Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
DVV, your writing is first rate as well as your english,your knowledge of power amp deep and profound.I even use some of your articles as a reference for power supply calculation.
I think that we, forum members , will be interested to see photos of some of your power amp built according to your electronic design.

Thank you - I wish it were all true, but I think you overdo it a bit.

Regarding my own version of a power amp, I am by now criminally late with it by some 4 months or so, in comparison with my own objectives. Some objective, some subjective reasons. However, this is a non-profit project, I am basically making it to please myself and anyone else who might be interested.

At the same time, I am trying to drive a point home - about 99.99% (literally 1 in 10.000) projects you can find on the Internet are simply schematics of the amp, and that's it. No excess DC protection, no thermal protection, no overvoltrage, no overcurrent protection, no signal status indication. Yet, all of these are VERY MUCH present in amps right up to the Krell level. Why is the DIY guy denied these things? When it's more likely he'll have these problems more than a factory unit, they just make the protection aggressive and sleep tight.

A real project, as I see it, should offer all these facilities and let the user decide whether he is going to use them or not. If not, just leave the board unpopulated but be aware that you do so at your own risk.

A real project should also include all of the PC board artwork, so anyone can do it, anywhere, and people like you, who live 40 km away, should be able to buy them from a reliable source, if they so choose. Lastly, you should have a complete adjustment and chekcup procedure outlined for you.

Then, and in my view only then, you have a complete project.

But, obviously, this is quite a bit of work, and since this is fun not work, it heavily depends on my free time - which I have a lack of.

But I will get it done, I think I am by now over the 3/4 work done line.

And, I need to say this, a very fair bit of it is a result of the discussions led here, so most of the contributors on this forum have pitched in, for which I am truly grateful.

I am especially indebted to Mr T (Thorsten Loesch, now off this forum, a friend of 11 years or so) and Nige(el Pearson), just off to Malta, the lucky sod. Watch out for the crabs, Nige. :D

Ah pillo ! You have them hidden !

I also want to see !

If you both leave the analogies to Formula One, I do not get offended... :D

That only means you have been fortunate enough to hear the scream of a healthy engine at 8,000 rpm or so. It's a sound you hear once and never forget.

By "healthy", I mean honestly tuned, angine brought up to factory tolerances or better, standard parts exchanged for really good new parts, almost by default of better quality than the original parts.

With amps, it's the other way around. You certainly don't want them screaming at you, healthy or not, you want them to give you that priceless feeling of unlimited power, as if you can never overload them.

That only means you have been fortunate enough to hear the scream of a healthy engine at 8,000 rpm or so. It's a sound you hear once and never forget.

Once built electronic ignition for race cars, I know how it feels ! ;)

By "healthy", I mean honestly tuned, angine brought up to factory tolerances or better, standard parts exchanged for really good new parts, almost by default of better quality than the original parts.

I always wanted to tune the Audi engine of my old VW... :)

With amps, it's the other way around. You certainly don't want them screaming at you, healthy or not, you want them to give you that priceless feeling of unlimited power, as if you can never overload them.

With my last amp, I experienced it, until I gave it to my client. :bawling:

Thorsten been bizzy ......:)

Yessir, he sure has been. But, that's old hat, he's been busy ever since I met him, the only worthwhile question being - doing what?

As for not being here, I believe the reason is not that he's too busy, the reason is that he has been banned far too many times for speaking his mind and having the misfortune of being a little too different for the taste of the powers that be.

I deduce this from personal experience - I don't write to him every day, but every time I did send him a message, I got my answer in good time. Without fail. On occasion, not at all gentle, sometimes even stern, but always helping out. And I've always come for the better out of it, that's a fact.

I found him hilarious with his backhanded responses, his snatch(the movie) level sarcasm was top notch .. :)

And they say Germans don't have a sense of humor ... just shows how flippant such silly generalizations are.

But you are right, T. doesn't often mince words and always either speaks his mind or says nothing, very digital behavior, 0 or 1/1.:D Kinda strange from a dedicated tube man.

But, such is life, each and every day, there are less and less of us perfect ones around. :D :D :D

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Can anyone decode his nicks in that wild post and the actual ones in here? From the description about the attacks on JC and the mention of the MC pre-pre I managed to figure out who one of them was, and made another likely match based on the association with chemistry, but after that I couldn't get further.

Not that it matters that much.

Can anyone decode his nicks in that wild post and the actual ones in here? From the description about the attacks on JC and the mention of the MC pre-pre I managed to figure out who one of them was, and made another likely match based on the association with chemistry, but after that I couldn't get further.

I can't, and frankly Brad, I don't give a damn. The instant the word "attack" appears and is in context, I have lost all interest.

Who needs to attack anyone? Only those who have nothing else to show for themselves. Who needs to attack JC, or Torsten? Only nobodies who are failed wannabes. If for example I disagree with say John or Thorsen, there are many ways for me to let them know in a civilized way, something an attack is not by default. It is disrespectful, and I find that in most cases, disrespect is personal anger with one's own failure to impress.

Seems a bit pointless to even mention good manners, home upbringing, these seem to be things from the past, all but forgotten.

Precisely , it matters not ...:)

The audio field today is too girlie , girlie for me , everyone thinks theirs is the best and cant get it when they are being poked at , Look at the responses over the BQP ...:)

I want to hear what it does , the rest is all hilarious to me , obvious to those measuring its a glorified resistor , or is it ...:)

If TL. Pokes , poke back , but it better be good , he respects that, same as watching JC poke fun with his half answers and claims , he must be chuckling up a storm ...:)

Hi end instigator ....:)

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Well sometimes I've gotten a little sensitive, so I wanted to see if I'd been called out for transgressions. But again, it doesn't matter much. I can't find an applicable quotation from Nietzsche at the moment and perhaps that's also as well :)

And as Stan Freberg parodying Joe Friday said, "Just the facts ma'am".

What makes Thorsten stand out from most, in my view, is that in all these years, I have never once seen him criticize anything without substantiating it.

He never says: "This is wrong, you blew it!", rather:"This could be better if you ......". THIS is what gives him the substance most others don't have. It doesn't really matter whether I agree with him or not, the point is he does positive criticism. A form of art almost forgotten these days. Even if I know his first comment will most probably be: "FET it, baby!" :D

Thankfully, while the circle of those who do that here (and there, and everywhere) is small, it is not limited to Thorsten alone. People like myself can and do learn a lot from such constructive criticism. I do this for fun, I am self-taught, and still honest enough with myself to know that I cannot compete with people to whom this is their profession, and especially not with people who have been doing for 30+ years and have already made their mark.

I only wish John was a little more overtly critical. I know many people don't take kindly to criticism of any kind, and all I ask is that if someone tells me something could be better that he should clearly point out how and why. I am not likely to make a gross mistake, but there are so many fine points there seems to be no end to them - THIS is where help is most appreciated.

Well sometimes I've gotten a little sensitive, so I wanted to see if I'd been called out for transgressions. But again, it doesn't matter much. I can't find an applicable quotation from Nietzsche at the moment and perhaps that's also as well :)

And as Stan Freberg parodying Joe Friday said, "Just the facts ma'am".

Brad, we all get a little sensitive from time to time. The wiser among us will ride it out if they give a damn.

If TL. Pokes , poke back , but it better be good , he respects that, same as watching JC poke fun with his half answers and claims , he must be chuckling up a storm ...:)

Hi end instigator ....:)

Wayne, there's one other thing we should always bear in mind - most of objections to amateur produced circuits is old hat to those in the know. They have pointed that out so many times they probably stopped counting long ago.

On occasion, I've had to press Thorsten really hard to back up his thoughts with a small schematic. I know it's tedious for him, and sometimes I need to remind him that I do not know what he knows, and that a picture is worth 1,000 words. He probably grumbles, but in the end, he never fails to deliver. And then it becomes quite clear to me.

I never counted, but off hand, I'd say I took Thorsten's advice on at least 80% of occasions. And was the better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.