Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
wouldn't have to be to beat my 11x12' space.

I recently helped design some speaker to work in a space like that. For my troubles I have a pair. These went to my girlfriend. They take on the KEF LS50 which is a bit like taking on Porsche in terms of design of the technical. I may have to move soon and the luxury of a larger room might have to be in the past. I might well be wanting a pair. Like the virus of yesterday they almost seem alive when the maths say otherwise. Where they fail it the number of bass notes is limited. There is every suggestion of there being bass except on better speakers there is an octave of music shown to be missing ( not bass, music ). The answer would be a double true subwoofers ( 15 to 100 Hz ). The small room can not give low bass. Even so it needs to try ( bass transients ).

Although my admiration of the KEF is total I feel something about my design is better. In the same way the awful Fiat 850 became the Fiat Spider we found something that wasn't there. For obvious reasons I can not name the design. Having set up Colleen's system I was mildly jealous. It is so very good on the basics. It is the Linn Naim stuff that they fail to give in many systems. It also does not trade tonal beauty to get there.

When I move house which might be Dorset I plan to buy something that can be lived in and build on. A guest bedroom and as best I can a copy of what I have near Oxford.

If anyone has a mild interest my question about viruses yesterday was about why they fool us into being so sick. Thinking or not the steering force is doing something very much to promote their existance. By making my body think it is a bacteria it gets broadcast just like seeds. The toxic products do not warrent this. The imune system is the answer to the cure. As viruses have existed I guess as long as life itself this is cunning plan.

Looking at life. A Jelly fish might tick more boxes on what is life. Virus, Jellyfish, Ant. Ant is what I mean by a true lifeform. However it is not the best version of an ant . I have elected myself patron saint of Wasps. The Wasp is a very interesting machine. It came before bees and flowers. Like humans when drunk best keep away ( fruit when ripe ). Bees use a Fibonnaci system to source food. Using a pattern of 1.618 this makes for psudo random selection ( hunting dogs also ). This means they do not over work. It is said they electostatically charge the flower to say it has been visited. The bee seems to be an adapted wasp. Einstein unlike most people thought it worth saying how if we loose the bee we loose options for life. After 1918 in England we lost our bees. The ones we now have came from Italy. In the USA and everywhere this problem is back. What is so stupid is that might be the greatest gift he gave us and 99.99999 % might have less than no imediate interest.

I think one test of life is daft. The fuel system. It is like saying an electric locomotive is not a locomotive because it's fuel system is not onboard. Emotionally I share that view, two stroke Diesel if asked. That's the point, emotional. One virus despite not being life was the greater human disaster 1914/18 era. Less than 100 years ago and not really understood then. The Radcliffe hospital in Oxford has just been redevelloped. It is where antibiotics started. My mother started at or around the same time ( 1929 ).

Then I understood. Classification of life would stilll cause eithical problems circa 1900. That's very poor science. It's also a very poor use of sceince to prove an arguement either way on that. A thinking computer will cause the same problems. Thank goodness for Quantum mechanics. That is a science that makes you look very stupid if you don't believe the counter intuitive. Anyone care to say Quantum is wrong ? A virus might work at a Quantum level, certainly it has a program ( a virus is a memory stick and we are the USB port ). If so chemical compounds are primitive life. That is a reasonable thought, we call them building blocks of life. Third generation star dust.

Bill, if you want "results" of some type, just find a Spice model of a fairly typical circuit used in a power amplifier, and replace the "ideal" power supply with a simulation model of some real world power supply parts. I did that as an exercise some time ago with a circuit posted in diyAudio by Bob Cordell, and saw the distortion worsen by a factor of about 100 - it's trivial to get measurable effects occurring.

I realise it's swimming against the stream to not fall in with the standardised set of thinking, but there's no value in the latter for me - I prefer to enjoy listening to my recordings, so I do what it takes to give me that experience, ;).

The interesting thing is, that it's very easy to verify both via simulations and real world experimenting that the quality of power supplies is extremely important, yet they are nearly always treated as being of second order importance. My ears over the years have had to endure much mediocre sound from systems lacking quality engineering in this area, and it seems this trend will continue ...

Frank. I had a weird upgrade to my 1930's style OB speakers. I used up some green spray paint on the MDF backs. I had a tidy up of the crossover. The improvement was silly. Same as a PSU tidy up. As someone who has built a few and listened with a spectrum analyser ( I admit it ) like a chef I tend to repeat my way of cooking.

Now the second part. My small speakers were going very badly wrong. We even built a 29 foot flag pole with Union Jack to hide it's true use. That was free air testing . Everytime we corrected one fault we made a new one or three . The sound became more processed and bland. So we abandoned the idea. We looked for drive units that could on paper cover the problem areas. My design breif went from like LS3/5A to better Linn Kan. I left final devellopement to the team. If a car it would be the details that make or brake ( my undisclosed hunch did win, perhaps I steered them ). Then I got my pair. They work and have migrated to LS3/5A land . The simplicity works and is much like PSU design as to why. There are so many things I would like to say. Better not as it would be unfair. I would say for reasons I only just understand speakers are like PSU design.

Frank. The OB's play loud and sweet now. Low volume is wonderful . They have far more bass than I thought. They shout a little. Like owners of Lowther I live with that. To cure it would cost money. The small speakers do not have it and shouldn't. When they go active I suspect that will improve a little. Up to now changing that took the magic away. I have been given some TDA7293 kits. I am tempted to try them as they are ready to go. The 15 inch bass unit in bridge might work ( 5R7 +/- 45 V ). A TL074 would make the inverting buffers well enough. That way the preamp will not see an extra load. The buffer can be the filter also if cunning.

Which is fine ... good engineering skill has been applied to get a competent result, which is how it should be. But there is a lot of working audio gear out there where that level of attention to detail hasn't been applied - so either one looks out for the items where the extra thought has gone into things - like, as another example, the Einstein The Amp - or modifies the equipment one acquires, like the big boy Perreaux I bought 30 years ago, which are lacking; or design from scratch.

If one chooses to think in a different way, it's easy to stress an amplifier, by using the right recordings, to expose power supply weaknesses - and then decide whether and how to do something about it ...

Frank. I had a weird upgrade to my 1930's style OB speakers. I used up some green spray paint on the MDF backs. I had a tidy up of the crossover. The improvement was silly
If what you worked on was precisely the single worst "problem" they had, then that makes sense - take away the "badness", don't keep adding "goodness", ;).
Frank. The OB's play loud and sweet now. Low volume is wonderful . They have far more bass than I thought. They shout a little.
That's exactly the area I enjoy working in, :D ... I would zoom right in and work out precisely where that problem was - which I see as a system issue, not necessarily speaker related. The 'magic' is always there, waiting to come out; and if it goes away then you've taken a wrong turning - back up, and try a different approach. I've done this exercise over and over again, over the years - persistence, and a belief that all the gremlins can be sorted is key - it's worked for me, every time, :).

Whilst evidence isn't proff and proving a thing to be false is much easier ( so called scientists disprove things as their lifes work, those who do not write books might see fault in they who do and call it a living ) , one of my speculations of a long time seems to be true. Viruses are the vehicles for mutation. Like a new good car is a mutation of an old one. As a virus is amongst the most stupid of things many bad cars have to be made. Hopefully my poetry isn't mistaken this time, " stupid " being not exactly what I mean to say.

A virus can not be without some reason. Like most things, most are neither good nor bad except what our bodies make of them. If that misquote can be allowed ?

Viruses May Play Vital Role In Brain Function | IFLScience

You are right and yet perhaps No 1 in brain devellopement ? Airline staff seem unusually less affected by radiation than would be thought, they receive more than is thought ideal. Marginally better health than average if I am correct where it would be noticed. It has been said it might just give them some imunity. As this can not be explained it is something which runs right against instinct.

I remember my friend Amir saying if he gave me some Uranium to put on the shelf in my office it would do me no harm. He said a house brick size. In household gloves it could be held. Infact the epidermis is said to be deep enough to hold it. He said don't eat it. The film Hot Potato is worth watching. My engineer Peter was talking about weapons grade material and no special precautions as it is nice to machine. When I asked how many died on thinking he said none. He did say not to test the ball and socket shapes. There were no glass screens and just a bucket to catch the swarf. Peter is unlikely to lie. The lathes were standard. I suspect I shouldn't give the exact location. To be honest Peter would not have been able to invent that story, he wasn't quick enough to make it up like that . He is about 70 and has recent eye problems. This is most likely due to welding and not his mid life work. Peter invented the 450 Bar valves now required in oil field shut off valves. The were 150 bar before Piper Alpha. Not a bad man to make the Garrard 501.

I just looked at those examples. Not very good. In any growing population it is hardly surprising the rate of groth of anything is similar. I think the examples choosen are very poor and mildy silly.

My friend Paul and I were in a pub talking stuff. This man begged us to offer an algorithm to fit the stock market. We explained as best we could why it was impossible . He got very aggressive, it seemed no good saying if we knew why didn't we use it ? In the end I said it mosly likely will look like a Fibonachi sequence of no known origin point. He pointed his finger and said " you see , you did know ". My friend Paul claims not to be a mathamatician, that's why he has published three books on it. Me , I just have a gifted friend. He is silly enough to live 70 feet away.

I was at the Rotary Club. I was saying the world is changing. These were all money market people. The quote I was hammered with was " As we all know the growth of money is exponential, always was, always will be ". To which I said " Exponential growth is typical of bacteria, they die in there own waste products, Yes you are right ". Fiobonachi is more correct as some die along the way. ( root 5 +1 )/2

All the scientists at chernobyl after the accident died. None from radiation.

Russian pilots OTOH have poor outcomes.

I know a little. I had an opptertunity to go to the core. I can not move fast enough to make that visit. The core is not the most radioactive part. It is a corridor. How it was done is you have a badge and you get full dose for a year in a few seconds. The protection is boots and plastic with gaffer tape. It must not be heavy, one has to run.

I was offered recently to visit the plant . My boss firmly said no. The guys and I are thinking to do the Transiberian Railway when most dangerous instead ( 8 days, Euro 170 I think at the time from Moscow ). I learned a bit more about Chernobly recently and do not want to go.

Colleen took me to Sizewell A and B for a picnic and said I looked a bit uneasy. Bless her. Dejan knows the replica at Hinkley Point.

Thorium reactors look possible. Cornwall has plenty of ore.

I think you got my meaning. The actual one. I doubt very much it would have happened. There was a job related to it at a very low wage ( $30 000 ) and the need to learn unusual langauges. The risks of the job were not radiation. These would have been identical reactors as the one stated. My skills as an electronics engineer were required. Above that I don't want to say. It was a crazy job and very glad the funding didn't arrive. Like a fool I had said yes. One thing I can say is I like to keep things simple. For this I would have had to for my safety. How I was offered is I was asked to solve a problem. It ended in being asked to be part of my idea. I would have had a very fancy job title. Big deal.

Looking up flight crews they do seem to have more cancer. I am sorry to say the previous statistics were probably ?????????

Oils. Simple SAE 30 no aditives. Very hard to get. Sewing machine oil is OK if a little thin. ATF is exactly what Garrard used. Use too much is the best advice and fit some sort of seal. The best engineering of bearings is just the oil. Sorry to say the other things I read by common sense alone are not correct. Motorcar oils have too much extra stuff. Harmless in a presure bearing, not so in turntables. Synthetics seem worst of all, certainly not the oil if so. Turbine jacking oil oil is great if you can get it, I seem to remember Esso grade 77 is about right . Verdier used Rocol slide oil for lathes, intuitively that seems wonderful. I visited the Hoover Dam. I asked if they had problems with oil. He was dumb struck. " Yes we did, we went back to 1930's oils ". Alas Eddy Bowers part inventor of the Fuel Cell and oil expert has just gone into a home aged about 89, he has no idea what or who he was. After giving up work he stopped doing complex tasks. I am sure that is bad news. In 1952 his team perfected a very old idea of the fuel cell. The most hen pecked man I ever saw and she no brain at all . The USA bought the Fuel Cell design from BNF near Wantage.

I did a bit of research. As BNF sold their interest of an almost certainly secret idea they have no mention in history. Bloody right for being idiots. Bacon was the man I suspect ( same name as ancester ). It is said 1959. 1952 in truth. BNF also perfected alloys for fuel rods. Eddy perfected the works pension. I say this now as I suspect I will be the last man in history to do so. My friend Pippa worked for Alan Bond. She typed all of his notes. Not one word does she remember! She said he was the very best boss possible. He now has his hypersonic engine. I wrote to Alan hoping he would like to meet Pippa again. Alas the staff blocked it I suspect. No one would ever turn Pippa down. I would have had to go also. If anyone who reads this knows Alan she would love to say hello. His rockets circa 1960 were some of the best. Alas rejected as not very good for war. Ideal for space. Funny how no one saw that idea as possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.