Euro Cup 2012

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For some (most of the world, in fact) football (soccer) is the game.

Let's see how many here are following this year's Euro Cup and hear your predictions.

First, though, let's layout our favourite team and then get into some analysis

As a Hollander...I'm rooting for the Oranje...mostly because I want them to redeem themselves for the terrible display of thuggery at World Cup 2010 when they tried to mug Spain instead of playing the game.

Doesn't look promising so far...typical lack of finish against Denmark and they have yet to face the Germans and Portuguese.

Best teams I've seen so far are Italy, Spain, Germany and Portugual (despite the loss to Germany).

Been hearing that France have a very strong team this year and the Russians look dangerous as well.

My prediction for Euro Champ? I need to see play in the other Groups before I can make a reasonably informed decision but the Italians and Germans look very strong.

Spain has the classiest team.

German team and young and coming up - they have my support. :)

Diasppointed with Holland after seeing the game with Denmark.

Russians surprised last time and are capable of a good game, France was poor in the last WC, hope they can do better under Laurent Blanc.

Look forward to some good football!

Beautiful football in the Italy/Spain match...Croatia vs. Ireland not so much...Ireland seems to lack the individual technical skill to control play...or was this simply a bad day for the Emerald Isle? Croatia, as ever, opportunistic.

England and France tomorrow....my bet is on France..unbeaten in the last 30 matches? That's quite a streak!

Ukraine vs Sweden? Let's hope its Ukraine because the Swedes play BORING football IMO.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Big football (soccer) nut here. Thanks for starting this thread!

Spain and Germany certainly look like teams who are most in control and have the most confidence. Italy looked very good too. The Dutch played well but lost. I think these four teams are above the rest.

btw, that outside of the foot pass from Sneijder to Huntelaar was freaking awesome. Didn't see a better pass all last season!

France v England... yes, a yawnfest!

Yes..on paper, man for man, the Dutch are great but as a team they never seem to have the finish...the test will be on Wednesday against Germany...

Spain, Italy...ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK...lovely football for all 90 minutes.

Still waiting for Ronaldo to take it to a higher level but he continues to falter on the Big Stage.

France forced to play the English game...no fluidity...plodding static football.

Denmark will not win another game both Portugal and Germany will roll over them...

Ukraine is showing some attack now finally...the Swedes like the Danes = boring football.

Greece..very conservative but perhaps they need more creative competition.

We watch our soccer here on TSN...but haven't seen our favourite commentator, Dick Howard.

The Czech's showed early polish and speed as I expected and Poland could do nothing else in front of their fans but hold the Russians to a draw.

The Russians are not as strong as Advocaat believes and the Czechs may be stronger than many suspect.

Wednesday's predictions:

Portugal 2 Denmark 1

Holland 2 Germany 1

Good predictions!
Poles played better than I expected or Russians had a worse day, all and all not a bad game and as a Pole myself I was quite pleased with the team. I think they do have some chances against Czechs now when they gained some confidence. From the big league I've only seen Italy and Spain and agree that they are the top contenders . I'm curious about Germany and will need to catch a game. ESPN really delivers with guests and commentaries.

I stopped watching sport yeas ago consindering the whole industry fraudulent and a complete sell out stripped from the spirit and ideas and killed by the river of money but have to admit the show goes on and is quite fascinating to look at .

We watch our soccer here on TSN...but haven't seen our favourite commentator, Dick Howard.

The Czech's showed early polish and speed as I expected and Poland could do nothing else in front of their fans but hold the Russians to a draw.

The Russians are not as strong as Advocaat believes and the Czechs may be stronger than many suspect.

Wednesday's predictions:

Portugal 2 Denmark 1

Holland 2 Germany 1

Portugal 3 Denmark 1
Germany 2 Holland 1

Good predictions!
Poles played better than I expected or Russians had a worse day, all and all not a bad game and as a Pole myself I was quite pleased with the team. I think they do have some chances against Czechs now when they gained some confidence. From the big league I've only seen Italy and Spain and agree that they are the top contenders . I'm curious about Germany and will need to catch a game. ESPN really delivers with guests and commentaries.

I stopped watching sport yeas ago consindering the whole industry fraudulent and a complete sell out stripped from the spirit and ideas and killed by the river of money but have to admit the show goes on and is quite fascinating to look at .

I feel the same , but still love the art of the sport , the worst for me currently is F1 , the sport died May1st 1994 ... :(

Yes the game, or FIFA specifically, has become so full of itself as have so many of the individual player egos.

I did enjoy the fight in the Polish team especially against the Russians, whom I think, are a little full of themselves. I do enjoy their attacking philosophy...but Advocaat as a coach is no Guus Hiddink!

Yes. I am looking forward to an exciting game between the Poles and the Czechs...I still can't reconcile the fact that the West Germans have two players who more properly and correctly should be on the Polish National Squad.

My Oranje will have to show me something they have yet to prove...the ability to overcome adversity...and not get drawn into playing Germany's game.

I wish Portugal a good match as well.

As for our commentators on TSN..I enjoy Jason DeVos but sorely miss Dick Howard beside him who was and is one of the best and someone who witnessed first-hand many of the greats of the 60s 70s. The man can provide the type of historical context few can. Heck, I've got pimples older than most of the new crop of analysts...who don't even know of a time when Scotland, for example, had some truly amazing soccer talent.

Anyone remember Archie Gemmill? Well that little bugger ran through the entire Dutch team in the 1978 World Cup to score an amazing goal..that remains legendary in both Scotland and Holland.

:h_ache:Well it is with great embarrassment for me to admit I was only 50% on my predictions. Congratulations to Portugal...despite Ronaldo's continued malaise....but imagine what it must be like to root for the Oranje only to witness the typical collapse. :(

No fight in the Dutch whatsoever, despite VanPersie's too late goal. :mad:

Out-coachedthrough most of the match. The typical Dutch failure to play as a team and capitalize on opportunities yielded the same old result.:sigh:

Mathematically still have a chance to advance but when a team must rely on mathematical formula to advance..they do not deserve it. I expect Portugal to end the Dutch misery of this Euro once and for all!:bomb:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.