Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a Lab, wipe the cheesies from your fingers!

Not in the Lab, in the kitchen, in an oversight of mine, he ate a couple of ceramic capacitors, a piezoelectric resonator, a piece of PCB, some plastic ...

I'm home alone, when my wife returned, she would kill me !

:idea:Plan B: go to the workshop, bring another remote, when she used, I will tell as I tell my clients, I'll check on Monday.
I hope Pepe the parrot says nothing.:D
I do not think she notices the difference.;)

If you do not see me anymore around here... she noticed the difference.:yikes:

Last edited:
Good to hear your response, dvv. I go back to Doo Wop from the mid-50's as I attended teen dances, and got to dance 'close' for the first time. It still, makes me 'young', to hear a number of them. There are so many songs that I love, I would have no way of counting them. Here in the 'States', many revivals of these old groups have been made for public TV. They are just wonderful, and I put my second hi fi system on, and watch them do the songs that they first did, over 55 years ago.
One of the finest examples of GOOD video and audio capture was done in Oslo, in the late 1960's of a number of the black rock/soul groups that toured there. It was just like going back in time to re-see them. 1/2 of it was the quality of the band/performance, and 1/2 of it was the superior recording and editing of the performance. I am now convinced that Audio WITH Video is the ideal medium for ultimate enjoyment, but of course, we have thousands of songs that have no active visuals to go with them, so we have to do even MORE to re-create the 'illusion' of the original performance (if there ever was one) because using 'just our ears' is even more of a challenge to get close to the same 'original performance'. Attempting doing that is what I do for a living.

The Marshall Tucker Band was from Spartanburg, SOUTH CAROLINA, not Georgia. We are currently in a running gun battle with Georgia over the fate of the Savannah river so this strikes a nerve. Regards

I will take your word for it, yet the label says Georgia. Them, plus Charlie Daniels band. Oh well, a typo.

Anyway, the Land Of Dixie. I find that I have much more in common with Dixie than the rest of USA. An odd, yet somehow very heart warming similarity, despite the differences.

@John Curl

I read you loud and clear, John. It seems you and I are not just on the same page, but also on the same paragraph.

I realize and admit to being very sentimental about the 1960-1980 period, and sentiment implies emotion, and emotion is not reasonable. But life makes no sense and has no point without it.

It was grand time period, when things were happening all over the planet. We naively believed we could really change things, not realizing that it was the bog money which ran things, not governments.

We got to do many things first at that time, didn't we? :D :D :D AND before they invented the [beep!] [beep!] [beep!] [beep!] pantyhoses. :D

As for the picture with the sound, no doubt that is a step forward, but to be honest, I don't really need it, I'm Old School, music is quite enough for me.

As a matter of fact, I must add that the music of the day also managed to satisfy my intellectual habits as well. I have much respect for quality lyrics, and that means I not only listen to the words, but also think of them. They can make me do that. Paul Simon's "The Boxer" remains one of my all time favorites, some Dylan songs and, of course, Leonard Cohen, ever since he appeared as the author of Robert Altman's "McCabes and Mrs. Millers" in 1971 or 1972 (Warren Beatty and Julie Christie). "Closing Time" being both my AND my wife's favorite.

My very great fortune in life is the fact that my good wife is also a music lover. However, she is mostly into classical music, whereas I am not, if you discount the one and only Waldo de los Rios, an Argentinian living and working in Spain, who came to prominence in the mid-70ies with his awesome arrangements of classical pieces. It took me 10 years to pick up his CD. Anyway, wife has her own system (H/K 680 integrated, Sony CD/DVD player, JBL Ti600 floorstanders, van den Hul wiring), and her own CD collection, 95% classical, some fado, rest miscellanous. This fact does actually increase her understanding and tolerance levels way up, she has never once questioned my Amazon.com purchases of CDs, ever, or any of my audio gear purchases - so long as I let her system alone. :D

Well, I did say once that if she made me angry enough, I'd open up the H/K and spit at all of its rectifiers.
:D :D :D

Last edited:
@John Curl

I read you loud and clear, John. It seems you and I are not just on the same page, but also on the same paragraph.

I realize and admit to being very sentimental about the 1960-1980 period, and sentiment implies emotion, and emotion is not reasonable. But life makes no sense and has no point without it.

It was grand time period, when things were happening all over the planet. We naively believed we could really change things, not realizing that it was the bog money which ran things, not governments.

We got to do many things first at that time, didn't we? :D :D :D AND before they invented the [beep!] [beep!] [beep!] [beep!] pantyhoses. :D

As for the picture with the sound, no doubt that is a step forward, but to be honest, I don't really need it, I'm Old School, music is quite enough for me.

As a matter of fact, I must add that the music of the day also managed to satisfy my intellectual habits as well. I have much respect for quality lyrics, and that means I not only listen to the words, but also think of them. They can make me do that. Paul Simon's "The Boxer" remains one of my all time favorites, some Dylan songs and, of course, Leonard Cohen, ever since he appeared as the author of Robert Altman's "McCabes and Mrs. Millers" in 1971 or 1972 (Warren Beatty and Julie Christie). "Closing Time" being both my AND my wife's favorite.

My very great fortune in life is the fact that my good wife is also a music lover. However, she is mostly into classical music, whereas I am not, if you discount the one and only Waldo de los Rios, an Argentinian living and working in Spain, who came to prominence in the mid-70ies with his awesome arrangements of classical pieces. It took me 10 years to pick up his CD. Anyway, wife has her own system (H/K 680 integrated, Sony CD/DVD player, JBL Ti600 floorstanders, van den Hul wiring), and her own CD collection, 95% classical, some fado, rest miscellanous. This fact does actually increase her understanding and tolerance levels way up, she has never once questioned my Amazon.com purchases of CDs, ever, or any of my audio gear purchases - so long as I let her system alone. :D

Well, I did say once that if she made me angry enough, I'd open up the H/K and spit at all of its rectifiers.
:D :D :D

Ah yes. Folk music when we could actually hear the lyrics. I grew up on Folk and Broadway, schooled in the 70's Rock and found Jazz and Filk, now have migrated to about half classical. Guitar or really big Eastern European nasty violent music. Night on Bald Mountain kind of stuff. I guess I listen to about everything but Country and Rap. Just don't like Country and I can't appreciate Rap when I can't understand the lyrics. Granted, I could never understand Zapa, but I am not sure I want to. " Watch out where..."

Ever notice, the vast majority of good sit-coms had Jazz theme music.

Ah yes. Folk music when we could actually hear the lyrics. I grew up on Folk and Broadway, schooled in the 70's Rock and found Jazz and Filk, now have migrated to about half classical. Guitar or really big Eastern European nasty violent music. Night on Bald Mountain kind of stuff. I guess I listen to about everything but Country and Rap. Just don't like Country and I can't appreciate Rap when I can't understand the lyrics. Granted, I could never understand Zapa, but I am not sure I want to. " Watch out where..."

Ever notice, the vast majority of good sit-coms had Jazz theme music.

I try not to. I intensly dislike most jazz, although there are pieces here and there which I do like - play Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" anytime and watch me smile. Or Billy Cobham's "Quadrant".

Status
Not open for further replies.