Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that he's got the sound to match remarkably well, in that video, on that system.
Went the next step: downloaded the video, stripped off visuals, exported as WAV - now a better handle on what was heard in the room ...

The chap did himself no favours by only having a 320p quality, in the spectrum the treble falls off the cliff after about 10kHz - so, AM radio bandwidth. Plus, the quality constantly varies through the clip, probably for a combination of reasons - the vinyl is worst in this regard, at times it's close to atrocious, then it lifts its game, and pulls ahead of CD slightly; the CD sounds like it's displaying the usual pattern of slowly getting worse the longer it plays. I would declare ... no winner ... :).

Wasn't looking for it, but this just popped up in my browsing wanderings: 6moons.com - industry features: Sydney's Super-Fi Show 2004 - was noting that Halcro was being resurrected, and looking for Bruce Candy mentions.

This was the show that got me back in the audio game, specifically the MBLs; the Basis TT and Halcro worked very well, but DCS plus Halcro was bad news, very dreary sound ...

Since this thread has a lot of off topic comments in it and very smart people, I hope my fleeting off topic is ok.

So I just tried a mild ADD medicine for the first time in my life yesterday.

It seems to be "working" in that I'm doing unusual things, like cleaning a lot and reading documents I usually never would.

Given that I can have attention at a task for 10 hours sometimes, like an internet forum or a videogame like playing Tetris, I thought it's not possible I have ADD, since that is a lot of attention, but maybe I've misunderstood how it works.

Anyone here have experience or feedback? Just a quick off topic, or just overlook my comment as some extra noise in the SNR ratio here. :)

Given that I can have attention at a task for 10 hours sometimes, like an internet forum or a videogame like playing Tetris, I thought it's not possible I have ADD, since that is a lot of attention, but maybe I've misunderstood how it works.
That's quite typical of having ADD, especially if you lose track of it having been 10 hours. Not concentrating on things that aren't fun or challenging is the problem :).

Anyone here have experience or feedback? Just a quick off topic, or just overlook my comment as some extra noise in the SNR ratio here. :)
Listening to music intently is just another form of self-medication. IME, breathing exercises and meditation (and rocking out) >>> meds.

That's quite typical of having ADD, especially if you lose track of it having been 10 hours. Not concentrating on things that aren't fun or challenging ///

Yes I can focus on a challenge for 15 hours if it's the right task, but listening to an audio book is really, really difficult, I pick up a few sentences here and there, but 90% of the text is a mystery to me. I can read books fine, however. Usually hours in a row, but rarely finish them, thick books usually get difficult around two thirds in.

Last edited:
Maybe people with ADD can not "pay attention" to the music and after 7 seconds of attention span start to wonder if the speakers are facing North, will that affect the polarity? :p
Distracting disturbances, like having an a.wayne somewhere in the neighbourhood, can also be a hindrance ... :)

If you have to "pay attention" to the music then that's actually a sign that the system is not 'right' - correct playback yields "effortless" listening. As an example, you have the volume right up, and someone walks into the room and mentions something completely unconnected with music, and you need to totally concentrate on that matter for a short while. For the majority of systems, the sound going at the same time will be close to impossible to deal with, you'll have to drop the volume right down - properly sorted out audio will not disturb your ability to switch focus completely off it, you won't have to adjust the level one iota ...

Fas42 just blind-fold someone already and drive them in a car for half an hour, sit them down in your listening room playing that Vivaldi piece then watch their bedazzlement and sh0ck as they pull off the blind-fold and notice they were not sitting in the sixth row at some divine cathedral.

Except, that will never happen to a normal person.

It might be amusing to present that as impossible, but it is the goal. Most people have experienced that to some degree, when listening to a particular system which happened to be in very close to ideal tune for a certain recording; the variation I present is merely to consider refining that capability so that it happens all the time, for whatever recording you choose to put on.

What's quite an interesting exercise at the moment is to refine the sound of this 20 year old synthesizer keyboard we have. The box has never been opened, I'm not going to touch a thing inside - but I can change the quality of how it sounds, dramatically, by how long and how much it's been working, but mostly by the type of external interference it's subject to. The sound varies from being like a cheapie from a discount store, right up to full blown, big sound, very convincing, even nearby. And that's only by adjusting two parameters - can't get much simpler than that!

Since this thread has a lot of off topic comments in it and very smart people, I hope my fleeting off topic is ok.

So I just tried a mild ADD medicine for the first time in my life yesterday.

It seems to be "working" in that I'm doing unusual things, like cleaning a lot and reading documents I usually never would.

----------------------------

Well, the fact that you are posting various psychiatric symptoms on a thread about DIY audio suggests that the medications are not working. That was blunt....

Maybe you should discuss this with someone who has the experience and background to help.
Best of luck. Maybe what you are seeking is elsewhere

Last edited:
Many years ago I heard of record warmers. It has a bit of logic to it as it would suit the material to be a little warmer. I have no experience so say out of curiosity. The irony is Australia was a good market for them. Hardly a cold country. Maybe too much air con?

If you have a turntable too close to power amps check the temperature. 18 to 25 C is ideal . Beyond that the sound will be too bright if cold and dull if too hot. 40 C is not unusual near a power amp. Some grey import PU's are 25 C spec, they will not sound too good at 20C. BTW, VTA and all alignment types make a big difference. I am hopeless (lazy) at it and get my friend Martina to do it.

Kastor . ADD is usually associated with Autism, most Autistic people of the Aspergers type have exceptional hearing ( Williams syndrome people also which has a chromosome anomaly to give a more obvious labeling of a person), My daughter for example is classified as Aspbergers. She has exceptional pitch differentiation ( tested by the University). In my opinion all people are deaf, blind, autistic to a greater or lesser extent. Albert Einstein is said to fit the Aspberger type. Alas this is not a science so only helpful to observe. All men are autistic, luck allows them to hid it in hobbies. Multitasking I guess is the opposite. That is a terrible generalization as I am both typically autistic in my ways and yet a great multitasker (by training and not nature). You see, that is not science. It was my kids being classed as Aspergers that made me realize it must include me. I suspect many at Oxford University also. I live there abouts so didn't realize the outside world had different people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

I have to me what is a wonderful quirk like ADD. I can remember most circuits for years after I saw them . Enough to say why not look again. I can not remember films. They are always new to me. OK if I watch 20 times I will remember (5 in truth). I think what I do is look at the sub plots on viewing No 2 . Then the filming details . Then the continuity errors. I truly think it is a gift not to remember ( or assume it ). My ex said many times " you've seen that film before so why watch it"? Oh bliss that I am not her , that's not a gender thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.