Car Talk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

When I was a kid, snow used to fall about mid to end of December, and it didn't thaw before the end of February. My son, born in 1986, hasn't had more than three days' worth of snow in his life.

Summer temperatures used to be around 31-33 degrees centigrade, today 36 is the norma, and we do get peaks of 41 and even 42 degrees.

So the fact that from Europe to Hong Kong we have just seen very cold winters, as cold or worse than I remember from my childhood in Germany and the coldest for 80 years in Hong Kong and the fact that these very cold winters have been running a few years now no doubt is further evidence for global warming...

Ooops, they renamed that global climate change and no doubt human CO2 emissions will be blamed for the cold, or if not they'll find something new to create fear and get grant money to research. I should have majored in meteorology with a minor in computers. I could simulate weather and attend international conferences endlessly on taxpayers expense. The only better Job I can imagine is being MEP...

Ciao T

Hi,

The Met office together with the University of East Anglia recently came out that during the past 15 years, no appreciable warming has taken place. Big news, but try to find a link at the Met's site; they must be trying to hide an inconvenient truth.

CERN recently published research that basically cast grave doubts over all this global warming malarkey, if not putting paid to it...

They where extremely careful not to have any references to the implication in the publication and the original research was stalled for years over fear that they would have funding cut if they researched something that went "against global warming".

And they (CERN and the Researchers) where accused by some sections of the scientific community of acting irresponsible and wasting money on research that was "morally wrong" simply for researching something could support theories that counter "man made global warming", in other words they where attacked for simply wanting to know the truth...

"YOU WANT THE TRUTH!"? YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

Ciao T

Hi,

Like that Herr Thorsten was previously a Chinaman! :D :D :D One Kuei Yang Wang!

Not china. It's a character from the Japanese Manga Sazan Eyes. He is basically the mostly unseen evil that waits to return to world domination, so to speak "he who shall not be talked about" (for fear that by saying his name you will be calling him)...

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/muswell/162/intro.html

Ciao T

Last edited:
Hi,

Not china. It's a character from the Japanese Manga Sazan Eyes. He is basically the mostly unseen evil that waits to return to world domination, so to speak "he who shall not be talked about" (for fear that by saying his name you will be calling him)...

3X3EYES-INTRO

Ciao T

I stand corrected. I dislike the Japanese manga theme all around and stick to tradional comics, and in particular, to the Franco-Belgian school (from Tintin, Le Pilote and similar mags).

The German school of comics is not well known at all, with the exception of the Neugebauer brothers. Unfortunately, the German acting population is also not too well known, my favorites being Jurgen Prochnow and Thomas Kretschmann.

That is THE one grand advantage of being Serbian - one is naturally introduced to many cultures of countries near us, such as Italy, Germany, even France which is not so near. You can't live on the crossroads and not know. And if feels really good to know about them all, at least a little bit.

Here in Britain we are having the warmest winter for 4 years and that one, '07/'08, was the warmest for 300 years or so.

It has also been the driest and the entire south-east of the country is in drought conditions with reservoirs empty and rivers running dry.
Today it was a sunny and unusual 16C but the highest temperature during the winter was 19.7C somewhere in Northamptonshire.

What is important is not the local weather, here in Md, the warmest for decades, but the ocean current temps. They are warmer. Global warming is.... tada... global.

Headline in 1923 Wash Post went something like this: "Ice gone, Seals disappeared." Ocean currents from South had penetrated Arctic ocean.

Here in Britain we are having the warmest winter for 4 years and that one, '07/'08, was the warmest for 300 years or so.
300 years ago? In 1683 and again in 1715 The Thames froze over and a great collection of 'butchers, bakers, cozeners, and cutpurses, sledges, carriages, tents, bonfires,' in fact, "great fairs" rose up on the ice. Cherry picking dates.:mad:

Has no one heard of the Little Ice Age which extended into 19th century? :eek:

And of the Medieval Warming Period which preceded it during which French wine makers were trying get imports of English wine prohibited and Norsemen were farming in Greenland?:D

I learned about these things first in school over 50 years ago.:rolleyes:

Global warming is a good thing. The best recent period for humans, in terms of climate, was the Medieval Warming Period which was lots warmer than now.:cool:

At the extremes we have cold and flooding and heat and drought (examples: early 1950s, mid 1970s, in Europe). We can't pick the extremes. They are chosen for us by nature.:smash:

Wow! Am I ever a cranky bastard!

Hi,

What is important is not the local weather, here in Md, the warmest for decades, but the ocean current temps. They are warmer. Global warming is.... tada... global.

Nope, it ain't, based on tropical sea temperatures:

NOAA%20SST-Tropics%20GlobalMonthlyTempSince1979%20With37monthRunningAverage.gif

Global monthly sea surface temperature (SST) in the Tropics (10oN-10oS, 0-360o) since 1979 according to the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center (CPC). The geographical sampling area is shown in map above as 'Tropics'. The thick line is the simple running 37 month average, nearly corresponding to a running 3 yr average. The warming period directly influenced by the 1998 El Niño is clearly visible. The data series goes back to January 1950. Here it is shown since 1979, to enable easy comparison with air the global temperature estimates shown above. Reference period: 1981-2010. Last month shown: January 2012. Last diagram update 13 February 2012.

This is taken from:

climate4you OceanTemperaturesAndSeaLevel

It is worth reviewing the complete dataset. Some as it so happens show clear local warming trends, but global impact seems to not supported by the data, while El Nino and Volcano eruptions clearly have global impact. If CO2 was the root cause of the anomalies one would expect to see global impact.

Ciao T

300 years ago? In 1683 and again in 1715 The Thames froze over and a great collection of 'butchers, bakers, cozeners, and cutpurses, sledges, carriages, tents, bonfires,' in fact, "great fairs" rose up on the ice. Cherry picking dates.:mad:

Has no one heard of the Little Ice Age which extended into 19th century? :eek:

And of the Medieval Warming Period which preceded it during which French wine makers were trying get imports of English wine prohibited and Norsemen were farming in Greenland?:D

I learned about these things first in school over 50 years ago.:rolleyes:

Wow! Am I ever a cranky bastard!

Hello Captain Obvious!
Everybody with a passable education has heard of the Little Iceage.
That does not change the fact that Winter '07/'08 was the warmest on record and this winter the second warmest. Right now in March, when the reservoirs are normally full to bursting and rivers running at their highest level of the year, they are at a lower level than after the very hot summer of 1976. Farming is being reduced due to lack of water and those living in the south east have already been banned from using hosepipes in their gardens.
Again something that happened every now and then after a hot dry summer but never ever in March and not to such a large area.

Hi,

Again something that happened every now and then after a hot dry summer but never ever in March and not to such a large area.

Well, the records say that a similar winter drought (except worse) happened in 1888. I guess that one was also human made global warming?

The point in this is, there are excellent arguments on both sides. The simulation models show poor congruence with reality. There is much hype in favour of one side, which is not substantiated by fact (for every "fact" in favour a counter example can readily be found).

Should that stop us from reducing the consumption of limited and irreplaceable resources (fossil fuels)?

No, on the contrary. When "global warming" is finally shown to be precisely the Bull it is, it will by far more difficult to convince the public that they need to act to preserve energy. Cry Wolf and all of that. Why not try the truth, for a change?

Ciao T

PS, if my take on the Global Warming Mafia seems to parallel my take on the ABX Mafia, it is because there are parallels, especially in both cases there is much bad science, much polemic and ultimatly either groups actions damage the credibility of their cause severely...

Well, however you look at it, SOMETHING is going on. We can debate what, how and where does it come from, but I no longer have any real spring or automn, just a 2 week or so adjust-or-die period.

Right now, in less than a month, from -25 to +22, a 47 degree amplitude! Tell me that's normal and business as usual.

Dejan,

Well, however you look at it, SOMETHING is going on.

Something is ALWAYS going on.

The only constant on this planet is change.

It drives what we now call evolution, it drives among humans innovation and change.

It was climate change the brought down the roman empire and pretty much ended the the institution of outright slavery, gladiatorial games and many other savagery. Without climate change there may still be a caesar on rome's throne and many of us would still be slaves (well, there are some that will argue that nothing has really changed with the fall of the roman empire).

Ciao T

Dejan,

Something is ALWAYS going on.

The only constant on this planet is change.

It drives what we now call evolution, it drives among humans innovation and change.

It was climate change the brought down the roman empire and pretty much ended the the institution of outright slavery, gladiatorial games and many other savagery. Without climate change there may still be a caesar on rome's throne and many of us would still be slaves (well, there are some that will argue that nothing has really changed with the fall of the roman empire).

Ciao T

If change is the only constant, then the above cannot be true, because even without climate change, it would have still evolved into something different.

Hi,

Well, the records say that a similar winter drought (except worse) happened in 1888. I guess that one was also human made global warming?

Any references?
Because when I google this the records tell me that this year is the worst since 1888 but purely because 1888 is the year when water level records began, not that the drought was worse then.

Although Australia had a drought in 1888.

Dejan,

Ciao T

Please explain how climate change ended slavery in Russia in 1723, in the british Empire in 1807 and the USA in 1865 for example.

And looking for connections between the fall of the Roman Empire and climate change comes up with this:
"Overall, analyses showed that the degree of climate change occurring now is unprecedented in the last 2,500 years, Büntgen and colleagues report today in the journal Science."

(from here:Climate Changes Linked to Fall of Roman Empire : Discovery News)

Hi,

Any references?

According to "Great British Weather Disasters" by Philip Eden (ISBN-10: 082647621X) Page 152 onwards there was an extremely severe draught in England in 1887/1888 the worst in the 19th century and it was remarkable for the dry winter. It ended with downpours in July 1888.

Ciao T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.