Ray Bradbury - RIP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I remember, I was roused from my dream often in my childhood,
maybe the tram pantograph flashed, perhaps a distant lightning and I thought
(while I waiting for firestorm) a handicapped individual is now pressed the button.
We can say it, I do not sleep recently better.

In one of our local forums, someone just posted an excerpt from "There Will Come Soft Rains". The one of the image of the family burned into the outer wall of their home after the nuclear blast. Chilling..

Ron Serling made that into a Twilight Zone. Ray mixed sci-fi and American folk better than anyone, one of a kind.

EDIT - Maybe I'm confused, I know I saw a dramatization of this since it was during the "scare you with nukes era" but I can't find it now.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
My wife is Peruvian, so we are often watching movies in both Spanish and English. Some translations are just horrendous.

I would hope that Mr. Bradbury's words have been translated well across many languages.

In Fahrenheit 451, what struck me most was Montag's wife who felt the constant need to escape from reality confined to talking nonsense with the characters on the walls.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Scott,

Thanks for the tip. I was just a shy young for his shows when they first aired. Yes, Rod was one of a kind. I definitely will look that one up and put it on my 'must see' list.

He was so well respected that Shatner didn't over-act too much in his Twilight Zone episode! :D

Scott,

Thanks for the tip. I was just a shy young for his shows when they first aired. Yes, Rod was one of a kind. I definitely will look that one up and put it on my 'must see' list.

He was so well respected that Shatner didn't over-act too much in his Twilight Zone episode! :D

I just found a complete list of Serling's robot stories and Ray's only contribution was "I Sing the Body Electric". I'm baffled since I can see the kids ball and shadow burned into the house like it was yesterday. Could it be a recurring nightmare from reading the "Martian Cronicles"? I watched every scary/sci-fi TV show that came along.

BTW there is a Peruvian restaurant, quite good, at our new place in SF, CA. I do like a Pisco sour now and then. ;)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Scott,

I'll be sure and get a copy of that episode. Yes, in the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, they had a similar scene when they returned to earth and the charred walls had the outline of people on it. The Martian Chronicles is great stuff.

Pisco Sour, eh? Yes, the night my wife was approved for her visa, we celebrated with friends in Lima with a nice batch. It's a wonderful drink! My wife prepared papa de huancaina for one of SY's parties here in Austin. It was well-received by everyone. She couldn't join me the time you were there and I ended up coming empty-handed as she was very busy at the time.

It's a good day when I learn something new and nice to know I have fellow fans on the other side of the ocean. RB deserves a toast. He is a giant in the history of sci-fi.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@SY

:eek: Yes, I dated an attorney's admin assistant for a couple of months. Talk about nobody home!

@Scott
Ok, yes, I recall watching about 20 minutes of one episode and promptly switched channels. That was in the era of Fred Silverman and the famous Super Train series. ha! I was very disappointed.

I guess with RB's passing, there is a chance that some of the projects at the movie studios will get moving again. Mel Gibson was keen on doing F451, but the fact it didn't get made is probably a good thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.