Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

BTW, eating oil is actually healhty, so long as it's olive oil.

Not just olive oil.
Key to Mediterranean life style is the richness of the soil and hence the plants.
Olives contain omega 3,6 and 9, as do nuts.
Minerals from mushrooms, wine etc.
Add the customary use of health enhancing herbs like garlic, thyme, sage, rosemary, and so forth.
Highest life expectancy is actually in the Pyrenees. Forgot why really...
A herb that may be easily accessible to you is Tribulis Terristris which is quite common in Northern America as well.
You do know what watermelons can do for your sex life, do you?

Our food is often way too processed and not healthy at all.
I totally agree with Nigel on his soil theory. Not only does it stimulate the immune system it is also quite therapeutic.

There's still so much to be discovered.

Cheers, ;)

One thing I believe is that absolute involvement with something you make will transfer yourself into that machine. It survives your death as if children. For some these are the only children they will have. That's part of the same thing and I have no idea what it should be called. It is part of oneself given away . Some people even have ill health due to completing a life's work.
Nice one, Nigel. To have been a composer of some of the world's most glorious and revered music would be a magnificent heritage - compared with the nothingness of the rich snobs who sniff at a performance of one's work, and who become worthless dust the instance they depart ...

Immanuel Kant said "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.”
Immanuel Kant . Says it all about about Rene Descartes ! And food for thought here. “Enlightenment is man's release from his self-incurred tutelage. Tutelage is man's inability to make use of his understanding without direction from another. Self-incurred is this tutelage when its cause lies not in lack of reason but in lack of resolution and courage to use it without direction from another. Sapere aude! 'Have courage to use your own reason!'- that is the motto of enlightenment.”
Immanuel Kant, An Answer to the Question: What Is Enlightenment?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Children playing in soil boosts immunity. Almost no pathogens exist in the soil . The body reacts to the billions of bacteria in soil as if they were pathogens. This tunes up the immune system

Yes but only because soil is full of pathogens. And bacteria too are pathogens.
(as kids, when wounded during playing, we were placing mud or animal dung over open wounds).

I totally agree with Nigel on his soil theory. Not only does it stimulate the immune system it is also quite therapeutic.

There's still so much to be discovered.

Actually it’s not wise to recommend such practices, as sheer lack plays a role and the outcome may turn disastrous (e.g. what about if there is tetanus bacterium in the soil that comes in contact with a skin opening?).

That said, it is reported that since antiquity it was understood that some forms of fungi had anti-inflammatory and wound healing capabilities . (*)

Check out the Mediterranean basin, heart problems, digestion problems and excess weight are extremely rare, they define the low limits of the average.

What I find missing in the studies promoting Mediterranean diets based on the statistics over good health and long life of the locals, is the lack of mentioning the influence of the benign climatic conditions existing in this area of the world.
How can they screen out the effect the local climate has on the health of the locals (**) from the effect of their diet? Sun rays illumination for example changes the mood of people for the better and this alone has a beneficial effect on their health.

Excluding the “fast food” culture, in every place of the world, I wouldn’t discard local food tradition as less healthy compared to some other foreign place’s food tradition.
Local menus have been developed in conjunction with local climatic conditions and have been checked for ages as balanced and healthy for that area of the world.

such as prosicuto (sp?),

Prosciutto (crudo) in Italy, presunto in Portugal, jamon in Spain.
Mmmm!!!

George
(*) See Dioscouridis: “De Materia Medica” 11. FREE DOWNLOADS [entire book] pdf files [not for resale] & ILLUSTRATIONS

(**) See Hippocrates “On Airs, Waters and Places” https://archive.org/details/genuineworksofhi00tran

Last edited:
What I find missing in the studies promoting Mediterranean diets based on the statistics over good health and long life of the locals, is the lack of mentioning the influence of the benign climatic conditions existing in this area of the world.

How can they screen out the effect the local climate has on the health of the locals (**) from the effect of their diet? Sun rays illumination for example changes the mood of people for the better and this alone has a beneficial effect on their health. ...

I agree, George. The climate in Greece is kinda different to the climate in say Sweden.

Ultimately, the ingredients for a Mediterranean diet also need Mediterranean climate to grow. Fortunately, Greek "Minerva" olive oil is available all year round right across the street where I live.

Excluding the “fast food” culture, in every place of the world, I wouldn’t discard local food tradition as less healthy compared to some other foreign place’s food tradition.

Local menus have been developed in conjunction with local climatic conditions and have been checked for ages as balanced and healthy for that area of the world.

Prosciutto (crudo) in Italy, presunto in Portugal, jamon in Spain.
Mmmm!!!

George
(*) See Dioscouridis: “De Materia Medica” 11. FREE DOWNLOADS [entire book] pdf files [not for resale] & ILLUSTRATIONS

(**) See Hippocrates “On Airs, Waters and Places” https://archive.org/details/genuineworksofhi00tran

Not always so, George. For example, Serbian cuisine, no matter how tasty it may be, does have some very unhealthy practices in some of its meals.

This is slighly alleviated by the fact that what is tough on the stomach is usually reserved for winter food. Remember, Serbia is located almost exactly across the nominal separation line between a Mediterranean and a classic Continental climate. Thus, our summers are usually hotter than Greece because we have no sea to keep it in check, and our winters are almost always much colder than Greece, again, no sea to moderate. Normal summer temperatures in Belgrade are arund 36 deg, C, with peaks of 43 deg. C on a day or two, while winter temps are commonly -5...-10 deg C. An amplitude of 50+ degrees.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Actually it’s not wise to recommend such practices, as sheer lack plays a role and the outcome may turn disastrous (e.g. what about if there is tetanus bacterium in the soil that comes in contact with a skin opening?).

Fair enough.
I should have added; provided one is vaccinated against tetanus etc.
Still, I suppose you catch the general idea.

Lots of herbs have anti-septic properties as well along with a raft of other qualities.

Cheers, ;)

Yes, in Newfoundland for most of the year "fresh vegetables" means turnip that isn't too soft yet. Of course they also have local delicacies that they presrve for winter use, like bakeapples (not apples, but berries, aka cloudberry Bakeapple - The Dark Tickle Company).

Immanuel Kant said "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.”
Immanuel Kant . Says it all about about Rene Descartes ! And food for thought here. “Enlightenment is man's release from his self-incurred tutelage. Tutelage is man's inability to make use of his understanding without direction from another. Self-incurred is this tutelage when its cause lies not in lack of reason but in lack of resolution and courage to use it without direction from another. Sapere aude! 'Have courage to use your own reason!'- that is the motto of enlightenment.”
Immanuel Kant, An Answer to the Question: What Is Enlightenment?

My brother knew animal rights people. Some where very dangerous people. I begged him to stop joining in. IRA is no exaggeration. I have been a farmer and would never see any animal suffer. Doesn't mean I am a vegetarian.

Dejan . Colleen is a lovely person and loves dogs which proves it can be done. We met Randy the Border Collie yesterday. He fixed his eyes on Layla Colleen's Labrador. We had to go across which slightly threw Randy into a quandary. The weird thing is I have only ever seen the intensity of his look when Wolves!

Not surprised, Nige.

People confuse the word "sheep" dog with mellow and easy, and in reality, most sheep dogs are fierce. They have to be, to protect the flock from wolves and such like. If they know you, you won't have a problem with them, maynot cuddle up, but it will not be unfriendly, but if they don't know you, you might just run into trouble with them.

No boutique dogs, to be sure. Serious dogs.

A friend from the countryside owns some sheep and a dog, mixed breed. He accepted me only after we went through the ritual of shaking hands and hugging rather obviously and theatrically, he suggested it. Until then, the dog kept its distance, but never took his hunting eyes off me. After that, he came over and had his ritual of meeting, since then, no problem, he always runs to me, he knows there's a doggie biscuit in it for him. My friend says he doesn't accept anything from anyone but me (and him, of course). He swears it's because the dog sees our hugging as playing, which then makes us very close and trusted friends.

It fascinates me how they transfer trust on basis of visual signs without fail. They just don't go wrong, period.

My Grandfather was a Shepherd ( Vet, Thatcher, Farmer, Ornithologist ). None of the dogs slept in the house except one. A Labrador that had defended the sheep. Two German Shepard's attacked the sheep. The Labrador fought both to the death. He separated the two dogs and took them on one at a time. That would surprise people that a Labrador can do that. Colleens Labrador Layla is a gentle dog. I doubt she would ever allow anyone to hurt Colleen. Grandfathers Labrador was an invalid after the fight.

In WW1 the name of German Shepard's was changed to Alsatian as people had attacked the dogs for the loose association with Germany. Only in the last 15 years did I hear the name change back. The Belgian Shepard is a nice dog. The two German Shepard's Cindy and Bruno I have looked after have been wonderful dogs.

Every Labrador and first cousing Golden Retriever I have ever met had a sweet disposition, at least towards me. A neighbour on the 3rd floor has a Lab, Winnie, whom I have knows since he was a pup 6 years ago. That dog literally peed himself (and me sometimes) when we met on occasion. Impossible not to love him. He's a good part of the reason why I always have a doggie cookie or two in my shoulder bag.

Alsationas I am too fond of. Somehow, they seem lethargic and disinterested to me. Not enough joy in them.

The winning trait of dogs in general is their absolute fidelity. If they love you, they will die for you. But to get that, you do have to put in some effort too. I am appaled by people who beat their dogs, or any other animal for that matter. There's no need for it, if you half try to understand the animals.

Back in the UK in the late 60, at school, we had our own stables, We also had a mare nobody dared to ride, because she had a reputation of a foul temper and was not above biting her rider. A girl, Janet, working as the stable hand, taught me the proper way of introducing myself to a horse. I stuck with it and introduced myself to the said mare. Thereafter, for two years, I rode her with never a problem, I just made sure I had a sugar cube with me when heaing for the stables. Her only quirk was that she liked to put her head across my right shoulder and be patted and stroked.

Goes well with my theory that the essence of life is that everything that moves on its own just wants to be loved.

There is a concept that the universe only works because at a certain level everything is done with total understanding, and co-operation - the most vicious, barbaric war crimes, criminality, etc, are commited as a play, so to speak, with full agreement between all participants as to what will occur ...

Status
Not open for further replies.