Random comments on common errors in technical documents

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I usually can write and read in English, but don't speak, although is someone speaks slowly, I can understand him. But, as I want to try use as properly English as I can, I use the checker to rectify some words always is bad wrote.

But I never use the way of write in Spanish and translate it to English. Several years ago when I was learning this language, a teacher told me that only when I think in English, I will write in English, and actually I believe she was true. Reading too much, I believe that partially I do it.

There is one major problem with the OED: when a mistake becomes sufficiently widespread the OED will include it and so legitimise it. They fail to even try to distinguish between genuine and useful language innovations, and mere laziness or ignorance. This seems a common problem with 'language experts', at least native English speakers - they don't seem to love their own language and actually appear to welcome abuse of it.

CBS240, I see you've slipped in some deliberate mistakes! ;)

haste

whose

grammar

homonyms are a problem as is 'to' and 'too', or 'two'.

Exactly. An intelligent spell checker that could notice when you've used the wrong homonym (or indeed any "wrong" word spelt right) would be excellent. In the meantime we'll just have to rely on "the list". This is what we've got so far:

• complementary/complimentary
  • discrete/discreet
  • lose/loose
  • dependent/dependant (not a problem in US English as "dependant" doesn't exist in US English)
  • here/hear
  • there/their/they're
  • your/yaw/yore/you're
  • who's/whose
  • to/too/two

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
:D

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 103
There is one major problem with the OED: when a mistake becomes sufficiently widespread the OED will include it and so legitimise it. They fail to even try to distinguish between genuine and useful language innovations, and mere laziness or ignorance. This seems a common problem with 'language experts', at least native English speakers - they don't seem to love their own language and actually appear to welcome abuse of it.

I would argue that English has always been dynamic; even before those of us on this side of the pond got our hands on it. OED (Oxford English Dictionary) is still the official register. They document it, not control it. I would not say they don't love it. Other cultures may try and preserve the status qua. I wish them good luck in the Internet age.

Come on, most of the people here are ESLers. (please correct!), myself included. I find it sad though, that those brought up in Enlish can be so incompetent in their spelling and inability to put a thought to paper.

It is called Subconscious Incompetence. Useful generalization is, to expect most of subconscious incompetence in fields that are common and obvious. For example, most believes that they know how to eat, drink, write, speak, i.e. do obvious things, and do not know they do not know how to do that. For example, after I read a book "Adrenal Fatigue" that my wife brought home from one conference I discovered that I did not know how to eat!

At least English spelling doesn't change every decade or two, like Dutch spelling.

About spell checkers: a colleague of mine once made a typo in "thank you for your quick reaction" and his computer automatically changed it into "thank you for your quick erection". Fortunately the customer he sent that e-mail to had a sense of humour.

Translation can be funny thing as well. For example, my dad used to serve in Army at the WW-II, and after the end of the war he continued serving in Berlin until Moscow gave them "vacations" forever: one by one they were getting vacations, but nobody returned back from Siberian labor camp... He told an anecdote that happened in Berlin about trophy railway wagon, when Russian troops took the trophy, then passed it to Allies, then Allies traded it back to Russians. Documentation went forth and back translated twice, and at the end they discovered that naked stewardess is walking in the wagon! However, soon they found the original and relaxed: insulation on some cable was damaged (naked conductor) :D

I usually can write and read in English, but don't speak, although is someone speaks slowly, I can understand him. But, as I want to try use as properly English as I can, I use the checker to rectify some words always is bad wrote.

But I never use the way of write in Spanish and translate it to English. Several years ago when I was learning this language, a teacher told me that only when I think in English, I will write in English, and actually I believe she was true. Reading too much, I believe that partially I do it.

Loco, te envidio, a mí me cuesta un huevo...
Man, I envy you, it takes much effort to me ...

Subconcious Incompetence? What?
I sincerily hope your wife's book (I hope I got the ' right) helped you to correct your eating dysfunction.
As I mentioned before, there are many on this forom who did not learn English as children. My disdain is with those who did, and cannot use some of the most basic structures of this expressive and beautiful language to make themselves understood (for instance: a statement does not end with a verbal question mark and, oh, I do not txt either)
Cheers, E

Subconscious Incompetence means "Have no Idea that I have no such skill or knowledge".
The next step of learning is "Conscious Incompetence" when I discover that I have no particular skill or knowledge.
The next step is conscious competence when I master the skill, learning something, paying attention on the process.
The last step is Subconscious Competence when I do something without paying attention on steps of the process anymore.

I sincerily hope your wife's book (I hope I got the ' right) helped you to correct your eating dysfunction.

Thank you. It is helping. Also, it is helping me to correct my wife's eating disfunction as well. ;)

We don't use coffee anymore. We use very little of sugar and almost no fruit juices. No refined sugar, refined wheat, pasteurized milk anymore. Now we eat butter, kefir, whole grain sour bread, fat meats, vegetables. No margarine at all, no surrogates made from soy, except tofu in fish broth. Salads with sprouts. Fresh eggs from pasture feed chicken.
We eat fundamental breakfasts, and light dinners. As the result, feel joy and energy through the day.

I believe that, if we only listen, our bodies will tell us what we need (and it ain't McD)!

I did that too. :D
As the result, for example, when my body was asking for some trace mineral it badly needed I assumed I want refined salt that contains no trace minerals. The problem with refined and pasteurized food is, they contain "labels" that are tastes, but don't contain what should be under that labels. Or, when my body did not have enough of nutrition to produce enough of cortisone I thought I want coffee with sugar that kicks adrenals harder causing fast short cortisone burst depleting reserves further. And so on.

Edit: Of course I don't mean that I was sick. :D
I am 55, but feel and look almost like 45. And I believe if I knew when I was young the schematic diagram of my body I would feel and look like 30 or younger. :)

The same with native language speakers. They believe they know own language well, that's why we foreigners often can't understand them properly. :D

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, Harry sent me the errata sheets and there's about 4 or 5 A4 sheets worth I'd corrections. Most are to do with punctuation, usage of SI symbols, it's vs. its; there were quite a few typos as well. Ill post up the errata tomorrow when I am at my computer - seems I cannot get it work on my iPad.

Let take this opportunity to thank Harry for going through the document and highlighting the problem areas.

Here is the document.

(BTW Harry, I get the feeling that you have a lint program that searches through and scoops up all these types of errors - am I right? If so, where can I get it from :D)

Attachments

• e-amp.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 41
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.