my wife and my speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My wife calls my power amp "Frankenstein's Monster." She gave up when I brought in the Snell Type A's.

Attachments

• DSCF0031.JPG
    DSCF0031.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 362
Why do women have a zillion shoes???? When I go rummaging thru her shoe selection I hear the "Oh those don't fit right" or the " I don't have anything to 'go' with those"
My "allotted" space is a little over one square foot......She doesn't seem to mind the 'altitude' of said speakers. "It's to get the speakers up to 'ear level'"*****that's my refrain...& it seems to work......so far. I suppose I could stretch it out to two square feet, but that's about it.
Turning it up to drive "them" out seems to have the opposite effect in our household as she was "raised" on the likes of Iron Maiden.

_____________________________________________________Rick.........

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My wife's solution was to make sure I had a room of my own as soon as we started our lives together.. :D

There is no stereo equipment anywhere else in the house, there is a boombox and both of our computers have powered speaker systems, mine of course is tube powered..

The room is not as small as it appears and there is quite a lot of stuff in here. The acoustics are surprisingly good, the best I've ever had including in a purpose built audio room. (This room was actually built with it in mind, but it is still a work in progress.)

Attachments

• DSCN0009R.JPG
    DSCN0009R.JPG
    451.5 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN0010R.JPG
    DSCN0010R.JPG
    437.4 KB · Views: 316
Maybe yes, maybe no. I have been in South Florida for nearly 60 years. I have never lived anywhere else. I am ready to try something different for a while. This isn't the place I grew up in anymore. Look at all the reasons that Dade, Broward and Palm Beach county all made the top ten list of "most miserable places to live". Violent crime, government corruption, unemployment, forclosures, high cost of living.....I'll trade those for cold weather.

When are you moving George?
We plan to be near your village at the 2'nd half of June (from 19'th to 26)

In that case, it's probably more about a control issue she has rather than your loudspeaker. Some women (and men) have neurotic control issues that express in strange ways like this.

Unfinished projects and parts laying around the house may be signs of control issue as well. Especially, when their owner keeps other things like tooth brush for example in proper order. :)

I just want one of those speakers that when you turn it up, it is powerful enough to rip the clothes off any woman. Being married with children and the thought of potential nakedness will definitely keep my wife out of the same room as my speakers then (it is somewhat true; after you are married, it all becomes cotton and flannel).

When are you moving George?

Unknown....I'm staying here as long as I still get a paycheck. I tell people that my retirement date is somewhere between 5 minutes and 5 years away. Of course I have been saying that for about 5 years. There seems to be a lull in the layoffs now, it is the calm before the storm, or is it the beginning of a long dry spell??????

Laptop opened to Diyaudio ...........

Laptop opened to this thread on diyAudio.

My wife's solution was to make sure I had a room of my own as soon as we started our lives together..

Judging from the height of the window you are in the basement. I picked a bedroom adjacent to the garage. Why, because the wall between me and the garage has the clothes dryer outlet. There is 230 volts at 50 amps and in the 34 years I have been in the house I haven't had to tap into it yet. If I need more power today (wait till you see my next breadboard) I would run a piece of Romex out to the pool pump. Shutting off the dryer will cause spousal unrest, but the pool pump is a don't care for her now.

Some women (and men) have neurotic control issues that express in strange ways like this.

Despite what you see on TV, in our house Sherri OWNS the remote control and watches 90% of the sports seen in the house.

if i might chime in.
i have seen both sides of the coins here.
dad gave up most of his audio stuff because it couldn't be "put away".
i told him that he killed a little piece of his son the day he gave away his early 80's Polk monitors for some small Bose bookshelf's.
but, they have been married 33yrs and they are happy.
when i tease him about it he says "it makes your mother happy, who cares, i cant hear that well anyway".....then he will frown, look around to see if mom can hear look me dead in the eye and say "bite me ".
me on the other hand am very lucky, my wifes rules are.......
no more black
no taller than her. shes 5'8"ish
and not dangerous for the kids

the kids part is the hardest to plan for in our house. i cant get her to go allong with "they will only touch the heatsinks once".

My wife is a genius in so many ways. She's an expert coder, produces art that exhibits internationally, plays four different instruments, can cook/bake/preserve any imaginable food item, moderates three LinkedIn forums, teaches emergency medicine, and has a vocabulary that wastes mine. But there are things that totally baffle her:

1. Why do my satellite speakers weigh 70kg each?
2. Why do my subwoofers need to be the size of refrigerators?
3. Why does tube gear have to be so hideous?
4. Why does the SPL need to be above 70dB?
5. Why does the stereo need to be in the living room?
6. Why do I need to build yet another amplifier and set of speakers?
7. Why is Morgan Jones so mean to me, and why am I so mean to him?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Don't kill me, but here are 2 things my wife has said to me:

1) "When are you going to fix your speakers?!? We need music in this house!"

2) "How come your stereo doesn't sound as good as SY's???"

True story, believe me. And she grew up in Peru, never having heard better quality equipment.

6. Why do I need to build yet another amplifier and set of speakers?

You forgot the rest of the line.

Why do I need to build yet another amplifier and set of speakers if you can only listen to one set at a time?

It goes with why do you need 500 horsepower if the speed limit is 45. I usually point out that I have seen her speedometer on the high side of 80 more than she has seen mine.

the kids part is the hardest to plan for in our house. i cant get her to go allong with "they will only touch the heatsinks once".

No kids were ever allowed into my work room. The room was kept locked when I wasn't home. Even when my daughter was older she had no desire to come inside. There were scary things in there. There was a capacitor explosion when she was about 5 that left a lasting impression.....in her mind, and in the ceiling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.