People should state their contry in the Profile

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why dont people state their country in the profile ?

It´s stupid to give advice about parts or drivers to someone when you dont know what country they live in.Once i was advising someone to buy from a shop in the Netherlands and he lived on the other side of the world :mad: it happens in many times

Last edited:
Why dont people state their country in the profile ?

It´s stupid to give advice about parts or drivers to someone when you dont know what country they live in.Once i was advising someone to buy from a shop in the Netherlands and he lived on the other side of the world :mad: it happens in many times

Or yes and everybody should provide a copy of driver license + SSN as well. Maybe real time eye pupil image through the web cam in the avatar area is a promising idea too :)

Internet let you order from major stocks from any country & madisound will ship drivers worldwide.

here in Portugal , besides shipping you have to pay customs somewhere in the 30-50% of the item (if item is from outside EU) lucky you then :)

once i got a letter from customs to go there (15km from my home) and pay taxes for 2 plastic bases for tubes , 8$ item value , never bothered to go there

Last edited:
I totally agree with the original poster and with AndrewT. This is surely intended to be a forum subscribed to by real people - not anonymous 'contributors', some of whom may express views which can occasionally be swayed by undeclared commercial consideration - though I must say that most members are very straight forward in this respect:), but a very few are totally dishonest:mad:. Members who have a vested commercial interest in ANY aspect of audio markets should HAVE to declare that fact.

With regard to sourcing items on the advice of others, it is advantageous to know that posters living in the same country are advising - rather than people half a world away. This often may save large shipping costs, whilst avoiding delay and increased duties and general clearance charges. Further with heavy high value items such as drivers we here in the UK CAN get hit with enormous on-costs should an item on delivery prove faulty and require to be returned. There also are hidden revenue requirements should you need to have items repaired/replaced by overseas sellers. I recently had a new tip supplied for a fishing rod by the US maker. The cost was $140.00 The list price of the rod was $1,100.00 and I not only had to pay US$60 for shipping (EACH way + $120) but also had to pay import duty on the rod at re-entry at the full (new) value of the rod + shipping costs AND 20% VAT on the total, and then the shippers took a further £15.00 for clearing the shipment! UK buyers of overseas 'bargains' beware!

Lastly, it is good to know peoples other interests...I have come across other fishermen and indeed am hoping that one will travel to the UK to stay and fish with me later this Spring.

Of course, putting a place or flag does not guarantee that is where the person resides !!

I recently bought a chip from a member with a USA flag. (who is still advertising the chips in Swap Meet )

Imagine my surprise when a packet arrived from China !!

Am I suspicious .. you bet !!

Andy

Last edited:
here in Portugal , besides shipping you have to pay customs somewhere in the 30-50% of the item (if item is from outside EU) lucky you then :)

once i got a letter from customs to go there (15km from my home) and pay taxes for 2 plastic bases for tubes , 8$ item value , never bothered to go there

And the next year you will get a bill for $80 for storage?

poynton said:
Imagine my surprise when a packet arrived from China !!
I was recently looking on ebay for a new laptop battery. After a while I realised that most sellers who made a big thing about being in the UK (often in their product picture which appears in the search list) were actually Chinese, with perhaps a UK correspondence address. Real UK sellers did not make a fuss about it.

I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?

Interesting debate though... I tend to look at the flags to get an idea of how local someone is. Not everyone uses the same voltage / frequency, so if someone in the US is recommending a particular piece of equipment, I check to see if it is available in Non US voltage.

But at the same time you can trust that little flag too much and take what you see for granted. Pro's and cons to both sides.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.