Random comments on common errors in technical documents

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, Harry sent me the errata sheets and there's about 4 or 5 A4 sheets worth I'd corrections. Most are to do with punctuation, usage of SI symbols, it's vs. its; there were quite a few typos as well. Ill post up the errata tomorrow when I am at my computer - seems I cannot get it work on my iPad.

Let take this opportunity to thank Harry for going through the document and highlighting the problem areas.

Last edited:
Let take this opportunity to thank Harry for going through the document and highlighting the problem areas.

You're welcome!

it's vs. its

Actually that's something I was pleased to see you had got correct.

For those that don't know what we're talking about, it's Andrew's excellent write-up of his latest amp, the e-amp. Check out his website!

Certainly I don´t know. The automatic spelling check in this PC refuses both with, and without the apostrophes. And Spanish (In fact, I must tell Argentinian language) don´t use the negative form i the verb itself, nor apostrophes, so I really don´t know what is good and what not.

Here we have identified the root of the problem. Spelling checkers. Flat, they make us lazy. Being a bit dyslexic, quite handy actually. Too bad we rely on them too much. An easy way to be tricked, is if you type as well as my fat fingers and don't see very well, then the tiny font that pops up in checkers can easily lead you to a correctly spelled word which is the wrong one. I am sure the topic of texting has been beaten sufficiently. I don't have that problem as I don't text.

Two of my pet peeves: "that" vs "which". All too common. "Utilize". It has no use for which use does not completely satisfy other than to sound pompous.

When in doubt, the Oxford English Dictionary is the official dictionary of English. Oxford Dictionaries Online

For those who want to write as they speak, the correct spelling of "should of" is actually "should've" - but this is rarely used and such people would probably put the apostrophe in the wrong place anyway!

should've is contracted from 'should have', past tense. 'should of' is actually incorrect, but it seems to have been conscripted into common use. Proper written English is very exact, but I must admit I do make mistakes sometimes when writing in hast.:eek: I can certianly understand how someone who's first language is not English can have so many difficulties, particularly when reading writing that consist of mistakes and incorrect grammer.:warped: Unfortunately in the US, so many are poorly educated to get it right, or just lazy. The advent of texting compounds this problem. Spelling has always been my Achilles Heel, thank goodness for spell check.:p Spell check does not always get the grammer proper though. Also homonyms are a problem as is 'to' and 'too', or 'two'. One must always review. Good thread.:cool:

Last edited:
Come on, most of the people here are ESLers. (please correct!), myself included. I find it sad though, that those brought up in Enlish can be so incompetent in their spelling and inability to put a thought to paper.

In electricity "phase" and "polarity" are distinctly different, yet related. But it seems that only batteries have polarity.

And than there is the Kodak Theatre in LA! What's with that?

Soon we will speak and write "Ape", like in the Planets of...

I enjoyed the rant! E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.