mobility restrictions and eye issues it will just like the speakers take its time. The amplifier is meant to go with the metronomes and destined to be hooked to my Mac mini computer's output but also will have internally some volume adjustment so that gain can be increased so an ordinary iPod or MP3 player can drive it. No maintenance should be required.

Sadly, I am expecting that to be my last project.

Two years ago I dumped most of my tools and only kept only the minimum stuff required for the odd job around the house. (I've got a rare incurable disease that is slowly progressing and have been unable to work since 2001) Nowadays got very little money invested in gear that would not go to a member of the family, learned the lesson a long time ago when my priced film camera went to a member and it was not long before it was mistreated and discarded.

I have seen it before with HAM radio gear - still worth a lot of money even if it is 10 years or so old - and being brought to the dump or thrift shop because no-one has an interest and it is regarded as "old junk" and no one realises its value.

However we should not forget that life is a journey and that we should enjoy the journey and not only what happens at the end of the journey (destination). Similarly we have a hobby and I reminiscense the enjoyment of making gear even while I can buy it finished.

*: it was more like giving it away

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Here is a thought..

Imagine a pyramid opened in 1000 years time and in it is the preseved body of a HIFI enthusiast..and arround him his room exactly as it was with all the projects built on shelves and one on the bench set up for testing..

We think what we do now could never be the stuff of museums.. just as people in the 1950's bought a new tube radio..

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
One thing I would add,

I have built a low powered SE Tube amp that will be my retirement amp..It is auto bias..because I may not be able to see to adjust it..

How many old people do you know that shake so badly that it would be dangerous to go inside an amp to adjust it ..assuming I can see to do it..

I want to be able to enjoy this hobby until the end so I have made a plan for myself as well..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Big dang subs

The first project I took on was to build a pair! of subwoofers, 18" drivers in a pair of cabinets the size of a clothes washer or dryer, with 1.75 inch thick walls. I started out in this hobby knowing that very few people would want to inherit speakers this large. However, the delight in owning something that is not commercially viable to produce, and that caused my wife to come in to inform me that the neighbor's lawn was vibrating...priceless, as they say. The future is small, light, efficient, cheap... not class A power amps mated to tube pre-amps, but I build them anyway. I love amplifiers that you can only set so far up, because that is as far as you can lift them. When I'm gone, put them on Ebay or Craigslist. It matters not. It is the journey.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.