Status
Not open for further replies.
Dutchie .... :D

Attachments

• LM-212amp.jpg
    LM-212amp.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 153
ON the subject of sound quality....

Does anyone here have experience with using MOSFETS instead of relays for the speaker mute/protection? I do mean for high-fidelity, not for PA or background. I expect them to be very good choices there. I was also thinking about them in the rails in loo of fuses. (still have fuses before the bridge) Sonicaly, not concerned with system reliably yet. Just sound. If just lookiing at DC resistance, many are well below a fuse and relay contact. I know nothing about their generality and noise when hard on. Data sheets only talk about their ability for fast DC switching.

ON the subject of sound quality....

Does anyone here have experience with using MOSFETS instead of relays for the speaker mute/protection? I do mean for high-fidelity, not for PA or background. I expect them to be very good choices there. I was also thinking about them in the rails in loo of fuses. (still have fuses before the bridge) Sonicaly, not concerned with system reliably yet. Just sound. If just lookiing at DC resistance, many are well below a fuse and relay contact. I know nothing about their generality and noise when hard on. Data sheets only talk about their ability for fast DC switching.
I have owned two amplifiers that used a single fast switching 2SC2878 semiconductor on each channel for the input mute (in case someone pulled an RCA interconnect while the amp was on, the amp clipped, aliens landed, etc). In such event, it shorts input to ground to remove the transient or hum, while the input potential divider keeps the impedance decent for the source. As far as I could ever tell, it had zero effect on the sound quality. I never even knew it was there. In fact, those two amplifiers had the lowest measured distortion and noise of any that I owned, and I think this speaks volumes to how a well implemented mute circuit can get out of the way of the signal. Now, for a delay protection for the output, I'm not sure but I think a Mosfet could work. I know that I would use both methods in my own homebrew gear if I had a circuit schematic for such a thing.

Last edited:
An old debate, repeated over and over. He states his opinion in the first paragraph, so the rest of the article is not surprising. Of course if he is wrong
Some of the most entertaining times I have spent in my life was listening to audiophiles gush with adjectives that mean absolutely nothing.....

Has more "natural" sound.

Improved "presence".

Not so "brittle" sounding.

The saving grace is that blind A-B testing done between speaker sets, amps, pre amps, etc all require a relay or some device to switch between them..... so the switch device can always be blamed when the audiophile fails to pick the "better" one a statistically significant number of times in a test.

Oh, well.... it's all harmless.

You were MIA for so long i thought you were out freedom fighting ...:)

If it were only so!

Instead, yesterday we, my wife and I. celeberated our 30th aaniversary. It's been 30 years since she said goodbye to shops, banks, post office counters, dry cleaning, and so forth, so she celebrated; I mourned because for me it was 30 years since I took on shops, banks, post office counters, dry cleaning, and so forth.

And naive me, I thought slavery was abolished. :D

But seriously, I'm having odd problems with my legs. I've been in some pain since December last year, and there was a point whn it got really bad. The (whitch) doctors were, as usual, of little use, they got some blood off me, did tests and came up empty. Oddly enough, I hear quite a few people complaining about the same, including some 5 year olds.

I finally got the problem much improved with a view of getting rid of it soon by turning to traditional herbal medicine all on my own. I feel much better now, and if all goes well, in about a week or so, I should have it licked. Whatever it is.

@bountyh

The problem is that many of such comments actually can be true. Some systems do sound brittle, others have a lack of presence, still others have too much of it, and more natural can mean simply easy and relaxing.

For example, my Philips Black Tulip AH370 power amp does sound brittle, no two ways about it, especially so when compared with my Marantz 170 DC and Citation 24 amps. On the other hand, the said Citation 24 is the most balanced and neutral amp I have ever had the good fortune to hear.

In my view, many of these differences in overall sound come from speakers. In that way, I am truly blessed, since my speakers do 40-18,000 Hz +/- 1.5 dB, or 36-22,000 Hz +/- 3 dB, box matching to within 0.5 dB. Moreover, you do not listen to a bass, mid and treble driver, you listen to just one point source of sound, no box effects. More linear than even my old love, the JBL 4312.

I am thus spared many of such comments.

If it were only so!

Instead, yesterday we, my wife and I. celeberated our 30th aaniversary. It's been 30 years since she said goodbye to shops, banks, post office counters, dry cleaning, and so forth, so she celebrated; I mourned because for me it was 30 years since I took on shops, banks, post office counters, dry cleaning, and so forth.

And naive me, I thought slavery was abolished. :D

But seriously, I'm having odd problems with my legs. I've been in some pain since December last year, and there was a point whn it got really bad. The (whitch) doctors were, as usual, of little use, they got some blood off me, did tests and came up empty. Oddly enough, I hear quite a few people complaining about the same, including some 5 year olds.

I finally got the problem much improved with a view of getting rid of it soon by turning to traditional herbal medicine all on my own. I feel much better now, and if all goes well, in about a week or so, I should have it licked. Whatever it is.

Its basically the same here ( anniversaries /doctors) , its always what we put into the machine ..

:)

dvv, sorry to hear about your leg problems - I managed to get a dose of DVT recently, and am still working to get rid of it, the usual medical way. It came out of thin air, no idea what kicked it off - I'm a guy who has no interest in having my body misbehaving, this is very unusual for me ...

It's much better now, Frank, this herbal concotion I'm taking is not even medicine, it's a "nutritive supplement". But it sure has this thing under control and receeding. My wife, who is a senior professor of pharmacology (fundamental drug research) isn't even frowning.

We have centuries of herbal medicine behind us, and if I told you the few stories I know of first hand, you'd likely not believe me. Southern Serbia and bordering Macedonia in particular.

It hit me harder than it should have probably for psychological reasons, I haven't had a decent flu for the last 10 years or so, let alone anything more serious. Anyway, it's well on its way out. Almost back to normal now.

We have centuries of herbal medicine behind us, and if I told you the few stories I know of first hand, you'd likely not believe me. Southern Serbia and bordering Macedonia in particular.

I hope someone is taking action to preserve all this knowledge about herbal medicine in your area. Certainly the opposition forces ("big pharma") are organized and determined, especially in Europe, I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.