Some relax by playing Angry Birds...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I relax by bending wires...

RTP3D%2520%25281%2520of%25204%2529.jpg

RTP3D%2520%25282%2520of%25204%2529.jpg

RTP3D%2520%25283%2520of%25204%2529.jpg

RTP3D%2520%25284%2520of%25204%2529.jpg

What relaxes you?

How do you get the lengths between bends so perfect? That's remarkable!
I use my vision and a marker pen. I lay a cord where I want it and mark where it should be bent.

I use a caliper only to ensure the equal height of the wires going to the terminals of the tube sockets.

I've practicing this a lot over the years, so this time I only scrapped one wire.

Back to the topic! What relaxes you? ;)

Looks like art to me!!! Love the sockets too.

One of my builds was really neat like that, took a lot of time also, only to finally power it up and hear hummmmmmmm.

I ripped it out and tried to remedy it only to find that when I hastily put it together for testing with all the wires tightly twisted ( albeit messy) it was dead quiet! Never touched it again.

Now I spend my time making the topside pretty and leave the bottom covered.

( I believe I learned from Mr. Jones that what makes a circuit function well and quietly doesn't ALWAYS look pretty.) I tell myself this to feel better :)

However my hat is off to you sir! Even my best attempts NEVER looked that good!!

Last edited:
Looks like art to me!!! Love the sockets too.

One of my builds was really neat like that, took a lot of time also, only to finally power it up and hear hummmmmmmm.

I ripped it out and tried to remedy it only to find that when I hastily put it together for testing with all the wires tightly twisted ( albeit messy) it was dead quiet! Never touched it again.

Now I spend my time making the topside pretty and leave the bottom covered.

( I believe I learned from Mr. Jones that what makes a circuit function well and quietly doesn't ALWAYS look pretty.) I tell myself this to feel better :)

However my hat is off to you sir! Even my best attempts NEVER looked that good!!
Thanks. It can hurt badly to have such experiences like you had. :crying:

My first attempt was hum free and now I want it to look good too.

So the real challenge comes with placing the components neater than this:
RTP3C.jpg

Looks like you could have had a job at the Tektronix factory:D

I have a ziploc bag of the white ceramic terminal strips from Tek scopes, I love them.

(to the tek-o-philes - no, I did not do it! A friend of mine was the cannibal, he wanted the tubes! I got what was left after the massacre.)

So the real challenge comes with placing the components neater than this:
RTP3C.jpg

I'm satisfied:
NEX5-20120327.1605-4596.jpg

The teflon isolated silver foil for ground between all sockets is not yet mounted on the module shown. The module is installed in my preamp and functional.

I've an issue with the tube placed in the center of the line stage. It starts to oscillate after several hours of playing music. Replacing the tube didn't solve the issue, replacing the leaded grid resistors with higher value 1206 SMD had a positive effect.

I do fear that the teflon tube sockets are no good in this wide band line stage. The teflon part of the tube socket is higher than a NOS Tektronix socket so the induction is unavoidable higher as the pin connector will be longer as well. So either I've to reduce the bandwidth of the line stage or I've to change the socket. Well, **** happens. :D

Neat wiring and RF don't always mix. The snag is that the devices don't know you only meant them to amplify audio, as they see lots of nice UHF resonators in the wiring. Low loss sockets can encourage instability too.
The line stages is built as described by Allen Wright in the instructions for the RTP3D and only the mentioned tube cause oscillation and only after several hours of music. I'll fix it one or another way. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.