100W incandescent bulbs are now legal again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It has become almost impossible to find 40W, 60W and 75W tungsten filament light bulbs around Edinburgh. Some shelves have locations for these bulbs, but they are usually empty.

Looks like the overnight queue at the doors is for old fashioned light bulbs.
I'll have to get up before the birds it seems.

I believe halogen bulbs were - are - and will be worldwide available without any restrictions. It is an improved incandescent lamp basically and has similar CRI about 99%.

I can highly recommend using 12V halogen bulbs via modern electronic transformers for indoor lighting they deliver best light (excluding the Sun which is obviously the best) for human eyes. Halogen bulb is twice as efficient in compare to old no-halogen one as well.

It has become almost impossible to find 40W, 60W and 75W tungsten filament light bulbs around Edinburgh. Some shelves have locations for these bulbs, but they are usually empty.

It matters not that CFl's contain toxins, it's all about energy savings in an attempt to suck on and have a measure of control over the wealth of nations' economies. The fact that these bulbs are toxic means nothing to those who are paid very well to push those agenda items that are 'financed'. Say what you will about light bulbs, but if the comparison of energy savings were made between incandescent lamps and turning your thermometer just a few degrees down (in winter) or up (in summer), people might see how asinine the whole argument is.:whazzat: It's a shame someplaces in the so-called 'free world' are affected by such corruption, USA not too far away either I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Presumably a halogen bulb will work OK in a lamp limiter? Nothing strange happens at low power?

Correct. The halogen bulbs are supposed to be OK with dimmer switches. They have them on display with a dimmer at my local home improvement store. I love how they look. But, in my case, I want to replace my ceiling recessed lights that are currently 65W incandescent bulbs, which currently run $3.99 (US$$). The new replacement Halogen bulbs in the size I need run $40.00 (US$$), each. I think the prices have to come down a bit before I'll be able to afford the 30 or so that I need.

That's the way they want it, fine. There is an old oil lamp in my mother's garage, belonged to my great-grandfather, that happens to be 100+ years old, with a glass globe intact, doubtful it's the original globe, but it works great and outputs luminosity close to an incandescent, simply cover with a lampshade. Easy to control brightness by adjusting the wick knob. It looks like I may have to put it back to work.;) I'll be damned if I will be banned from seeing color. (CFL's have limited visual bandwidth...and they hurt my eyes, headache after a while:h_ache: )

I bought some LED lamps called "Warm white", actually they look more like dead white.

Uh huh, LED's also suffer from spectrum shortness.....:rolleyes:

On a different note, it is interesting to find out who is behind funding the lobbying to ban incandescent bulbs.......follow the money and you will know the truth my son....;) No details here because it requires diving into political funding mechanisms and that would cross the forum rules.:)

Last edited:
Presumably a halogen bulb will work OK in a lamp limiter? Nothing strange happens at low power?

In case you are running low voltage (12V) halogen lamp via electronic transformer you will need modern dimmer which is basically a PWM. Last one could be pricey about 100-150USD depending on maximum power it can handle. Personally I prefer HALOGEN bulbs from OSRAM, receptacles-switchers-dimmers from UNICA (Schneider Electric) and currently using Philips Primaline halogen transformers for 12V halogen bulbs.

Major benefit using low voltage halogen bulbs is it makes bulb much more reliable during power on therefore such low voltage bulbs should suit dimmable application a way better and overall bulbs should work longer. Also electronic transformer has very high frequency (it’s a switching power supply actually) that prevents light flickering. Common 50/60 Hz bulbs are not so good and flicker a bit.

Regarding LED bulbs IMHO currently they are too expensive without any major benefits in compare to CFL (white LED for domestic application is a UV LED covered with luminophore similar to CFL) except shock resistance therefore LED suits nice for torch lights and cars head or tail lights.
Actually there are modern OSRAM CFL tubes (OSRAM DULUX L) that delivers pretty decent CRI above 90%. However such tubes require electronic ballast and currently available in socket 2G11 only.

The best socket E27 CFL bulb I can find in local supermarkets are CRI 80% OSRAM/Philips type 827 ( box labeled 827 means first figure 8 corresponds to CRI 80% and last too figure 27 means color temperature 2700K).
However most critical artificial lighting like one used in TV broadcast studio are powered by halogen bulbs (special ones).

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
However most critical artificial lighting like one used in TV broadcast studio are powered by halogen bulbs (special ones)

You'd be surprised. With modern cameras, huge amounts of light are no longer required, and the majority of general lighting is from phosphor balanced fluorescents that give a very even and soft light. Key lights may well be halogen or some type of discharge lamp such as HMI, and even LED fixtures are in use for set lighting. Studios have to pay utility bills as well. ;)

To drift further off topic...

...even LED fixtures are in use for set lighting. ....
A couple of years ago I had to deal with a problem created by the audible artefacts of one of these. It had a switched mode power supply that emitted audio which was picked up by studio mics. A junior operator noticed this as he was the only one who could hear 18KHz.
It's surprising that they'd use such a low switching frequency.

UK used FM audio attached to the 625line video signal.
It was rolled off @ ~12kHz. UK Audio FM was 15kHz
The audio signal on the UK DVB is digital and I have no idea what the audio specification is. Does it vary depending on how much the advertiser pays for their 30second slot?

I have bought a few of the cheaper 240Vac LED bulbs.
£4 for 1W, £4.90 for 1.3W, £6.50 for 3W
None were an acceptable replacement for a 240Vac 35W halogen for £1.89.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.