10 kilo heatsink turned into a kitchen gadget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

10 kilo heatsink turned into a kitchen gadget.

What does a heatsink do? It takes heat from place and puts it somewhere else.

Now that I have a stand alone upright freezer I have put some 0.5 kilo packages of grass feed beef on the top shelf for future use. The question was, how do I thaw this thing out. For the first package I placed it into an aluminum frying pan and noticed that the pan got cold and stayed that way for quite awhile. The engineer in me went to the shop and found the largest heatsink on the shelf. The goal was to maximize the rate of heat transfer. 10 kilos does not stretch the truth too far.

I am trying to noodle (kitchen pun) through this. A thin layer of condensate quickly forms to fill the void between the package and the heatsink, acting much as thermal grease does for my amplifiers.

The use of this kitchen gadget cuts the defrost time in half.

Thoughts?

Just for fun!

DT

Sounds like fun.

You could expose the fins or aluminum surface to some water, preferably moving water.

Passive cooking.

I plan to make a solar oven when I can find the time. The research I have done shows them to be practical, even in the winter time.

That's what I've got....it was a big chunk of Aluminium some 347mm by 197mm by 5mm (Got it on my lap) It was advertise "defroster". It would picture a steak on it.It is preffered chassis for my 12B4 amp ...I cut a hole(Filed) for a 220V PWR socket IEE ???socket.
has teflon style black coating. Says "Taiwan", cast feet (Bumps) for the four corners, radiused corners45mm?

___________________________________________________________Rick.....

Attachments

• IEE socket.JPG
    IEE socket.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Obviously you don't understand how freezers work. Attach the heatsink to the radiator at the back. Then the fridge will suck the cold back out of the meat. By the principle of the conservation of coldness, efficiency can approach 100%.

Ian

A heat pump HVAC unit in a mild climate can extract the cold indoors and move it outdoors at a rate of 2 to 4 times greater than the energy used by the pump. That is called the COP or the Coefficient Of Performance. Or in other words efficiency of 200 to 400 percent.
DT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.