Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
That stage is of extremely low distortion.
Compared to the buffer Martina has it sounds very much more transparent and detailed and curiously much less sharp and vailed in the treble, especially with CD.
Voices sound as good as i heard, really full bodied and with less silbilance then before so it can not be the high bandwidth, it must be the lower distortion.
It's all so simple ... yet so few people "get it" ...

After you do not disclose your DAC what turntable are you using ?

Brax has asked the same question and has received answers at least 50 times now, it does not matter , this sonic trait is prevalent regardless of DAC used or amount of monies spent , its whats most noticeable when comparing the two and comparisons are done with panel not in isolation.

TT,

AR ES-1
Linn LP-12
VPI Classic
Thorens TD-124
Kenwood KD650

Phono stage: qty 4

Threshold Fet-9e
Threshold Fet-10
Custom Fet phono stage

You think i"m the only one with this opinion, you should get yourself a a good analog setup and THEN ASK YOURSELF The same ......
The trouble, a.wayne, is that you're confusing your experiences with what is - "I can't go to the moon, therefore it's impossible for anyone else to have been there" type of thinking.

From the sound of it the listening sessions have had equipment not properly sorted out - a Ferrari with a flat tyre is never going to impress ...

Attachments

• JC3.jpg
    JC3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
The trouble, a.wayne, is that you're confusing your experiences with what is - "I can't go to the moon, therefore it's impossible for anyone else to have been there" type of thinking.

From the sound of it the listening sessions have had equipment not properly sorted out - a Ferrari with a flat tyre is never going to impress ...

Take your meds PCfrank , your comprehension is way off, you are the one confused, that analogy is not even in the same solar system .... :rolleyes:

Yes, no question.
The least amount of hum and hiss.
I also took advantage of the floating input ( a tranformer plus moving coil is not ballanced,
that whould require a center tap. Anyone willing to make a cartridge with center tap ? ).
As i said in my design i use the transformer secondary in a ballanced shunt feedback loop.
So i have two RIAA components per side.
To avoid cancelation and optimize CMR i trim with teflon trimmers.
Martina sais that this stage gives the best result, especially with complex classic opera.
Les congestion for example on ancient Furtwänglers she loves so much.
It sounds as if there where less compression.
Big Choir with solo voice as an example.
What is also important is double mono design and floating supply.
Any disturbance on the ground or RF ingress in a no no.

Last edited:
that analogy is not even in the same solar system ...
Well, technically it is the same solar sytem ... :)

Your posts imply that people who have money to throw around, creating very blingy components, also understand what's crucial to high quality sound - my experience is otherwise, highly ornate devices are usually more a piece of jewellery, if that's your bag. The two, engineering and flash factor, sometimes come together, like in the best MBL - but no guarantees. And it doesn't flow through automatically to lower level components - the mid-range MBL I heard recently had very pedestrian sound, no cigar there ...

The point to emphasise, yet again, is that just throwing together expensive bits of kit, and getting 'miracle' sound is in the region of likelihood of a prize in the next lottery - most people doing it don't understand what's truly important - and hence fail ... yes, they'll get sound, even 'impressive' sound, but ... ...

Last edited:
Your posts imply that people who have money to throw around, creating very blingy components, also understand what's crucial to high quality sound - my experience is otherwise, highly ornate devices are usually more a piece of jewellery, if that's your bag. The two, engineering and flash factor, sometimes come together, like in the best MBL - but no guarantees. And it doesn't flow through automatically to lower level components - the mid-range MBL I heard recently had very pedestrian sound, no cigar there ...

The point to emphasise, yet again, is that just throwing together expensive bits of kit, and getting 'miracle' sound is in the region of likelihood of a prize in the next lottery - most people doing it don't understand what's truly important - and hence fail ... yes, they'll get sound, even 'impressive' sound, but ... ...

Really and you got this from ....:rolleyes:

You think i"m the only one with this opinion,

Classic deflection. No, I'm not of the view that you're the only one with the opinion you mentioned. Plenty of people use substandard DACs and blame the format rather than the equipment.

you should get yourself a a good analog setup and THEN ASK YOURSELF The same ......

Never going to happen - as even with a 'good analog setup' I'll need software to listen to. Even if I could find all the vinyl to replace my digital collection (seems highly doubtful) I'd not have the storage space.

The human ear is tollerant to anything.
That makes the subjective discussion so difficult.
On my last 500kM drive to Stuttgart i heard a Rainer Werner Fassbinder radio play in my VW car.
I totally forgot about the sound on the Autobahn with 140km pH.

You are aware those favoring analog have excellent CD playback while those favoring digital for the most part have no analog whatsoever...

Can you say Prejudicial bias with placebo gum gum ...:rolleyes:

Yes, the subjective is hard to objectify, ;) ... so tricks and techniques are quite necessary: the Art of Listening to audio needs to be cultivated - and part of that art is to listen as if you're listening to live sound - you ignore that it's supposed to sound like something - say, an audio system - and listen to it as if it is real ...

As an example, put on a solo piano piece - mentally, it is a piano ... ... hey! That's miles from a piano - oh dear, far too much distortion, more work to be done ...

And so it progresses ...

Well to be absolutely honest :
Very good digital gets me exited.
Vinyl gets me in a state of bliss sometimes though.
I also can sleep better after a session with vinyl.
Maybe that is just that i have grown up with FM radio, tape and vinyl.
Somehow my brain has learned to ingnore the deficiencies and appriciate the advantages.
Most of us analog designers are dinosauers anyway.
It will be a lost art in 50 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.