Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Square?? third order in the 10khz rise and not flattop at 1khz

I suspect they have the usual creative definition of "zero" feedback. A couple of obvious thought questions. What bi-polar output stage at any bias level has a ppm level open-loop transfer function? How do you make an arrangement of bi-polar devices have a usable well defined temperature stable gain with NO feedback (which includes degeneration)?

Love the build quality.
I don't understand the rise/fall curvature on hte 10khz signal and the |100mV| or so voltage rise on the 1khz signal, there is also an overshoot leading edge

Attachments

• 811Soulfig2.jpg
    811Soulfig2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 811Soulfig3.jpg
    811Soulfig3.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 205
Stuart; I have such experience. More than year ago I bought a cheap discounted HT receiver in order to use it as a donor for DSP, for tube based home cinema. But still did not dare to damage it, use as is. It really sounds very close to vacuum tube output amp. I once had a guest in my house, who is an audiophile. We were going to take my Gubernator single ended triode amp and go to another audiophile, to try it with his nice speakers. Some record was playing through my HT system, when he come, and he asked, if it was tube amp, I said no. He said that for solid state amp it sounds too nice.

Hello

A home theater receiver, which brand and model ?

I would be currious to find the schematic of this HT receiver with Google, to look at it.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Hi,

Before speculating on yet-to-be-determined phenomena, it would be nice if someone could actually show that the $45k Soulution actually sounded any different than a $2000 Parasound or a $300 Marantz... I'm just dreaming, of course. :D

Well, it has been shown before (if not for the precise amplifiers you have listed, but in principle), even in blind tests. However it would seem that you reject the evidence so far in the public domain.

Would you care to precisely define in detail what "actually show" would entail?

Ciao T

Hi,

Here is the Denon amp schema. It's large for detail so you may have to scroll around.

There seems very little uncommon about this amplifier, except, both gain stages have resistive loading which limits the open loop gain quite significantly over unloaded conditions. Sadly it does not really help linearity, as degeneration may have been a better choice.

Interestingly this is the one common feature with the Rotel Amplifiers tvrgeeks wife tolerates...

Ciao T

Glad to see the attention I've brought upon the Soulution amps. I too would be very interested to read what makes these amps "tick" since I've been watching this company since 2008 that I first heard them.

I should inform those of you who didn't read the original ("best sounding amplifiers") thread that this is only my personal subjective (and thus kinda useless to the rest of you) preference out of the many production amps I've heard in shows, hobbyist homes, stores etc.

The best Soulution setup I've heard was with Sonus Faber Stradivari's (that's actually the best setup I've ever heard - period).
They even sounded good with horns, which are not my cup of tea tbh...

Soulution-powered setups have constantly been one of the few that I've heard and thought "ok this is nothing like what I hear in my place".
That and LAMM gear if I had to choose a tube setup as well.

Again I'm not much of a subjectivist but I'm human after all and when I saw that my subjective evaluation was matched with good measurements, excellent build quality and great mechanical construction, I was sold.
I do have to remember to enter lotteries and stuff more often though, cause I'll never be able to afford that gear otherwise... :D

Until then I'll stick to my DIY gear.. :p

I'll be reading the tech analysis/discussion with interest.

Last edited:
Well, it has been shown before (if not for the precise amplifiers you have listed, but in principle)...

A lot of slip between "in principle" and what I said. :D

In my mind, "measurements" include measurement of subjective perception. It can certainly be quantified, and determined objectively. That seems like step one before trying to correlate some electrical measurement, a reason why I urge tvrgeek to run a better listening test for his wife to nail that down. It's really not that hard to do.

Sy,

In my mind, "measurements" include measurement of subjective perception. It can certainly be quantified, and determined objectively.

As we are talking about music replay systems (not any other subjective perception) please provide the suggested procedures including proof of controls implemented and proof the procedures are sufficiently sensitive using very small sample sizes for the evaluation of music replay systems.

In case of the employment of statistical methods in the context of this evaluation it would be essential to state the likelyhood of both types of statistical errors (this has been called error budget) and show that the risk of either type of statistical error is balanced (equal risk) and that any results can be taken to have any statistical power. In cases statistics are not involved we of course do not need such details.

Ciao T

Status
Not open for further replies.