Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is Carver's double blind test NOW?

Still at the same link.

Interestingly, TdP has said on many occasions that there's no magic to electronics, he can make a solid state and tube amp sound identical. He was also quite explicit when he criticized my phono stage that the design considerations must be led by fashion, and that's where my design came up short.

Attachments

• Shrek-the-Third-Three-Blind-Mice-01.jpg
    Shrek-the-Third-Three-Blind-Mice-01.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 104
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Still at the same link.

Interestingly, TdP has said on many occasions that there's no magic to electronics, he can make a solid state and tube amp sound identical. He was also quite explicit when he criticized my phono stage that the design considerations must be led by fashion, and that's where my design came up short.

An honest man. As Basil Fawlty says in the one episode, "...we should have him stuffed."

I have a Papworth TVA10 valve amp that is a descendant of a design by Tim de Paravicini I believe. When it broke one day I was forced to trace out the circuit diagram in order to fix it. I realised that gain was being thrown away because of a method of stabilising the DC conditions. I re-worked the DC stabilisation with a fairly minor mod which freed up the extra gain. In addition I had to alter the frequency compensation to make it stable. Having done this, the pre clip distortion dropped from 0.1% to 0.046% on the worst channel. McIntosh MC series of valve amps achieve around 0.06% pre clip from looking at Stereophile's measurements. I haven't come across any measurements better than this for a valve amp unless someone informs me otherwise.

Listening to the amp, post fix, it now sounded like my MOSFET one. I was also able to compare it with my TVA50 which is the same topology in a different chassis. I actually prefer the sound pre fix but which is the 'better' amp?

@spladski..

You mean which had the nicer distortion ... ? :)

Lay yer money down an' make yer pick, mister. :cool:

Actually, you'd probably love 'em, Wayne, because the quite literally double down. Not too hard, given the load impedances and the fact that I use 50 W trannies for the BJT and 70W trannies for the MOSFET, both in SEPP topology.

When you work it out, with a say 2Vrms output, you probably get split eardrums - remember, all headphones tend to VERY efficient, so 1 mW into say 30 Ohms produces 90 dB and upwards SPL.

Where is Carver's double blind test NOW?

John, you use "double blind" as a pejorative as if it immediately discounts the results. As I remember the participants had no complaints as to the protocol, and freely accepted the results as well as being well into the subjectivist camp. I'm sure they went right back to demagnetizing their LP's when it was all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.