Mouser's most careless mistake yet . . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered a Hammond chassis with optional cover through Mouser. The enclosed photo shows what arrived today. I looks like some kind of BNC connector. I've received wrong items from Mouser before, but usually, the sticker on the baggie is for the item shipped, not the item I ordered. And they send similar items, like the wrong value resistor, or the wrong color phono jack. How does someone confuse a BNC connector with an 8" by 12" piece of sheet metal?

What is scary, is that previously I ordered 2.2kohm resistors. The label on the plastic baggie had the correct part number and description, but the resistors inside were all 11.5kohm! Unless I had checked them before installation, I would have installed the wrong resistors. I recently finished building the DX Blame MKIII, and I had a lot of trouble getting those boards to behave. I eventually got them to work by tearing out every component which could possibly be faulty and replacing them - often with higher-rated components. At the time I was not in the habit of checking every component before soldering it into place:no:. Obviously I am now! I wonder if my problems may have been caused by an incorrectly filled order? I'll never know.

Attachments

• wrong item.jpg
    wrong item.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 273
I ordered some Vishay Dale 10K RN55 resistors and got 110K instead. It may be the only screw-up in ordering from them in a long, long time. But I have found them very good to deal with. Mouser are the only guys who handle ThatCorp IC's and transistor arrays, they are really good on Wima Caps. Digikey is fastest to ship and Mouser is #2, Allied, Future, AvnetExpress, Arrow always take more time.

btw, my best vendor is McMaster -- the stuff always arrives the next day!

Last edited:
That's happened to me a couple times.
They've always been very accommodating- even overnighting the correct part if I asked nicely. It could have simply been in the wrong bin or the worker grabbed the part from an adjacent bin.
I'd kinda like to see their inventory/picking system. I bet it's akin, although slightly scaled up, to the B&H conveyor belt system in NY.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'd say there is a manual step to punch in the part numbers for picking. a quick search on amphenol RF reveals that their part numbers start with 523 (as opposed to 543 for the ordered chassis).

I recently went to buy some resistors from altronics. I went to the bin, the part number on the packet was correct, but the value was not. They were supposed to be 24 ohm resistors but the packet said 4 ohms. Being colour blind, I had to ask the sales person to check the colour code for me. The value was indeed 24 ohms only the printing of the value on the label was incorrect.

I have always measured my resistors before installing, mainly due to the fact I can't reliably read the colour bands :)

Tony.

I have had someone elses order from Farnell before.

They asked me when I would be in for re-collection and I said I wouldn't be as I had to go to work so they let me have the order ! Must have been £100 worth of components.

With RS I have had things missing but never a wrong component.

Once ordered a batch of pcb's and they came with no copper etched off !!! someone had input the wrong aperture data.

I have had someone elses order from Farnell before.

I had that too except they had printed the other guys name on the parcel as well as mine and that I hadn't ordered anything recently so I sent the delivery person away with the order.

They asked me when I would be in for re-collection and I said I wouldn't be as I had to go to work so they let me have the order ! Must have been £100 worth of components.

What did you luck in on, anything interesting?:D

With RS I have had things missing but never a wrong component.

I've had wrong value resistors from RS once, but the biggest ****-up was with package quantity. These LEDs were supposed to come as two in a pack and I ordered 5 packs for 10 LEDs. For some reason they only contained 1 LED per pack, I phoned up to sort out the issue and they sent me 5 more packs with 2 in. I ended up with almost a tenners worth of free LEDs, I wasn't going to complain.:spin:

Once ordered a batch of pcb's and they came with no copper etched off !!! someone had input the wrong aperture data.

I once ordered double sided laminate and got sent single...so I got an entire 18x12" sheet for free because of that, it'd be great, except I hardly ever use single sided PCBs.

Edit - The forum apparently censors the shortened version of the word used to describe a male chicken. Interesting.

This reminds of something which happened about 10 years ago at Birmingham University. As a cost-cutting exercise the EE dept lost its stores and storesman. He knew all about the components he stocked, and could advise confused students (and staff). The stores next door in the Materials dept would stock electronic stuff, and our chief technician would oversee the system so all would be well.

The tiny little snag was the the storesmen next door knew nothing about electronics. When stuff arrived they would put it the drawers, and then issue it. If either they or the suppliers made a mistake then the wrong thing would be issued until someone spotted it. I found them issuing wrong value resistors, and underspecified electrolytics (16V instead of 25V). I made a few noises about safety (exploding caps etc.) but money always trumps safety, and senior managers don't do detail.

The crazy thing was that the stores funded themselves by putting a mark-up on items issued. So I could buy the item I wanted direct from the supplier (next day delivery), or pay 10-20% extra to have possibly the wrong item from next door.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.