Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worse of this is I feel if I am not careful I perform as our team when at work. Difference is I have real passion. That seems to matter. What I don't know I find out. Usually by annoying people to say what I should know. You can know strategies and prepare as much as you like. If you have no passion it doesn't happen.

I have learned how to be a team player. In my case it is accurately seeing who is best. I am the boss and I have that luxury. I never put the work of the team across as my work. My work is to make the team. My boss thinks I source products. I don't , I source people.

France and Belgium also as Cidre . I suspect Mr Dvv you should be making Cider of Serbia. You would be rich and famous I think?

For fun my son made some from the cheapest supermarket apple juice and brewers yeast. It was very good and the alcohol was too much at 7.5 degrees proof ( 4.6 % alcohol by volume ). Proof was 100% when gun power could be ignited when Rum was tested. 70 proof is 43% absolute I think ?

We now sell 300% more than we make. Irish cider is very good. Like Herefordshire they get the rain.

I think I have had German cider and it was good.

Correction . 300 % more than we have apples for. I suspect some is processed from outside of the UK .

Last edited:
A Theory:

There is a 3rd aspect to electricity that has so far been missed. That aspect is the geometry or shape. An electrical signal has an electric field and a magnetic field. These field lines project out into 3D space and have a particular geometry. The nature of the geometry of these field lines will affect the performance of the circuit. If the geometry of these field lines is distorted then there will be a "clash" between the electric and magnetic field lines. There is a natural fit between the field lines that will enable the circuit to perform better. Oscilloscopes and spectrum analysers cannot give a full picture of what an electrical signal is. They tell you nothing about the geometry.
I know what causes distortion to the geometry of electrical signals. I also know how to restore a more natural geometry to the signal. By improving the geometry, computer systems can run faster; faster computational speeds. Also, electromechanical systems will perform more accurately. Audio systems will sound better. Current measurement techniques do not give an indication of the improvements that can be made.
--------------------------------
There you go! You can believe me or not. You can take the easy route and call me a fool!
One day, you will be able buy some of these devices and modules I made. A 30 day money back guarantee if you are not convinced. Or you can refuse to buy and refuse to try... up to you!

I read somewhere years ago that manufacturers adjust bias as per the lowest THD they can squeeze out of their ciruit.

I don't know if that is true, but I note that Japanese amps typically have a bias of 20-33 mA per device, while European product typically have 50-80 mA per device.

When you crank up the bias, the sound usually becomes warmer nad nicer (whatever that means), but you soon reach a point where this sweetness is paid for by resolution. More sweetness starts to become less focus.

In my book, just about every amp I had any dealings with would show no greater gain in sweetness above 120-130 mA per device. That's just fine if you have like 3 or 4 pairs of output devices, but with just one pair, that's not really very much.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
One of the arguments made about current dumping was that all these problems vanish when feed forward correction. Even the dumpers can be stupidly slow.

Friends who analyzed the Quad 405 say it's sound has nothing to do with it being current dumping . It is mostly the philosophy of the product that is should do well in the Pro Audio world. It is much loved as a workhorse.

Dr Ron Smith of Harwell had bothered to perfectly balance the bridge of his . He said distortion was remarkably better as was the sound. My little tests seem to endorse this. Personally I prefer 303 over 405 . 606 is OK.

From what I have read 405 is still mostly a feedback amp. If you like it gets help when above 10 kHz. remember it inverts phase.

Yes the principle is absolutely sound but they did cut some corners that prevented it to perform at optimum.
Later versions had a very slight bias on the class C dumpers to pull them over into class B. They used a 1-diode drop bias for the dumpers.

Then there was an issue with the first series that there was an actual circuit error in the protection circuit so that the pos side protection cut in a lot more than necessary and that also impacted the sound.

The 405-2 has a totally redesigned protection system but uses the same PCB so the new protection system is on a small conformal coated PCB that plugs in the holes of the original parts. Inventive lot, those Brits!
Maybe they should stick to soccer :p

jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A Theory:

There is a 3rd aspect to electricity that has so far been missed. That aspect is the geometry or shape. An electrical signal has an electric field and a magnetic field. These field lines project out into 3D space and have a particular geometry. The nature of the geometry of these field lines will affect the performance of the circuit. If the geometry of these field lines is distorted then there will be a "clash" between the electric and magnetic field lines. There is a natural fit between the field lines that will enable the circuit to perform better. Oscilloscopes and spectrum analysers cannot give a full picture of what an electrical signal is. They tell you nothing about the geometry.
I know what causes distortion to the geometry of electrical signals. I also know how to restore a more natural geometry to the signal. By improving the geometry, computer systems can run faster; faster computational speeds. Also, electromechanical systems will perform more accurately. Audio systems will sound better. Current measurement techniques do not give an indication of the improvements that can be made.
There you go! You can believe me or not. You can take the easy route and call me a fool!
One day, you will be able buy some of these devices and modules I made. A 30 day money back guarantee if you are not convinced. Or you can refuse to buy and refuse to try... up to you!

Why am I suddenly thinking 'Nobel Prize!'?

Jan

A Theory:

Sony discovered this in 1979 in the Esprit range. They tried to get a dialog going. One or two companies took note and continue as Sony did. Sony found the effects were at - 120 dB and gave 5 dB improvements. Regardless of the low level they used the research. The difficult bit is Sony felt the improvements did not tally with the measurements and implied the effects seemed higher up the scale. Capacitor sound also is like this . I take recommendations about capacitors seriously . Measured effects well below - 120 dB. Non polar electrolytic and NPO ceramic being ones ignored by some that work well.

Maybe this is why I like minimalist low distortion designs ( better than 0.1% full power if transistor 0.01% typical). The chances are better to get it right . My silly amp I showed recently was almost dead-bug. I put the sophistication into the PSU if anywhere. In a tube amp this was one MOS FET capacitance multiplier with one resistor current limiter that lost 4V out of 450V. The resistor was the least sophisticated and fastest acting option.

Last edited:
admc007 said:
There is a 3rd aspect to electricity that has so far been missed. That aspect is the geometry or shape.
Missed by who? If you read a decent electromagnetism textbook you will find it is full of geometry. The rest of the post is either Nobel Prize material (as Jan suggests) or complete drivel. As it is not 1st April yet it is unclear whether this is a half-hearted attempt at a spoof by someone who knows a bit about EM or a a half-baked attempt at innovation by someone who knows almost nothing about EM.

Surely Faraday was saying this ? Good to say it all the same. I read some pre electron Encyclopedia Britannica. Far more detailed about electromagnetism and puts my 1980's version to shame. It was so odd to have complex ideas complete and yet no electronics worth speaking about. I think circa 1900. If so the electron was already a few years in contemplation.

Early statements of electromagnetism suffered from the problem that they did not really know about fields and so could not conceive of waves without a medium. They also were trying to cling to a 'mechanical' model of reality. Furthermore, they did not realise that electricity and magnetism are the same thing, apart from a Lorentz transform. (Interestingly, most EEs still don't realise this as few are taught it).

Yes why, I go for 50W at idle for 100W amp, 200mA or so per device.

Eh? How many devices in series/parallel?

I find that the usual class AB design achieves what it can by about 130 mA per device, admittedly with 4 pairs at the output, or some 520 mA per channel.

The again, I do own relatively efficient speakers, 92 dB/2.83V/1m, in a small room, so I don't much power anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.