Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

My ex father in law was a pharmacist. As he pointed out that 60% still is of the Snake oil origin. Aspirin is a derivative of Heroine and not the Willow tree as thought by some. None the less it is connected and is respected. Aspirin is now a wonder drug. In the UK is it not a brand name as it was a WW1 reparation. Latest thought is 75 mg a day might prevent bowel cancer. I bet if you said that 20 years ago the laughter would be heard miles away.

I was listening to a BBC Radio 4 program. The guy was getting fed up with people criticizing various authors. He said " I have been around the world and have seen many statues to authors. I am yet to see one for a critic".

My point is what is the value of being a cynic?

As to it only being a connector that should be the question. No connector if possible. Preamps were only sold as a way of using a processional power amps at home. Quad might typically sell 70 % power amps to 30 % preamps in the 1960's. It should be that an integrated amp is better. As it is the poor relation in the male jewelry stakes it is rejected. There are other reasons why a preamp might be better. The interconnect is not one of them.

It should be obvious to everyone that a cable made up asymmetrically (e.g. with the shield grounded at one end only) may show 'directionality'. It ought to be equally obvious to everyone that a symmetric cable cannot show directionality. If there is a change in characteristics along the cable (e.g. conductor size, insulator permittivity) then the lack of symmetry may show some effect at a sufficiently high frequency that the cable length is significant with respect to the wavelength i.e. RF, not audio. Note that unless deliberate such a cable should be regarded as faulty. Same for a cable which includes a diode - but that would not be directional for AC, merely distorting.

Therefore any reports of cable directionality at audio frequencies are either false, or based on some accidental or deliberate asymmetry (almost certainly in the connectors, not the bare cable).

What would you need to make a genuine 'directional' audio cable? You would need to use materials (conductors and/or insulators) whose properties are affected by both (very small) electric and magnetic fields. Only in this way could you sense the direction of the signal, which is a prerequisite to directionality. As far as I am aware nobody makes audio cables like this. However, I suppose it is possible that some esoteric materials used in some 'audiophile' cables may be sufficiently inappropriate for the task that directionality could be accidentally introduced. This must be regarded as a fault in design or manufacture.

It is not possible to make a perfectly symmetrical anything if you examine it closely enough. The real question at hand is can these asymmetries be perceived in a sound system. That is not an issue of physics.

Directivity of cables ought to show up as assymetric distortion of AC signals, so it shouldn't be too difficult to prove it exists, if it would, but it doesn't with the equipment presently available.

In other words, untill the state of the art of equipment connected by cables improves to the point where we can see this distortion, I for one will be chill with what we have.

A reasonable approach. However the cable distortion at -130 re 10mV is below what most analyzers are capable of resolving. Of course if there really is an issue with using non-magic copper then the analyzers will have to be built with magic silver or magic copper before they can show the distortion.

It is not possible to make a perfectly symmetrical anything if you examine it closely enough.
Hello Ed.
I find it is well worthwhile to attempt perfect symmetry.
The real question at hand is can these asymmetries be perceived in a sound system.

They can.
These very low level asymmetries add a 'wrongness' to the overall sound.
Depth information is curtailed, absolute polarity is less distinct, bass wrong, mids hardness, false sheen on high cymbals and sibilants.
Subtle, but the effect is there...once heard, not forgotten.
Can elaborate via PM.

Dan.

Last edited:
Really low level, subtle stuff, due to wire/cable asymmetry/directivity.
Makes or breaks the sound of a system.
Wire asymmetry/directivity can add an 'excitement' to the sound...false excitement.
Make connections non directive, and correct sound just pops into place (into the air).

Dan.

Last edited:
If the conductors in a balanced cable do not have the came impedance in relationship to GND then they are not balanced. I have read the Beldon paper regarding drain wires, simple solution don't use a cable with a drain wire, they were used for cables with crappy screens anyway to reduce the resistance without having to spend loads on adding a proper screen, again why use something that is not up to the job if it is going to affect the signal integrity. I would be interested in how much of an affect this had at audio frequencies....

I would be interested in how much of an affect this had at audio frequencies....

Don't forget folks that copper and most pure metals have a 3000ppm/degree TC so before you try to extract data at the -120dB level you better be prepared to keep the environment stationary to the .0003 C level. :) I wonder how long after handling the cable gets back to the same temperature.

I do not understand why is it so improtant to some that Otala be wrong.

Read my sig, the wide open-loop BW idea is still taken as gospel to the point that one very successful high end designer takes an amplifier with huge BW and slewrate and claims simply resistively loading the VAS to kill the gain and raise the apparent open-loop BW has great benefit.

My point has always been that this idea is wrong, and teaching it to folks that come to learn some basic engineering is a bad idea. Same goes for the sound of feedback.

Before I forget I remain surprised at how rarely the high quiescent bias in the output stage of the O/L amplifier is credited. This was a large departure from the practice of the day and considering the impact on reducing crossover distortion IMO had as much or more to do with the sound.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.