Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to point out what the difference between 'high fidelity' and 'high end' is. They both have the same goal, although sometimes one might be in one camp or the other, and be either sonically wonderful or sort of lousy.
High End is mostly BUILD QUALITY and CIRCUIT SOPHISTICATION, based on a 'no holds barred' making of a specific brand of products. If this makes for a superior product sonically, then it is worth it. If not, then it is a failure, and perhaps a waste of money.
It is difficult to tell the difference without trying an individual component in ones hi fi system.
Early examples of 'High End' even before Mark and I came on the scene, were the Marantz 10 tuner, Marantz 9 amp (especially in triode operation) and the McIntosh 3500 power amplifier. These were 'all out' designs that were well built, as well. Examples of 'hi fi' at the time were the next generation of Marantz solid state components, SAE, Ampzilla, etc. These components did NOT meet the standards of a REALLY high quality amplifier or preamplifier when compared to the best tube designs, from the past, or from Audio Research at the time. Audio Research initially was 'hi fi' due to its construction and parts selection, but it has now moved to 'High End'.
So it is not just sound quality that separates 'High End' from 'High Fidelity', but build quality. You can have sonically superior in either mode, but usually 'High End' has the advantage of the best parts and construction, so all else being equal, it will prevail.

I can agree with this ....

. At the time, Dynaco was going through the last of its big days, and James Bongiorno was busy desiging SAE gear, but I always felt SAE was more of a show than the Real Deal, although I should not complain, I had their model 5000 crackle and pop remover, and I must admit it worked as advertised. Later on, I heard two more units with the same mission, both from UK, and they could not compare, they were way behing the SAE.

McIntosh was going strong, as were some other companies of the day, like BGW, etc.

Only the Dyna 416 could be classified here and SAE never impressed at anytime, same as BGW....

In terms of build quality, SAE was there, ohovering on the borderline, but was ultimately let down by savings in wrong places.

For example, their own declaration at the back of their model I think it was 2400 L (nominally 200W/8 Ohms) clearly stated: 40V into 8 Ohms, 28.3V into 4 Ohms. I wouldn't take that from a run-off-the-mill Japanese product, ler alone what wishes to be something higher up. It wasn't until Sumo that James got it right.

SAE was not hi-end, I remember taking one of Julius's offerings, his "Audire" line and destroying my friends much "bigger" SAE power amplifier(1980) the SAE had amplifier sound, weak too on the Acoustats ..

You viewed the wrapper? Is that accessible on the USPTO site? Interesting!

Yes, wrappers are accessible through USPTO. I think they're way more interesting than the actual issued patents. The sneakier ones have a back and forth that seems to have no resolution, then there's an oral interview (not transcribed, alas) and suddenly the claims issue. I always wonder in cases like that if the oral interview consists of the applicant telling the examiner that he knows where the examiner's kids go to school and has a map of the route they take. Or photos of the examiner in compromising situations with hookers.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Yes, wrappers are accessible through USPTO. I think they're way more interesting than the actual issued patents. The sneakier ones have a back and forth that seems to have no resolution, then there's an oral interview (not transcribed, alas) and suddenly the claims issue. I always wonder in cases like that if the oral interview consists of the applicant telling the examiner that he knows where the examiner's kids go to school and has a map of the route they take. Or photos of the examiner in compromising situations with hookers.

:D:D That's not implausible!

What is missing here is Mid Fi, which is where SAE, solid state Marantz, HK (most solid state) etc. could be placed. Today 'High Fidelity' is separated into 'High End' and 'Mid Fi' primarily. If any of you would just look at the 'build quality' of the two, you would come to understand the potential difference.

Tvr, I found the PERFECT reference book for you on AMAZON!. 'THE SEMICONDUCTOR DATA BOOK' (HARDCOVER) Motorola 1970 for $1.97. Surely you can justify this! I have this book next to me, among many others, but this has just about everything you need to know, at the moment.

Odd, it did not come up when I searched yesterday. Came up today. On its way. Actually, I bought the "good" condition for $2.05

Hi,

The point is, it is no longer n production by Toshiba.

I don't know when Toshiba nixed them, last time I looked Tosh Stocks where still for sale (genuine).

However, the datasheet is still worth looking at as it is one of the few I have found to show detailed H-Parameter dependence on Voltage and current.

Wikipedia has an article on H-Parameters and how to use them to derive other parameters (e.g. Rc') from them, in case you forgot the precise equations...

Ciao T

What is missing here is Mid Fi, which is where SAE, solid state Marantz, HK (most solid state) etc. could be placed. Today 'High Fidelity' is separated into 'High End' and 'Mid Fi' primarily. If any of you would just look at the 'build quality' of the two, you would come to understand the potential difference.

While I agree in general, I must point out some difficulties. SAE for example got their act together circa 1980 and produced models such as X25 series, which were a far cry from their original models, MUCH improved all around, and especially in awkward load drive capability.

I always thought it was a good move but late by about 4 or 5 years.

Agreed on Harman's general wares, but again, we have a slight problem here, their Citation series.

Many believe their Citation XX was THE ultimate audio power amplifier, but it's rare as hell, and despite many efforts, I never once managed to see a test of it anywhere.

Later models were more down to earth, but again quite a way above your Mid Fi level, I'd say somewhere in a limbo between Mid Fi and High End.

Marantz is easier to pinpoint. Their 1978-1980 series were, in my view, the best they ever made in terms of regular production models (meaning they were not some special series, etc), and I should know, I have a cupboard full of them, mostly restored (except for two, which are in the works). After 1980, they had their share of Esotec series, with a couple of formidable amps, but that was it. Today, I see them and upper midrange Japanese weares. Which is a polite way of saying that they were big while their designs were done in USA, and manufacturing in Japan.

In my view, Marantz was a victim of changing owners.

I don't want to put anyone down, but their Ken Ishiwata strikes me as a clown more than anything else. Just a wanna-be. Not the Real Deal. But that's just me.

Tvr, this purchase of yours might be the best investment you have made recently, saving you time and keeping you from potential mistakes. You might actually learn a bit more of what 'real' designers know about devices, as well.

I wholeheartedly second this.

It will, at the very least, clearly demonstrate to you why some of us old guys, who were weaned on stuff like that, are so unhappy with what we are given as Data Sheets today.

Hi,

Citation XX ? What about the 16....?

At least in looks the 16 is as low end as they come. Horrible.

Compared to that the XX is true high end in style AND design:

2005-12-13_194849_xxbottomopenr1.JPG

Next to that the 16 looks like a homebuild Hafler kit:

attachment.php

Ciao T

Hi,

Interesting , never heard of the XX ....

You should check it out, service manual too. The circuit is rather esotheric. Unlike any other commercial Amp I have seen (and I have seen one or two in my time).

The lower units of the "X Series" (that is X as letter X, not as roman numeral) are tame by comparison, merely fully symmetric cascoded fet inputs and so on. Though many of the followers of Self would probably have their eyes popping out at the mere sight...

The 700 Range is also worth a look.

It is noteworthy that these units where all designed and made in Japan for HK with input from Matti Ottala...

Ciao T

Hi,

Very interesting attempt , but the damn thing current limits going from 8-4 ohm

It does?

Here the official specs:

Power (20Hz...20Khz, IHF) : 2x 250W (RMS, 8 Ohm, THD <0,1%)
Power (1Khz, DIN) : 2x 440W (RMS, 4 Ohm, THD <0,1%)
Current capacity (HCC) : 200A

Harman/Kardon Citation XX on thevintageknob.org (click on specs)

I see no indication of current limiting anywhere.

Ciao T

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I believe it was one more attempt to "revive" the Citation name that Andy Hefley was working on, and had just been cancelled and he fired, when I started as an employee at Harman Electronics (a chilling beginning). I never saw the schematics then, but they were throwing away a lot of good parts that were destined for a pilot run, and I acquired a lot of 2SK364BL (same chip as the 2SK170BL, just characterized for analog switching), as well as a bunch of 1SV103 dual varactors.

At one point I had someone measuring 364s for pinchoff and transconductance. A two-parameter match produced a bunch of pairs which were built into temperature-stabilized aluminum discs. That project was for the HIII R&D switching system, but the ambitions of the original design were toned down when the budget turned out to be rather smaller than anticipated. I still have the assemblies, which included LM35 temp sensors, heaters, heater driver Qs, and the JFETs.

Status
Not open for further replies.