Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Granted, SY got the easier one :D)

Not easy, expensive. If you want to send me some, I'll gladly do the measurements.

I'll stick with "intimidating." Having to read a few dozen referenced papers to catch up to current understanding is not a trivial task, as I know from personal experience. If reading the literature is "irritating," then one needs to find a different endeavor.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Not easy, expensive. If you want to send me some, I'll gladly do the measurements.

Unfortunately I've not a single one left.
Expensive?
They're an absolute bargain as they not only outperform any EL84/6BQ5 but will also last several thousands of hours longer. (They're in the same league as the Cca I told you about years ago)
Accept you punishment, SY or live to regret it. :p:p

P.S. You did use ceramic sockets for the output stages?

I'll stick with "intimidating." Having to read a few dozen referenced papers to catch up to current understanding is not a trivial task, as I know from personal experience. If reading the literature is "irritating," then one needs to find a different endeavor.

That's not what I meant. Irritating in the way the communication came across putting oneself in ddv's shoes. IOW, more a matter of form than content.

Cheers, ;)

Last edited:
Expensive?
They're an absolute bargain as they not only outperform any EL84/6BQ5 but will also last several thousands of hours longer. (They're in the same league as the Cca I told you about years ago)
Accept you punishment, SY or live to regret it. :p:p

P.S. You did use ceramic sockets for the output stages?

Yes, I used ceramic. I have deep skepticism about PTFE because of the lousy mechanical properties.

$400 per set of tubes is not within my budget. Don't know about lifetime, but the JJs I have in there now have been running for over 4 years and are still strong.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Yes, I used ceramic. I have deep skepticism about PTFE because of the lousy mechanical properties.

Never had a problem with the B9A skirted ones I used. Admittedly these were military grade of the best imaginable quality.
The reason I mentioned the ceramic is heat. The EL84 can easily reach 120degrees C at the bottom of the glass envelope. (Une petite tache de beaute)

$400 per set of tubes is not within my budget.

4 x 60$ + shipping is what I found and those are the real thing. NOS OB.
I've measured thousands of them. They're all the same.

Guess you don't like to be punished then....:D

O.K., so much for my little diversion...:blush:

Cheers, ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

So $300 all in. To replace tubes that are already working fine. I suspect my limited budget will be allocated elsewhere.

I still feel it should go to the red light district though...:p:D
Seriously, it is well worth the investment and the JJ aren't lost in the process (although I doubt you'll ever put them back in) anyhow.

Back in the late Eighties these would go for about 30 to 40 $ each. Think about it.
Moreover, they're both sonically and measurably way, way above the pack.

120°C will not bother PTFE.

True. All that other cheap stuff may fry though.

Cheers, ;)

As is well-known here, I'm always happy to help people set up good ears-only tests, both through my explanatory article in Linear Audio and through helping with the design of specific experiments. The "too difficult" excuse is not a compelling reason to accept extraordinary assertions made without evidence. The willingness to do the work to perform actual experiments is what separates the gasbags from the truly open-minded.
Unfortunately, you're not willing to accept or acknowledge that some of the tools that are routinely suggested to be used are deficient, or poorly implemented - hence my repeated comment about laziness amongst the objectivists. Further, many of the scenarios that supposedly require A, B comparisons are impossible, or would be diabolically complicated to set up - hence will never be done.

Edit: I have to laugh when I do look at some of the literature in the field - for example, anything to do with distortion is extremely thin on the ground, and points back to research 60, 70 years ago! If the auto industry was to base current thinking on how they built cars in the '40s and '50s ... :)

Last edited:
SY, you are the God of Strawmen here.

You NEVER EVER give any specifics, you just ponitficate. Any statement contrary to your beliefs which you have no answer to is immediately labelled as a strawman argument.

That's all I will ever have to say to you, as of now, you are No.1 on my ignore list. You offer nothing, you have nothing to give. Your short clips are simply empty and devoid of any thought you might share because there is no thought in them, just snide remarks not worth anyone's care except a few dummy disciples people like you always somehow manage to find.

Strongly agreed. Too bad, though.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Trouble is, which other ones to look at?!

As far as the English speaking part of the globe is concerned this forum is AFAIK, the best there is.

I do feel however that the "Lounge" area should be a place where people can exchange their opinions/experiences freely.
That is, within the context of the forum rules.
Whether what is said is or is not technically correct bears little relevance initially as this is mostly sorted out automatically by fellow members anyway.

Just like some others though, I just hate it when those who think they know it all jump on every occasion to criticize. Especially so when it is non-constructive bashing which is all too common lately.

We all have our opinions and convictions, some turn out to be wrong others turn out to be right. That's how we evolve and learn.
Not every contributing member has a fully equipped lab at his disposition either.
Besides that, as they say in my trade, a computer is only as smart as the person sitting in front of it....

So, to me at least, measurements are one thing, listening is quite another. Both can and should go hand in hand but at the end of the day it is you who should enjoy the listening experience not the measuring lab.

Cheers, ;)

SY, you are the God of Strawmen here.

You NEVER EVER give any specifics, you just ponitficate. Any statement contrary to your beliefs which you have no answer to is immediately labelled as a strawman argument.

That's all I will ever have to say to you, as of now, you are No.1 on my ignore list. You offer nothing, you have nothing to give. Your short clips are simply empty and devoid of any thought you might share because there is no thought in them, just snide remarks not worth anyone's care except a few dummy disciples people like you always somehow manage to find.

I just lost any respect for your opinion.

Basically there are two undercurrents: one that holds on to scientifically proven fact religiously waiting for the others to prove them wrong, the other one knows deep down that there's still a huge territory to be uncovered but lack the means to prove it.

Disappointing Frank that after all these years you can still reduce everything to these trivial generalizations. We have yet to get the two sides together for any kind of test at any level, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.