A new better phase-inverter. Is there a reason to patent?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After many years, i have found and realized a better circuit for a phase-inverter (also know as phase-splitter). In this moment i'm not completely convinced for patent this, because if this type of circuit need only in audio gear, also if better than all existing today (imho), i'm not sure that i can sell it to pay the cost.
I hope that a better phase-inverter is need in other fields as nuclear physics and medicine.

So i ask to Physicians and Physicist members of this forum: is there a need for an ultra accurate and balanced phase-inverter? :confused:

Thanks

Francesco.

Remember what a patent really is: a license to sue. That's the only way to enforce a patent. If the potential payoff is high enough ($10million+ in royalties), then it might be worth trying. You will want to think long and hard about whether this phase splitter really outperforms the alternatives enough for someone to justify the cost of licensing.

What you might consider is filing a provisional US application- it's very cheap ($100), doesn't need a lawyer, and gives you one year of priority from the date of filing (including priority in Europe) so you can see if there's any interest out in the marketplace. If there's not, you can let it die and publish. if there is, you can proceed with the "real" patent application.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, but have quite a few patents and far too much experience with them.:D

Remember what a patent really is: a license to sue. That's the only way to enforce a patent. If the potential payoff is high enough ($10million+ in royalties), then it might be worth trying. You will want to think long and hard about whether this phase splitter really outperforms the alternatives enough for someone to justify the cost of licensing.

What you might consider is filing a provisional US application- it's very cheap ($100), doesn't need a lawyer, and gives you one year of priority from the date of filing (including priority in Europe) so you can see if there's any interest out in the marketplace. If there's not, you can let it die and publish. if there is, you can proceed with the "real" patent application.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, but have quite a few patents and far too much experience with them.:D

I'm agree, but how to know the real value of any idea, before?

In this case i think that IF there is an absolute necessity in other science fields for a quasi-ideal mirroring signals it is ok. For audio i think present circuits make a good-acceptably work, so no all manifacturers have interest to it.

In USA you people are lucky, in Italy to patent only for Italy cost about 1.500-2.000 Euros.

So let me kown, how i'm living in Italy, can i patent in USA?

Best regards

Last edited:
Remember that very little in electronics is new. Most of it was invented in the 1930's, the rest between 1939-1945. Most 'new' ideas are either old, or don't work. Of course, your idea may be the exception.

Yes i remember it.

This new circuit was simulate last months of last year, but i want realize it really and now effectively i can tell you that this circuit is really good. :)

United States Patent and Trademark Office

The exact answer is you give some sleazy lawyer money to do the searches and paperwork. It is exactly like SY said. If it is not worth at least 10 million, don't bother. And if a big company with big lawyers want's it, they will find a way to step on you anyway. If someone in China wants to use it, they will and there is nothing you can do about it. Might get your engineering workbook notarized. Best thing to do is produce a superior product with it and hope to make money with your good reputation. The patent system here and it the rest of the world is seriously broken. Three of my inventions are in production. Is it suspicious the bank I talked to about loans to file parents on one of them, who turned me down, just happened to be the bank for the company who put it into production?

And if a big company with big lawyers want's it, they will find a way to step on you anyway.

Actually, that's usually a good thing. Big companies have deep pockets, and if there's really money there, attorneys are delighted to work on contingency. The issue is if you're ripped off by someone who is essentially judgment-proof; there's no way to make a profit from suing them, so you're on your own as far as paying an attorney and trying to recover anything.

Remember what a patent really is: a license to sue. That's the only way to enforce a patent. D

What you means is that it need an attorney also in USA, so 100 usd not are sufficient.
I can request a patent in Italy for the first year, in the meanwhile i try to talk with one of the big semiconductor companies if they are interest to product the circuit as an IC.

But at this moment i think is more important to understand if there will a real interest for such a type of circuit. So i'm waiting for a feedback from an insider.

Francesco

Last edited:
You do NOT need an attorney to file a provisional.

If you find that there's some interest to justify the expense of a full application, then you'll need an attorney. If the patent eventually issues and you ever want to sue somebody to enforce the patent, you'll need an attorney. But at this stage, you don't- all you need to do is file the provisional and see if you can find an interested customer.

Here's a flow chart in case I've not been clear enough.

Attachments

• flow chart.gif
    flow chart.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 213
You do NOT need an attorney to file a provisional.

If you find that there's some interest to justify the expense of a full application, then you'll need an attorney. If the patent eventually issues and you ever want to sue somebody to enforce the patent, you'll need an attorney. But at this stage, you don't- all you need to do is file the provisional and see if you can find an interested customer.

I'm not sure that in Italy the request of a patent is provisional so then i can modify it. It need to talk with my local patent office.
First time i have patented another circuit, i have paid an attorney,for sure.

Thanks for the tips :)

Your idea doesn't have to be that much better than existing approach - if it isn't expensive then maybe an audio company will like to use it to differentiate from their competitors. But they won't be wanting to make you rich before they get rich.

I am pretty sure that my circuit is superior to others because it has everything you need from an ideal phase splitter. But no point is this: is that now Audio is like the Mediterranean Sea, ie it is increasingly shrinking, and there are no many investments in this field. From the other hand, ML, Spectral, Classe', to say some names, have shown, that they can make real good amps, without Phase splitter. Indeed, these circuits are used only in push-pull amplifiers with not complementary output stages .
Now what do you think about the value for such circuit if it will be used only in the audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.