Ringing in ears when silence due to power failure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This happens to everybody here. You can hear a ringing in the ears when the power fails and all the noise generators (the fans) go silent. This may be due to the habit of hearing some sounds all the time, especially from the fans.

Is this ringing common to people all over.

Gajanan Phadte

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't need to turn anything off to hear mine ;) It is there all the time quite loud. I suspect hearing damage at high school discos incurred as a teenager. I certainly had ringing in the ears after a few of those.

Mine sounds like high pitched cicadas (probably a mish mash from 14khz up to maybe 16 or 18khz). I actually can't hear any real sounds past about 13Khz (that's how I know what the frequency of the ringing is, as it is higher than I can hear) :) It does vary in loudness, but never goes away.

Tony.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This happens to everybody here. You can hear a ringing in the ears when the power fails and all the noise generators (the fans) go silent. This may be due to the habit of hearing some sounds all the time, especially from the fans.

Is this ringing common to people all over.

Gajanan Phadte

Try and borrow a sound level or noise meter to see what the background level is when everything is on and powered up.

Yes I have a bit. A lot of motorcycling with no earplugs can do that.

When we turned off all electrical equipments during "Earth Hour" I was amazed at how much noise the fridge, computer, etc. are actually making. It was a beautiful silence!

For sure. I have to turn these things off as well when listening to noise output of my amp projects, part of my procedure for nabbing down pesky sources of HF oscillation. I use to live in a place where a freight train passed every 40min but now I get to listen to quite a bit of air travel, smaller aircraft, so a moment of complete silence is rare.

Ears can play hallucination tricks on you with complete silence like your eyes do when in complete darkness. Try to listen to your heartbeat so your aural senses have something to focus on.;)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
It usually gets louder when I grow tired. When it's really loud, it's time for bed.

John

yes, stress plays a really big role

noisy elctronics and poorly designed speaker, equally bad

and it might be wise to avoid non-shielded signal connect wire, but use only shielded types

and make sure all your PC electronics is properly grounded(earth)
and especially your PC stuff should have mains filters
well, I burned my mains filters, so it might not be simple

point is that some of the noise you hear actually is real, even if you cant locate it
the bad side could be that your own ear actually produce part of it, by itself, as a result

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A lot of motorcycling with no earplugs can do that.
What? What did you say? Yeah, me too... ;(

It usually gets louder when I grow tired. When it's really loud, it's time for bed.
Very handy, a sort of reverse alarm clock.

It's amazing how quiet it gets when the power goes out. Until my generator kicks in. When I loved at the beach it was never quiet, trade winds blowing all the time, traffic, people. But up the mountain at 7000 ft it was beautiful. Almost no sound at all. Could hear flies buzzing at 20 yards or more. Just wonderful.

No it does not have to cover the ears to be effective. See example below.

Note: If your going to paint your hat you might want to prime it with a zinc-chromate primer suitable for non ferrous metals.

Attachments

• hat.jpg
    hat.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 92
  • zinc primer.jpg
    zinc primer.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 81
No, the ringing in your ears is not due to the silence, nor is it due to the power failure.

It is cold here nowadays, +17to +28deg C(don't laugh, 17 is too cold for us) We do not use fan and there is no ringing in the ears when power fails.

After returning to land from a ship cruise for a long period, u start to feel the roll and pitch for nearly two days, an after-effect. This ear thing looks to be
similar.

Gajanan Phadte

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.