Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe i was more sensitive when i was young but the look of Hifi had a real peak in the 70th.
There are numerous other examples.

Attachments

• SL10_Upgrade_006.jpg
    SL10_Upgrade_006.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 128
  • meridian-audio-lecson-photo.jpg
    meridian-audio-lecson-photo.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 125
I do not hear Mc.Intosh amps often so i can not commend on the sound.
They are hugely popular though in germany maybe because of the looks.
That is the typical " i saw that as a student and now i can afford it " effect.
Maybe everybody has a child inside somewhere.
I had a HQD system. Double Quad 57, kelly ribbon without horn, Hartley bass.
That was an active system with Levinson crossover.
I think i crossed the bass active and the tweeters passive.
That is over 30years ago. Filtering the Quads in the bass makes them play louder.
I could not afford Levinson amps so i used Treshold. Had a Oracle turntable. That system looked the business.

I guess you should go back and get it ..... :D

That crossover looked really cool :MARK LEVINSON LNC-2L
The 10 gang potmeters mesmerized me.

I wonder if John was involved with this one ...... :scratch:

My friend Martina did say I get a sound from them which is not typical. The weird bit is bass a plenty and with bass detail that is hard to believe.

The best stacked 57's I heard was a Nasa scientists system his dad owned. It was driven by a Heath EL 84 amp. When asked to comment I said it was scary. Frank Sinatra not dead and a prisoner in the room. The source Denon top CD player and Garrard 301 with Schroeder arm. How 20 watts could do that I will never know.
Because bass "detail" is not about bass! It's because all the harmonics higher up are being rendered correctly, which has nothing to do with the panel flapping away in huge excursions, this is midrange information ...

Acoustic piano bass usually sounds pretty dull and lacking in audio systems, easy to hear even in YouTube clips of such - and it's because the harmonics structure is all messed up!

Good to hear that you managed to hear a system working properly, at that NASA guy's place ... :p !

+10

Look at stuff from the 70's , Really nicely done, who could forget ....:drool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw92J_2n2kM

OR

Ooooohhhh! The bottom one at the right, AU-7900, is still on my shopping list.

Circuitry as simple as it gets, but distributed very well. Nominally 50-70 WPC over the years, but it has a triple output stage, with twin output pairs per channel.

I haven't heard for like 30 years now, but I remember I was rather impressed with it at the time.

Why got modern life so expensive and where from did we get the resources in the old days to make something out of nothing ?
Well, i am not that old but i watch that trend.

Perhaps it's because they crossed over from looks to sculpturing. These days, a 5 cm thick front plate is way more important than how well it really works.

As I am sure you know, the price of CNC machines has dropped a lot, so it seems the deal today is let's see how much we can work on it, let's zap their eyes with some fancy carving.

Harking back, I still remember being impressed by Uher's SG 630 and ASC AS6000 open reel decks. Both were encased with simple but good quality plastic covers around the main aluminium frame, nicely rounded, and a joy to behold how they were organized inside. Neat and well thought out.

Your thoughts on old Wega 3xxx series of receivers, design wise? In my view, a total breakaway from the design norms of the day, but a damn good one, especially in the field or ergonomics. My neighbor used to have one, today his son still uses it, and it never once broke down 35 years later.

Nigel, that amp you made for Martina partly compensates the Maggies.
That amp sounds really " spritzig ".

I understand you and she made a pre amplifier for it ? That I must hear. Tell her that Jaguar needs to come see me sometime. Made my 401 would like to come visit me? I haven't heard from Martina recently.

Degan that is one of my as many components missing as possible amps. It has a very low distortion. Almost bomb proof also. Sort of Mosquito of amplifiers.

Joachim would it be too stupid of me to think it gives a Macintosh a fight? I don't mind either way.

Degan. It's your fault. I am strongly considering a move to Cider country in a years time. A railways to London that has existed since 1840is being relayed to do 160 kph average. House prices have risen. It is a chance for me to cash in. Somerset Dorset boarders near where Thomas Hardy's parents lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.