Basic multi room audio system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm looking to purchase and install a good but hopefully quite simple, reasonably inexpensive audio system in my house. I've spent many many hours trawling the internet but have been unable to make any decisions to purchase due to a lack of knowledge which I'm sure you guys can help me with :confused:.

I have a small, new(ish) build 2 bedroom house and I would like to install a system to play music from my iPod and the radio through ceiling speakers in the bathroom, 2 x bedrooms and kitchen. Ideally I would like a volume control in each room but I'm not so concerned about multi source if it boosts the price.

This is how far I've gotten with this:

Amplifier: Yamaha A-S500 - 2 pairs speakers
4-Channel Stereo Speaker Volume Control
Yamaha in-ceiling speakers (90watts)
Sony STRDH100 2 Channel Receiver

This is where I get confused. The amplifier only has 2 channels (for 2 pairs of speaker - I clarify this to be sure I understand it correctly) so do I buy 2 amplifiers?

The amplifier doesn't have a radio so do I buy the Sony receiver and would those two channels connect to each of the amps?

I do hope you can help. My head hurts. :h_ache:

I'm competent with DIY (I've installed my own bathroom, loft hatch/ladders etc on my own) but inexperienced with music systems so I should be fine to install it as long as I know I've purchased the right kit.

No doubt there are folks here that can provide a better way to achieve what you want than I can. And no doubt they'll step in to help. A couple of things right off... 2 channels means it's a stereo amp, Left & Right channels. You may or may not be able to connect more than one speaker to each channel; it depends on the amp.
Also, instead of the volume control box, I think you'd be happier with something like these in-wall speaker volume controls (this link is illustrative. I'm not necessarily recommending any of these units).
If you aren't intending to achieve concert-level sound levels, 1 amp may be enough. Or maybe have one amp for the main listening area and the other to handle the distributed audio.
Or maybe someone can step in with a 70-volt solution...

Thank you; I would prefer the in-wall volume controls as they are for more practical but I was worried the wiring might get too complicated. Maybe it's worth the extra effort for the added benefit.

My house is tiny so I (or more accurately my neighbours) definitely don't want to play music as concert levels!

I've checked the amp and it does power 2 pairs of speakers as does the receiver I've discovered the receiver is also an amp so I guess I don't need an amp as well. How would you then power the other 2 pairs of speakers; do I need 2 receivers which each have outputs to 2 pairs of speakers?

My thoughts are too confused to explain clearly but I'll try:

I want to play music from my iPod and DAB into 4 rooms. I therefore require 4 pairs of speakers (1 pair humidity/water resistant for the bathroom).

To power the speakers I need a _______________________ to dock the iPod/play DAB radio to each of the 4 pairs of speakers.

I have found a TEAC package that includes a 4 channel amp with 4 pairs of humidity/water resistant 35W speakers for £350. However, I don't think the quality will be very good as it is described as being appropriate for background music in a hairdressers.

Since I can't find a similar but better model I can't figure out my alternatives? Can anyone fill in the missing link for me please?

Maybe the crowd is just waiting for something they can contradict.:)
Using the in-wall controls will most likely involve fishing the wiring behind the wall from the attic. The extra effort nets you level control right at the speakers. These controls usually have impedance matching, which would allow you to connect all your speakers to one amplifier with no fuss.
The blank in your post would be answered with, "amplifier and interconnects." Interconnects are the wire and connectors that connect the iPod output to the amp input. But you have to be mindful of the impedance match with all those speakers.
The TEAC package doesn't look that bad for what you need. It'd be nice to actually hear what it can do.

BTW... Audio 101... there's an amplifier and there's a tuner. When they are both in the same unit it's called a receiver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.