Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nige, if your power transformer is large enough, way above the current you draw from it, it's regulation will be very small and with merely decent filter caps you will have rock steady power supply.

Local toroidal transformer suppliers quote regaulation of 5% for 300 VA and 3% for 500 VA and above. Small fry, 30/50/70 VA are quoted as 6%.

That is MUCH lower than many trafos used in the audio business, where I have seen numbers as high as 20%. That is a game I refuse to play, design for a know drop if output voltage as my "protection".

My point is, if you use a large enough trafo, and decent filter caps, your line supply will be rather firm. It will make you wonder why would you want to use electronic regulation since you will have little to gain, but willl risk much and will pay much.

I get the feeling a 10 inch unit would be better if to the same recipe . Listening to Cliff Richards Living Doll for the 90 year old Land Army Girl I was stunned . I am not his No 1 fan , well maybe that has changed . Also Bill Hayley When the saints . It was like he came to my old youth club and performed live . Little imperfection that suggested an unpolished version . Jazz on Radio 3 form Cheltenham . Wow . Oh how I wish I still had Charlie Hayden " For a free Portugal " on A&M Horizon .

What is stupid is I dreamed this up 30 years ago and just talked about it to anyone who would listen . What a fool , I was right and the maths do work . Robin Marshall told me the bones of it . He said I mistook the Quad sound for being electrostatic .
Yep, good sound is good sound ... and when it happens on extremely average equipment, suitably optimised, then comes the realisation that so much of normal audio discussion is complete malarky ...

What's with the abbreviations?

Nige, I have no idea what you are talking about - what's "PTFE", "PME", etc?

The ground spike is part of a system called TT if I am right ? PME is the French system used by many ( Serbia I would guess ) . TT is intended where no reliable ground is available . Rather wonderful as it uses a very small current to operate a trip if the Live Neutral current become imbalanced . PME takes the incoming ground from the electrical company . This is tied at some point to Neutral . As the systems looks identical at the fuse box it is tempting to think a dedicated ground ( with rose bush ) is a simple add on . The Audiophile will remove the company ground and insert TT ground rod . Under unusual conditions this can be highly dangerous . My neighbour was the council electrician for social housing . The road where he was working had been adapted to take PME . Someone had installed it on an overhead supply . This is not intended and is technically wrong . One night in a storm a cable failed . The kitchen sink in a house was hot due to becoming the replacement Neutral .

If wanting to do this an isolation TF might help . I don't like them for brute force amplifiers . It makes them sounds very textured but lacking in slam . OK my recipes are for amps like that . I make my other world suit as a result .

How you connect ground is your choice . To centre tap is usual . I have doubts it is the penicillin to troubles . It does force symmetry which helps filters work .

4vYJguY.jpg

Would it be wrong to infer that 9.5 m/S is a good result ? Helmholtz simulator to represent resistive loading as seem from the point of view of blowing across the openings . I might be trying a two chamber resonant system that mimics IB for my sub woofer . Here I am thinking a 5 inch unit for something else . As people say the port is a Helmholtz resonator I thought why not go back to basics . I did this in 1973 after geometrical optics when doing Physics , they were taught like that as the maths seems to crossover nicely . I remember the teacher saying a speaker port blows out the candle about 10% outside the port at Fo . Thus Fo is about 10 % lower than the speed of sound suggests . Said to be not the best news for designers . Making it restively damped might change that .

Last edited:
If you will forgive this is how I see high end ( $100 000 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efQYfwFD8No

This is how to do it properly and much cheaper .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXmdii9ZY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nla4Kg2217k

Reassuring to see it's not just our industry that is going bonkers . Don't be fooled . The Norton is not what it appears to be . It is a logical improvement and relatively cheap . Moto Guzzi are interesting if you have time to keep them running properly . better than BMW for less money allowing for the fact BMW take more care on details .

OB speakers .

Something that concerns me . They sound better than real life . I think I should fix that ?

Not hard to explain . Real life doesn't have a volume control . When the tweeters come I will have a tweeter switch . High grade source material sometimes might sound great if better than real life with tweeter off .

I know from setting microphones it often sounded better than the venue . I only used two and worked hard to get a set up . Oxford town hall was like that . It took years to be able to like music there . The Sheldonian Theatre is excellent by contrast . I have recorded in both . I was invited to see Nigel Kennedy at Oxford New Theatre . I didn't bother much as I like him , can't stand the sound .

Last night Colleen and I set up the Dynaco 25's in the village hall . Talk about superb . Even Dynaco's slightly dull " normal " tweeter setting was right for the acoustics . In 1978 I did the same and I still love these speakers . What they lack is OK for when they were designed . Cliff Richard wasn't as he was via the OB's . He was the same without being in time machine mode of reprising his 1959 performance as if live . The OB get close to doing that . I heard it once before using stacked ESL 57's . It is rare .

On the way back I said the Netherlands would do well , also Argentina . Colleen is a football expert and said " how the hell would you know " . Two teams she dislikes . I dislike our team as they bring misery to the nation ( please prove me wrong ) . The pub was empty last night , Friday night is usually packed . Even pubs with TV's were empty .

Five one, five one , five one . Problem is Spain is almost my second home in my heart so not overjoyed to be right .

I choose old USA police series Cagney and Lacy to test the universality of things . It sounds OK and at times good . Then shock of my life . The music that I suspect to be recorded on later is not good , it is top notch . The sound has ideal microphone placement . Whoever did it was a perfectionist . It is so good to know what is the speaker and what is the recording . The average 1970's TV sound is like an off centre voice coil when at low volume . Then an overlay of deep sound stage accurate music mixed with the mediocre to poor . Wow . On the Dynaco's it is a washout as you would expect ( 70's + 70's = very poor ) . For what it is worth the Dynaco's usually better many modern speakers . The problems of box speaker design prove the laws of Physics didn't change over the years . KEF LS 50 I suspect would be the ideal one for me if now choosing a small speaker . Celestion SL6 also as a middle of my time line ( didn't like the metal box version ) . LS3/5A is OK but very limited in how much power can be safely used . Meridain 105 amps worked well with them . Alas they bottomed too easily when getting to sound good . Quad 405 never seemed to be ideal with them .

I have to now admire Colleen more than I already do . She said Italy will win and we drank Cavi a nice obscure Italian wine . I met Colleen at quizzes . Between us we often get 100 % in music section and she often gets 100 % in football ( me 0% ) . It is nice to know someone who loves her national team like no other yet still see's the bigger picture . A weird thing is she tested me on 1970's football players last night . I got 100 % right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As I said it helped at school when Professor Pea-pod ( yep ) showed some interest .

I loved the game last night and thought our boys made it better for all that watched who wouldn't have our patriotism . The analogy is trying to make good speakers and starting with the wrong drive units . It might work surprising well but ultimately will not succeed .

Bosnia v Argentina might be an eye opener I hope . I love the Argentine game even though we English are not allowed to . I am not British if it needs saying .

My mate Martyn and I went to a pub during the last World Cup . Martyn starts mouthing off that he can't see the point of football . To which I said " F-----g well shut up , they will linch you " He wouldn't so I got a bit stronger and said if he didn't he needed to find his own way home . That seemed to do it . We got away with it . Half an hour later the guys in the pub insisted we had a meal on them . Martyn likes Harbeth speakers so maybe his lack of social awareness is understandable . I might be like it on this forum . I am not like it where people can hit out . Goodness in the USA that means guns .

Colleen and I went to Madrid some years ago . If you haven't gathered she is a football experts expert . We went to a local bar and watched Manchester United verses Barcelona . Many Madrid people came in wearing Man U colours . Colleen and I were a bit shocked . Simple the Madrid people said , " we hate Barcelona " . BTW . Madrid , you must visit if you can . What lovely people .

I was in Italy in 1982 and was in a Turin bar during the Italy v Germany final with my linguist friend Neil . Every time the German's did a slightly naughty move the Italians turned to us and said we were to blame . The paranoia was so thick you could feel it . We said that it was a little unlikely we would side with Germany . The Turin said to us how come . We said we had had a few arguments with Germany in the past but maybe they hadn't heard of it . The ultimate was " we looked German " . Italy was not playing the cleanest game and won . Still somehow we felt the Germans had ruined it for the Turin . Maybe they scored a goal ?

It is rumored we will soon loose BBC FM . Of the alternative ways of getting BBC Radio via TV seems the best . This wasn't true at the beginning of DAB radio and it was the preferred source , it was downgraded soon after introduction .

Doing TV Radio 3 verse FM some fascinating differences . Superficially TV is best ( a friend says it is the true DAB spec as was planned ) , that is until lady with a strong pre-war German accident came on . She is more obviously a great linguist on FM ( how she says words ) . The stereo is fascinating . The separation is better on TV which makes it sound like Ping Pong . I now have a definition of stereo . If 20 db separation it is enhanced mono . Real life is enhanced mono . I suspect why this was Ping Pong is the sound is still FM biased . I even suspect an FM tuner or analogue of it used to hear the stereo spread . No big deal to have a blend circuit . I hate hole in the middle . OB's used for this . On switch on every morning the lack of the last 1 octave is obvious . Funny how it isn't enough to destroy these comparisons . Old experimental AM stereo was 10 kHz . I can imagine it was very good . It left out 30 Hz if I am right and used double SSB . The conventional AM radio seeing it as mono . The 30 Hz to make a centre notch to align the stereo ( 60 Hz total) . I think BBC used 7 kHz mono although stated was 4.5 kHz . If a radio has a very good circuit it is possible to go beyond suspected parameters . I have a Sony ST 3950 4 wave band . It has an almost hi fi quality on Short-wave that makes concerts enjoyable . A run of the mill CD player does not have this quality albeit ticking the obvious hi fi boxes . Julian Vereker told me if my memory is correct that 10 kHz AM was the highest quality sound he every heard . If also correct used where FM was impossible due to transmitter location . This was Long-wave . I suspect these tests went on unknown to 99% of people and only a few had the car radios that could decode the signal ( that was said to be it's market ) . A bit like French Colour TV I saw in 1966 . It was 819 lines . This was abandoned for the public version .

My TV box is a very high spec Panasonic . A joy to own .

My speculation is that the FM transmitter still gets a better digital link and the gubbins of FM transmission and reception is not enough to ruin it . I also supect FM ground rules were set when engineers had time to be thorough , this survives and is duplicated when updated or repaired . I have a $5 mono FM transmitter . If I am careful not to over modulate it , it is hi fi . Even the 0.2 MHz steps at 107 MHz are accurate !

The way this seems to be going, Nige, you may soon lose BBC altogether. The stupid politicans are perfectly capable of that in order to "save" money.

I hear about downgrades all the time. I've been out of UK for over 40 years now, but I am still addicted to the Beeb I used to love to listen to in 1970. THE reference standard radio bar none.

Status
Not open for further replies.