Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a few dozen frogs killing themselves in chlorine during their annual migration to the creek ? (make interesting floating corpses)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/73831-water-cooled-zen-amp-2.html#post1349222

I find them sometimes in my Jacuzzi. They crawl under the lid. :D
But it is right that we live near the creek, and frogs really sing sometimes, but that time they were singing from speakers. I have line arrays from 200 Hz to the sky (2 ways), woofers in concrete boxes, and horn concrete subwoofer under the floor. 4 ways total (well, 3 - amped because mid-frequency and high - frequency arrays are driven from one amp)

Was it heard like intermodulation of signal harmonics with sample frequency?

The test was 30 years ago and I never felt the need to repeat it. The difference was a sensation of pressure change on the ear drum rather change in signal quality. That is what made it easy to detect. As for rigor - the tape machine had 24 channels and there was more than one machine. The tape machines were also meticulously maintained and used by studio mixing engineers who spend their lives listening for faults and are very good at spotting them.

The point is that the sine test is for presence, the band limited square wave is for absence. The tests are conjugate. Either one on its own is a flawed test.

Last edited:

Ribbet!

A boy was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess." He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket.

The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful Princess, I will stay with you for one week." The boy took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket.

The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a Princess, I'll stay with you and do *Anything* you want." Again the boy took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket.

Finally the frog asked, "What is it? I've told you I'm a beautiful Princess, that I'll stay with you for a week and do *Anything* you want. Why won't you kiss me?"

The boy said, "Look, I'm an audio designer. I don't have time for girlfriends, but a talking frog is really cool.":D

Scott,

AP's latest newsletter was a tutorial on square waves and DSP. Should be on their site for the curious.

Now what has been pointed out is that if you listen to electronic music that does use square wave tones, then there just might be an actual difference!

Please note I said mis-behavior, neither CD or LP will retain the BW of a square wave generator directly applied to the input. My Kraftwerk LP's sound fine BW limited or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.