Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sy,

An extremely rich literature. I'm sure that if you google "sensory research," "hedonic analysis," and similar terms, you'll find the thousands of textbooks and papers which deal with this research area.

Please provide direct references to research on auditory perception in the context of audio systems playing music that are relevant and provide proof of the ability "to measure" sonic phenomena.

All else is just questionable generalisation of specific research and bad science.

Ciao T

Apply 1 MHz triangle on full swing to see close how it behaves on 20 KHz sine. If it is subtle on oscilloscope and hard to measure, it may be well audible as "something is odd". But if it looks nice, fronts of squares are equal, that means at least stereo image would not be blurred by phase intermodulation.

Hello Wavebourn

Can you explain more about this test, with practical examples ?

Thank you

Bye

Gaetan

Then this thread is superfluous ? There are already measurements that establish a objective relation to the subjective perception of "sound quality" ?

In order, no and yes. Taking the latter, there are a lot of published papers and books correlating measurements with perceived quality (I mentioned a very well-known, useful, and accessible one a few posts back). I'm not convinced that the thread is superfluous since it's not a closed field with all answers known.

Here's a few more, just sticking with Toole and Olive (two of the best and most careful researchers out there)

F.E. Toole and S.E. Olive, "The Modification of Timbre by Resonances: Perception and Measurement", J. Audio Eng. Soc., vol. 36, pp. 122-142 (1988 March).
S.E. Olive and F.E. Toole, "The Detection of Reflections in Typical Rooms", J. Audio Eng. Soc., vol. 37, pp. 539-553 (1989 July/August).
S.E. Olive and F.E. Toole, "The Evaluation of Microphones - Part1: Measurements", 87th Convention, Audio Eng., Soc., preprint no. 2837 (1989 October).
S.E. Olive, "The Preservation of Timbre", Proceedings of the 8th International Conference, Audio Eng., Soc. (1990 May).
P. Schuck, S. Olive, E. Verreault, M. Bonneville, S. Sally "On the Use of Parametric Spectrum Analysis for High-Resolution, Low-Frequency, Free-Field Loudspeaker Measurements", 11th Int. Conference, Audio Eng. Soc. (1992 May).
P. L. Schuck, S. Olive, J. Ryan, F. E. Toole, S Sally, M. Bonneville, E. Verreault, Kathy Momtahan, "Perception of Reproduced Sound in Rooms: Some Results from the Athena Project", pp.49-73, Proceedings of the 12th International Conference, Audio Eng. Soc. (1993 June).
S.E. Olive, P. Schuck, S. Sally, M. Bonneville, "The Effects of Loudspeaker Placement on Listener Preference Ratings", J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 42, pp. 651-669 (1994 September).
F.E. Toole and S.E. Olive, "Hearing is Believing vs. Believing is Hearing: Blind vs. Sighted Listening Tests and Other Interesting Things", 97th Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint No. 3894 (1994 Nov.).
S. E. Olive, "A Method for Training of Listeners and Selecting Program Material for Listening Tests", 97th Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint No. 3893 (1994 November).
S.E. Olive, "Separating Fact From Fiction Through Listening Tests", proceedings of the 1995 DSPx Technical Program, pp. 454-463, (1995 May).
F.E Toole and S.E. Olive, "Listening Test Methods for Computer Workstation Audio Systems", 99th Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., No Preprint (1995 October).
S.E. Olive, P. Schuck, J. Ryan, S. Sally, M. Bonneville, "The Variability of Loudspeaker Sound Quality Among Four Domestic-Sized Rooms", presented at the 99th AES Convention, preprint 4092 K-1 (1995 October).
S. E. Olive, "A Method for Training Listeners: Part II –", presented at the 101st Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., (no preprint), abstract published in J. AES Vol. 44, No. 12 (1996 Dec.).
S.E. Olive, P. Schuck, J. Ryan, S. Sally, M. Bonneville, "The Detection Thresholds of Resonances at Low Frequencies", J. AES Vol. 45, No. 3 (1997 March.).
S.E. Olive, B. Castro and F.E. Toole, " A New Laboratory For Evaluating Multichannel Systems and Audio Components", 105th AES Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., preprint no. 4842 (1998 Sept).
S.E. Olive,"Subjective Evaluation of 3-D Sound Based on Two Loudspeakers", Proceeding of the 15th International Conference, Audio Eng. Soc. (1998 Oct.).
S.E. Olive, B. Castro and F.E. Toole, "A New Laboratory and Methodology for the Subjective Evaluation of Workstation Audio Systems" presented at the 106th Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., Munich, (1999 May).
F.E. Toole and S.E. Olive, "Subjective Evaluation", in J. Borwick, ed. "Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook - Third Edition", Focal Press, London, Feb. 2001.
S.E. Olive, "A New Listener Training Software Application" presented at the 110th AES Convention, Amsterdam, May 2001.
S.E. Olive, "Evaluation of Five Commercial 3D Stereo Enhancement Plugins" presented at the 110th AES Convention, Amsterdam, May 2001.
Sean Olive, "Differences in Performance and Preference of Trained versus Untrained Listeners in Loudspeaker Tests: A Case Study,"2003 September, Vol 51 Number 9

Well, I prefer to believe in what I hear, rather than what others tell me that I 'can' hear. This is a real problem, and like some past 'philosophies' cloaked as 'scientific', this approach that SY truly believes in, will most probably go by and pass into history. Much like Freudian psychotherapy, or reading 'bumps' on people's heads to show their inherent tendencies in behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.