Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first question, I'll name Laverdine. Their feeling is that feedback is good, and assuming your amp satisfies a list of criteria in open loop, it doesn't matter how much feedback you use. One of the criteria is that the amp's open loop full power bandwidth must be 30 kHz or more.

For the second, please re-read my original post, I was quite specific: up to 20 dB is low, up to 28 dB is medium, and above is much. This is, quite obviously, a very personal classification, no universal truth.

Thanks for quantifying the feedback numbers, wave's tap dancing was impressive to say the least .... :)

Rgardin slew rate, my feelings are paired.

One is that it has been accepted that if your slew rate is 0.5 V/uS per each PEAK volt of output power, you should not have problems with that aspect. That would mean, for example, 20 V/uS for a nominally 100W/8 Ohms amplifier.

My personal feeling is that I am far happier with double that, I don't like to just get by, I prefer a nice safety margin. But that's just me.

The other is that we talk of VOLTAGE slew rates, but hardly anybody even mentions CURRENT slew rates, expressed a xx A/uS. What use is an amplifier which can do say 200 V/uS, but only say 5 A/uS, when driving difficult load speakers?

To be fair to the industry at large, capacitor manufacturers consistently fail to declare their products in both of those factors. In my life, I have seen only one manufacturer who did it by the book, that was Siemens regarding their Sikorel range; they stated a speed of 100 V/uS and 10 A /uS.

The point being that if you have electronics capable of 200 V/uS, but capacitors which can do say 40 V/uS, your EFFECTIVE overall slew rate is just 40 V/uS.

So how do we get wild figures like 300 V/uS and such like? We get them because a long time ago, manufacturers decided that the input stage was the determinant - if it can slew fast anough, all our problems are solved. Which is obviously not so, but it looks much better on paper when you use a dual FET, cascoded by some fast trannies, and with a current mirror, and voila! you have the magic numbers. This was started in the late 70ies by Japanese manufacturers, notably Sansui and Kenwood. They even had papers published by the AES on the subject, look it up.

This is, as I see it, diddling the specs, thus giving them even less credibility in real life.

But, there's more. Ever wondered how come an amp with a THD spec of say 0.001% actually sounds worse than another amp rated at say 0.05%? On the surface of it, this is illogical.

But it isn't. What they tell you is what the amp's AVERAGE THD is and they do so by measring it over say 1 hour of steady state state test signal, so as to include the period when it's cold upon switch on and the time it heats up to its normal temperature, when THD will be naturally somewhat lower.

Now, here comes a transient, which causes one of the above example amps, the one with a rating of 0.001%, to pass it on through, but with a THD figure of say 3%. Because the impulse is short, say 100 mS or less, this excursion is buried in the averaging process, but you cannot hide it from human ears. We may not know exactly what's going on, but we can hear that the transient is not what is should be. Whereas if the other amp should happen to pass it on just fine, we will notice by lack of irritation, or even as a more lively sound.

Which is why I declare all my amps with an OVERALL (input to output) slew rate, and of course, have much less impressive figures to read, but much better figures to listen to. And I repeat the process with 8, 6, 4 and 2 Ohm loads, because I have no idea what will eventually be connected as its operating load. I think a realistic figure of smaller absolute value, but applicable under all nominal operating conditions, is a better deal than a more or less theoretical case of a pure lab 8 Ohm resistor. It's certainly more fair.

Just as I give more moderate THD specs than the industry at large, because I give them for PEAK distortion, not average.

Please understand, this not a "hooray for me" post, I'm simply trying to grasp more fully why specifications do a poor job of describing a product's actual, real world performance. Why we have an amp which has out of this world specs on paper, yet a bland sound in situ. God knows I have had that experience many a time, and I have no doubt you have as well.

One more thing. Over the decades, I have had to replace quite a few capacitors. My experience has taught me that when I replace highly regarded caps from Japan by less well known caps from Germany, e.g. Fisher & Tausche, I invariably get better to much better bass, and I get more life from the device. So, in the end, I started to seriously experiment with this, and to cut a long story short, it was confirmed literally EACH AND EVERY time. I realize it's not polite to generalize, but I cannot avoid it, after so many times of confirming it. The only caveat in that is that I have not tried every cap by every manufacturer, just those built in by the manufacturers themselves, which is mostly ELNA and and some Nichicon.

A short test of the amp's reaction to 2 Ohm loads showed a much better response from F&T caps than from Japanese caps. Now, where does this take you? Perhaps to the subject of current slew rate?

The joke is that I have loudspeakers (locally made as per some of my ideas) which are, to the best of my knowledege, the cleanest and most easy to drive dynamic speakers ever. Nominal impedance is 8 Ohms, minimum 6.5 Ohms, worst case phase shift -25 degrees, efficiency 92 dB/2.83V/1m, 3 way speaker, all drivers by Son Audax. Which means that even the most lowly of amps will drive them with ease, as well every tube SET ever connected to it. But not everybody is that lucky.

Bam ... :cheers: Give the man a drink, we are back on topic ..............:)

DVV , interesting comments , where are you seeing the biggest improvements with the caps, PSU...?

Анатолиј, it was a good try, although the original should be made with sliwowitz, plum brandy, preferably domestic rather than industrial. But I noticed you said you are not fond of strong stuff, and I can undersatnd since I am the same. Beer and cider are as far as I will venture, my subsistence being guaranteed by milk and milk products

Err, ahhhh, Wave's a strange cat ...:)

He's From Siberia , but is afraid of the cold, part Ruskian and don't drink vodka, into tubes but only has SS ..:D

Ohh, he's a great tap dancer ............... :rofl::rofl:...... :up:

Just out of interest (and on the theme of this thread), has anyone here ever learned to doubt their own 'hearing' i.e. clearly 'heard' something that they later found to be false? For example, I once 'heard' a very clear difference when comparing two digital sources using headphones, switching between them with the source button on an amplifier. I then found that my headphones were directly plugged into the headphone socket of one of them - not the amplifier...

It's a shame really. If it hadn't been for that incident, I might also have gone through life believing that I had Golden Ears, too.

Copper , No ...:rolleyes:

I have to ask , do you work alone ? is there anyone else you trust when evaluating, if so how did you come to the conclusion you had golden ears before this revelation ...

Or that, we being human, it varies from time to time.

Before or after ingestion ...?..............:)

Regarding Golden Ears, my girlfriend has the best ears I know when it comes to low level sounds, very high frequencies (>16 kHz) or following a conversation across the room filled with 100+ people. It's almost scary what she can hear. She definitely has the better sensors. But even after 8 years being exposed to high end audio, when it comes to judging sound quality she is completely useless. She simply does not care, and the same goes for 90% of the people I know. They are all perfectly happy with the performance of their cheap surround sets that make me want to leave the room.

I know the first time when I went to a live classical concert 25 years ago I got tears in my eyes the very first second, and that was when they were still voicing their instruments. To some people sound quality does matter.

So when it comes to golden ears I suspect it's a combination of interrest and experience.

Agree..........

By popular request, I have placed this article online here:

Linear Audio | Online Resources

(2nd article down).

Opinionated perhaps, but Bruno is one who shores up his opinions with facts and figures. If someone would not agree on something with Bruno, he would have to show the flaw in his reasoning or his facts and figures. So far, no callers ;)

jan didden

Jan,

Thanks for the link , interesting comments ......

"From the viewpoint of distortion, there is no difference
whatsoever between one macho feedback loop and local feedback with a simpler global loop around it. Designers who propose to use “mostly local feedback and only a little global feedback” are labouring under an illusion. It makes no difference. Whether you choose to use a nested loop or global feedback depends on other practicalities but has no bearing at all on actual audio performance."

Comments anyone ....?

Well, the 2N2222A'a by ST I got from Mouser measured hFE as about 190 where the On-Semi were 18 at 1mA. Very close to the original Motorola in the amp. Minimum spec is 50. I can use these!

"Regarding Golden Ears, my girlfriend has the best ears I know when it comes to low level sounds, very high frequencies (>16 kHz) or following a conversation across the room filled with 100+ people. It's almost scary what she can hear."
Not to worry. No relevance to measuring distortion. That's a girl thing. You will come to understand after you have been married for 35 years or so. Fair warning!

By popular request, I have placed this article online here:

Linear Audio | Online Resources

(2nd article down).

Opinionated perhaps, but Bruno is one who shores up his opinions with facts and figures. If someone would not agree on something with Bruno, he would have to show the flaw in his reasoning or his facts and figures. So far, no callers ;)

jan didden

Well done with this text! It's been YEARS since I saw a text so clearly written, and oh so true!

Well , this should get their juices flowing .... :)

"There are only advantages and no disadvantages to applying stratospheric amounts of negative feedback in an amplifier. The only hard part is figuring out how to do it. The more feedback, the better it sounds provided that it’s never less than 30dB at any audio frequency."

:Olympic:

@A.Wayne

I am hard pressed for an answer. I am tempted to say "everything matters", because it really is so.

But, if I had to choose, thw three most siignificant factors, in order of relevance, would be:

1. The power supply, its construction and quality,
2. The output stage, and
3. The driver stage.

Ad 1. Power is to amps like blood is to us. You can't ask a heart patient to run a marathon. If you want good sound, you have to make sure the amp is being fed with clean power and sufficient energy, while keeping a good ebergy reserve. We need those Joules badly.

Ad 2. I am NOT advocating rows upon rows of output devices, but I am saying that getting 100W/8 Ohms will take more than one pair of trannies (as im Onkyo 282 power amp). Some simple maths will determine how many, use the derating curve from the data sheet and compare that with your design goals.

I am heavily in the True Voltage Source trip, so I don't cut corners, since my 100W/8 Ohms also means 200/400W into 4/2 Ohms STEADY SТАТЕ (although the heat sinks will give way soon enough), at which time I will need to have those trannies working at no more than about 50% of their actual, real world capability if I don't want excessive distortion, so at 956 Watts of EFFECTIVE power at 65 degrees centigrade, 3 pairs of Motorola/ON Semi TO-3 MJ 21195/21196 will do the job just right.

Ad 3. I use a triple stage, meaning predriver -> driver -> output stage. Predriver is not critical if it is used properly, but the drivers stage I find is all too often being "saved" on.
While a single 50W trannie will do the job, TWO 50W trannies witl do an even better job, the lower the impedance of the speaker, the better.

Anyway, many years ago, I discovered that two parallel 50W trannies will do the same job better than a single 100W trannie.

Well , this should get their juices flowing .... :)

"There are only advantages and no disadvantages to applying stratospheric amounts of negative feedback in an amplifier. The only hard part is figuring out how to do it. The more feedback, the better it sounds provided that it’s never less than 30dB at any audio frequency."

:Olympic:

My "magic number" is 26 dB; I find this to be well neigh perfect.

@A.Wayne

I am hard pressed for an answer. I am tempted to say "everything matters", because it really is so.

But, if I had to choose, thw three most siignificant factors, in order of relevance, would be:

2. The output stage, and
3. The driver stage.

Ad 1. Power is to amps like blood is to us. You can't ask a heart patient to run a marathon. If you want good sound, you have to make sure the amp is being fed with clean power and sufficient energy, while keeping a good ebergy reserve. We need those Joules badly.

Ad 2. I am NOT advocating rows upon rows of output devices, but I am saying that getting 100W/8 Ohms will take more than one pair of trannies (as im Onkyo 282 power amp). Some simple maths will determine how many, use the derating curve from the data sheet and compare that with your design goals.

I am heavily in the True Voltage Source trip, so I don't cut corners, since my 100W/8 Ohms also means 200/400W into 4/2 Ohms STEADY SТАТЕ (although the heat sinks will give way soon enough), at which time I will need to have those trannies working at no more than about 50% of their actual, real world capability if I don't want excessive distortion, so at 956 Watts of EFFECTIVE power at 65 degrees centigrade, 3 pairs of Motorola/ON Semi TO-3 MJ 21195/21196 will do the job just right.

Ad 3. I use a triple stage, meaning predriver -> driver -> output stage. Predriver is not critical if it is used properly, but the drivers stage I find is all too often being "saved" on.
While a single 50W trannie will do the job, TWO 50W trannies witl do an even better job, the lower the impedance of the speaker, the better.

Anyway, many years ago, I discovered that two parallel 50W trannies will do the same job better than a single 100W trannie.

OK ... I love true voltage amplfiers :) wouldn't run anything less and yes when running lowZ , a strong driver stage is essential..... :crazy:

Last edited:
@A.Wayne

2. The output stage, and
3. The driver stage.

Ad 1. Power is to amps like blood is to us. You can't ask a heart patient to run a marathon. If you want good sound, you have to make sure the amp is being fed with clean power and sufficient energy, while keeping a good ebergy reserve. We need those Joules badly..

DVV,

What about your cap comment and current slewing , were you talking about PSU caps , where are you seeing the biggest differences?

I too have found true voltage source amps to be the best performers, would'nt 3 prs be too small for SOA in your above illustration ...?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My "magic number" is 26 dB; I find this to be well neigh perfect.

From the context of the article, the 30dB should be read as 'minimum for reasonable performance', and it is negotiable. So your 26dB would fill that requirement reasonably.
But the crux of the statement is of course that he says that stratospheric amounts of feedback can only make it better, if only you knew how to do it.

jan didden

@a.wayne

No, 3 pairs is more than enough, however, please bear in mind I was VERY specific about WHICH three pairs.

Work it out yourself. Their derating number is 1.43W/degree centigrade above 25. Let's assume you adjusted your overheat procetion to come on at 65 deg, on the heat sink. Assume you have an L-bar holding the trannies so that you can avoid lengthy wiring. Since the L-bar will have loss of its own, let's further assume a 10 degree loss on the L-bar (actually less if you, like I, make it of pure copper, but most won't, so 10 degrees is a fair assumption), and finally, les add another 10 degrees for whatever reason, just to be on tha safe side. That's 85 degrees all told, or 65 degrees over the ambient 25.

65 x 1.43 = 92.5 Wazzs below rated maximu, which is 250 Watts. In this case, the actual, real world available power is (250 - 92.5) 157.5 Watts per trannie, or 945 Watts for the whole stage.

That is enough for a 2 Ohm load with a -65 degreed phase shift, which would require "only" 800 Watts. What more do you want?

And that's steady state.You don't listen to pure sine waves at full power, do you Wayne? You do, I sincerely hope, take care to accomodate those transients, which means that you will never ever drive the amp harder than -6 dB of its nominal power, and even that is shaving below the skin? If not, you must have a back yard full of very dead speakers ...

Your REAL problem in such cases are definitely not the transistors, it's the whole system of power supplies. To deliver 400 Watts into 2 Ohms with a phase shift of -65 degrees is really like running the amp at 800 Watts into 2 Ohms. That is approximately 80 Joules of energy per channel, and all that juice has to come from somewhere. That means hefty toroidal power transformers separate for each channel, that means two hefty full wave bridge rectifiers per channel, and about 33.000 uF per supply line, or 66.000 uF per channel, or 132.000 uF for a stereo amp.

But I do go further and put in a fully reagulated power supply; actually, two regulated power supplies per channel, since I run my voltage amplifiers from higher regulated loads, specifically +/- 55V for the voltage section, and +/- 48 V for the surrent gain section. This includes about +/-4 V volts reserve, in case the power line drops, I don't want the amp to even know about it.

This lets me use lower voltages for the current section, which in turn lets me use those trannies more to the left of their SOAR curves.

And since this is an ego trip (i.e. not commercial), I don't stick to the old system of having one power trannie voltage regulate for two audio power trannies, rather I use exactly the same number of the same power trannies in the regulator. In effect, this is like having two power amps made for each channel, and the cost begins to be felt. But if you want great sound, you don't save and you throw the standard vulgarized KISS principle out to the doggs, where it belongs.

The kind of project you do just once in your life. With plenty of options, so everybody can find their own version.

Not really, wayne.

THE John Curl? Of Parasound fame?

I was listening to your 100W or so model, now say 10 or 12 years old, the other day. I used a word then, one I have used less than 10 times in my life, and that is "impressive", the way it tackled my old but refurbished AR94 speakers (the good original series, later models were junk). Just kept serenely filling them up like it was no big deal, and those speakers drained many an amp to an inch before tears.

Unfortunately, but understandably, the owner refuses to part with it ... :fight:

From the context of the article, the 30dB should be read as 'minimum for reasonable performance', and it is negotiable. So your 26dB would fill that requirement reasonably.
But the crux of the statement is of course that he says that stratospheric amounts of feedback can only make it better, if only you knew how to do it.

jan didden

Perhaps so, but the question is why would you?

If you disconnect the NFB loop, feed your amp 1/20 th of its nominal signal at the input, and it remains stable up to say 80 kHz with no obvious anomalies, why would you want to apply more than 26 dB of NFB?

To be fair, my wife's Harman/Kardon HK 680 integrated amp, delivering 85/130 W into 8/4 Ohms, and using just 12 dB of overall NFB, plays some good sounds in her JBL Ti 600 floorstanders. And, being curious as I am, and testing it on the bench, I discovered it will pump out as much as 490 Watts into 1 Ohm (t=40 mS) and still remain completely stable, with some modest overshoot.

This just reiterates my initial question - why would you NEED more global NFB?

I think NFB is very alike to bias current. If you have an amp designed for class AB operation, you can usually raise its bias level. I have tried with several integrated amps and found that not a single one of them will sound better once you get to about 130 mA per output device. I think NFB is like that, there is a point after which you can pile it on but with no audible result to speak of.

After all, you do design for it, or you don't. If your gain levels are set to a certain point, adding more that its share will simply make the amp require more and more input signal for nominal power.

How do you know if you have reached a good individual stage gain point? Theoretically, we could now launch a big discussion, but empirically, it's easy to identify - once your amp is completely stable with no global NFB even way out of the audible range, like say at 50 kHz and above, you must be doing something right. :cheers:

Last edited:
"From the viewpoint of distortion, there is no difference
whatsoever between one macho feedback loop and local feedback with a simpler global loop around it. Designers who propose to use “mostly local feedback and only a little global feedback” are labouring under an illusion. It makes no difference. Whether you choose to use a nested loop or global feedback depends on other practicalities but has no bearing at all on actual audio performance."

Comments anyone ....?

He forgot to mention which exact "performance" he measures: "has no bearing at all on actual audio performance".

Remember my example?

No straight answer. All depends on design. But I can't remember any design where I relied on a single feedback loop to cure "all illnesses".

Here is an example: fast opamp, with own loop of AC feedback (resistor and cap in series). The opamp drives 2-stage class A amp with amplification factor of 8 defined by own feedbcak. One more loop goes from output of this amp to input of opamp. This class A amp drives both speaker through resistor, and class C complementary voltage follower. The follower drives speaker, in parallel with class A amp. From speaker output I have one more loop, to the same input of opamp. As the result, we have at least 5 loops of feedback (except what we have inside of opamp), and when they are properly balanced we have smooth transfer function, low THD, high slew rate, low THD on all frequency range we are interested in, and nice transient response. Changing feedback ratio of any of that loops would lead to suboptimal results.

Actually, it was the same idea as Peter Walker patented in his famous Current Dumping patent. I did not know about him and his patent, so instead of working around slow opamp and power transistors implementing "The Bridge" like he did, I went differently, but the main idea is still the same: approximation of overall transfer function by summing 2 functions, adjusting summing result finally by additional feedback.

It would be interesting to see how The Author solved this problem without multiple feedback loops. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.