A Woody Allen "tease" - Bergman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yesterday evening I was watching a PBS program on Woody Allen and "Annie Hall" -- went back to the Brooklyn days where a lot of his material comes from . He said that he was particularly influenced by (obviously) Ingmar Bergman -- but also related that he saw "Summer with Monika" at the Jewel Theater in Brooklyn.

I thought I had seen all of Bergman's films, or all that had been released in the US. This one deals with some material which would have been banned in the US in 1953. which with the hindsight of history shouldn't be surprising for Allen. It's curious, however, that there's no US area DVD, just PAL for the UK.

yesterday evening I was watching a PBS program on Woody Allen and "Annie Hall" -- went back to the Brooklyn days where a lot of his material comes from . He said that he was particularly influenced by (obviously) Ingmar Bergman -- but also related that he saw "Summer with Monika" at the Jewel Theater in Brooklyn.

I thought I had seen all of Bergman's films, or all that had been released in the US. This one deals with some material which would have been banned in the US in 1953. which with the hindsight of history shouldn't be surprising for Allen. It's curious, however, that there's no US area DVD, just PAL for the UK.

The standing in line scene from Annie Hall is still an all time favorite, I thought region codes were by now a mere inconvenience.

EDIT - Amazon says I might also like "Irreversible", NO! Bergman was never that gone.

Last edited:
I liked the 1977 New York City much more than I like the 2011 New York City. You have to watch the '60s and '70s movies on Retroplex Channel to get that gritty sense of what NY was really like before it was taken over by a bunch of investment bankers.

I'll lob a request into Criterion and see if they can put it on their list.

Hmm, I wonder if it was my sister's house.

I have almost all Kurosawa on Laser Disc of all things -- got a second Pioneer laser disc player I found in the dump. I took only one film course when McLuhan was teaching up at Fordham which qualifies me to critique his films.

I would be forever in your debt if I could get my hands on a DVD copy of Penn's "Mickey One" (only on LD).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.