100W incandescent bulbs are now legal again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would be interested to total the costs of running the pilot light v.s. using one of those piezo jobbies for 10 or 20 years, including all maintenance cost etc...

I have a feeling that the more modern heater would come out cheaper in the end.

When I was living in South Africa I had a water heater in the cottage that I rented. It was called "Geyser", mounted in attic, and the whole thing was well insulated by fiberglass blanket and foil. I think it is more effective than banning of incandescent bulbs. Also, properly made double glass windows would help as well. Here in California I often see very mediocre insulation of houses, and even powerful fans running on attics because lack of insulation causes heating of ceilings by sun radiation, so air conditioners during days consume more power than probably all incandescent bulbs during the year.

When I was living in South Africa I had a water heater in the cottage that I rented. It was called "Geyser", mounted in attic, and the whole thing was well insulated by fiberglass blanket and foil.
Funny, we use that word as well, but for those run though kitchen water heaters
Not surprising since Afrikaans is closely related to Dutch.

I think it is more effective than banning of incandescent bulbs.
You mean banning inefficient water heaters is more effective than banning incandescent lighting?

Also, properly made double glass windows would help as well. Here in California I often see very mediocre insulation of houses, and even powerful fans running on attics because lack of insulation causes heating of ceilings by sun radiation, so air conditioners during days consume more power than probably all incandescent bulbs during the year.

That American homes are very poorly insulated isn't very shocking. The best insulated houses I've seen are in Germany, they really build them like bunkers.
This of course creates it's own problems with mold and such if you don't ventilate properly.

I'm sure the Norwegians or other Scandinavian countries have even better insulation.

Some of the best tight and insulated homes here are ... ready.... mobile homes. The Kirkwood I had in Colarado had full 6" walls, tight enough the front door would bounce. I had to leave a window open for fresh air. 1600 sq ft and heated it with a 35,000 BTU furnace. No problem at -20F. Our building codes here are pathetic. We build Mc-Mansions of 8000 sq ft 5 feet apart that will fall down in 20 years. Plywood foundations, cardboard or OSB sheathing. 12 inches of attic insulation in Phoenix where it takes two air conditioners because of the bad design. Then run fans in the attic because they were too cheap to put in proper soffit and ridge vents. Should we know better? Just visit Thomas Jefferson's home in Va. Cool tubes and copula for solar powered air conditioning. 1700's!

I bought some LED lamps called "Warm white", actually they look more like dead white.
Warm white is not/should not be bright white "my son".
I bought, until now, 4 of these, 2 yesterday, and they are WARM white - not bright - or the yellow living room more than the white for the kitchen type. For this you have to look at Kelvins also (3500 vs 5000). They usually have the sign saying bright white vs warm white (yellow) for the same white (W) led lamp.

OSRAM PARATHOM LED P1635GU10WW 1x5W GU10
Osram LED bulb PAR16 5W GU10 WW | 230 V LED Lights, GU10 LED Bulbs Light bulbs Lighting Home & Garden | Conrad Electronic SE - 230 V LED Lights, GU10
(the price is at 22,00 € in my country right now)
You can read with the direct light of this lamp (like in sofa/bed) and it is enough (2 of them) for a living room. Also 2 of them at bed (one on each side) to watch TV or read. They are the 35 angle type vs the 110+ for the modest fluorescent old style lamps.
All the information is on the box like Kelvins/Candelas/W/angle and so on.
Also time to light up at max. is 0 sec.
This is not to be tech info, just informative.
They also sell good 70W type (max. I found) halogen bulbs/incandescent at IKEA.

Attachments

• osram_led_saving_calculator.jpg
    osram_led_saving_calculator.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I guess my hoard of cheap 100W bulbs will go back in storage for a rainy day when I actually need that much light. Dollar or so a box is not too much of a burden for a small hoard! My gran had an ancient bulb she used at the sewing machine for illumination when I was a kid. It was something with a nipple on the top and the filiment was a big coil loopty thing. It had to be very ancient even then. Never burned out. I don't recall if it was tungsten or what. I wish I had it now. Bet it would be more than 80 years old, at least.

Just don't turn the lights off and you will save on bulbs. ;)

This bulb in the link has been burning for over 110 years. That's right 110.

60W GE Carbon Filament.
Livermore's Centennial Light Bulb
I very much believe that and you. I had an "amerikan" GE light bulb for 110V working on 220V (Portugal) in a closet of my old house when I was young. It was a pretty bright light and worked all those years of my childhood.

I'm four minutes into that, and it brings up one of the biggest gripes I have about a modern product, it's how those smartphones, digital cameras, ipads and "ipod touch" things all make the "sight" and sound of an old-fashioned shutter-and-audomatic-film-advance film camera. I was at an open mic last night and saw someone using such a device, and wondered if there was an option to at least turn the SOUND off, deep inside some menu tree somewhere. If there was, the user apparently had no clue about it. Ironically, the casual photographer from decades ago couldn't afford or chose not to spend the extra for the expensive auto-film-advance feature that the pros used.

Now back to the guy on the ladder "clicking" at the old light bulb...

Incandescent are inefficient because a lot of the energy is wasted in the form of heat. In the winter time is that energy really wasted? My living room has 830watts of incandescent heating in the winter

Yes, exactly. The heat from incandescent lamps reduces the heating required from the furnace. Also, if you'll notice, many of the old style lamp shades are in the form of a cylinder or a truncated cone. They are natural chimneys. So, you have this hot bulb inside of a chimney in the corner of your living room in the grip of winter and you're nice and cozy because you're sitting next to a nice convection heater.

Of course, in summer, they are a drag on the air conditioning but of course you don't use the lamp nearly as much in summer. So, you could switch to a cool lamp in summer and a hot one in winter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.