Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think you exaggerate a bit. :)

Silver plated copper (or all silver) is suggested and used for RF coils at the tens MHz and up. Bellow that, copper litz.
What was the comm. channels for the panzers?

Mostly below 10MHz (1-3MHz) for command comms
Mw.E.c, Radio Receiver, German WWII, WW2

Up to 50 Mhz for comms with infantry, artillery, aircrafts
LA6NCA, WW2, GERMAN, FUG10
LA6NCA, WW2, GERMAN, PANZER RADIO, 10W.S.c
Mw.E.c, Radio Receiver, German WWII, WW2

You can see some all silver coils inside these receivers (Mr. Curl will enjoy the cast chassis)
I would guess then silver plated for VHF antenna cabling outside the TX/TR boxes.

No George, I do not exaggerate, I was present when one of them was being opened up.

I don't know what the books say, but I know what I saw and got a piece of. I cannot vouch that each and every one was made the same way, after all, it was wartime and silver was not easy to get, especially in the later stages of the war.

Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

So, when I bought it, the cable was of Chines Oriental origins. I listen to a lot of classic music, so later it turned into a Caucassian. After I hit hip-hop, it became a Negro.

1/ A cable (as in an interconnect cable) can be directional due to the way it is constructed.

2/ A wire can be directional due to the way it is drawn.

In case 1/ It depends on which end the screen or shielding wires are attached.

In case 2/ there is a slight audible difference when a cable is manufactured with send end one way and the return the other.

1/ Is obvious and 2/ Is so small a difference that you can safely ignore it.

How do I know?
Because I worked as a consultant/designer for a cable manufacturer using wire from one of the largest in the industry based in Trenton NJ USA and had the back up from local university research departments in Belgium.

Does anything mentioned in two really matter to your audio system?
No, if only for the simple reason that you don't have a clue which way the wire was drawn once you receive it even if you'd order entire spools of it and, more importantly, while the difference is real, it is so small that it is totally negligible even for the most revealing of systems.

Not that it stopped, to coin SY, the "hucksters" from exploiting it and that is the only reason why I mention it.
For, and let's not forget this fact, quite a number of these peddlers hold (or claim to hold) degrees in physics and electronics that stretch from engineer to doctor in so and so.

At the end of the day all that really matters is music. Not how faithfully it is reproduced but how much you can enjoy it.

Cheers, ;)

Hi,

Yes, I can try. It is not unlike using a more refined lens on a camera.
Better defined focal image is what comes to mind.
To put it in your own language, a tiny bit more of that so illusive "correctness" perhaps ?

Cheers, ;)
Or, that it does a little bit less damage to the original signal, :). I see the whole exercise, as I've mentioned a couple of times, as getting enough points of quality, say 100, happening of the system working as a totality. More than 100 is certainly possible, but 100 is the "magic" number required - and every defect subtracts a few points; if the total drops below 100 then you're in trouble, there will be an "offness", an edge to the sound, which means your hearing can't relax and just go with the sound.

And how one gets to 100 can be via an infinity of routes: an incredibly good, "forgiving" speaker with a reasonable amplifying chain, or a so-so speaker with preceding electronics optimised to an inch of their lives, or a remarkably simple, minimalist configuration - there is no one answer, definitely!

It's all about reaching that "magic" number of 100, that's how I see it ...

Which one Scott? I have most of them.

Just for you, the Vs and Vd are bootstrapped to the same as the Vg. There is a tweek to eliminate even the left over external parasitics not shown here. Of course
I built and tested it where do you think the 82uH came from. :D

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 123
Similar technique was used in B&K mike preamps like the 2619 back in the '60's.

Never claimed otherwise if you read the preface to my article, I don't obsess about the prior use issue as some do (as if I invented bootstrapping). Just something that works that anyone can build now. I listened today to the recordings we made in Ausin at SY's house, all this nattering about digital, etc. what a waste of time when we could just sit down and enjoy the music.

I listened today to the recordings we made in Ausin at SY's house, all this nattering about digital, etc. what a waste of time when we could just sit down and enjoy the music.
Ahh, but if it's not a "prime quality" recording can we do that? That's the key for me - to put on a "dodgy" recording, daggy bits hanging off the edges and all; and just go with the flow of the music making, not be irritated by "imperfections" that are part of, will always be part of the package ...

Status
Not open for further replies.