Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
The volume control is Alps Blue, my standard unless I manage to get my hands on discrete 24 point resistor rotary switch, though they van be a bit awkward on occasion. The banalnce control is also Alps Blue.

A total of 3 switches. Te one for power, another for mode (stereo/L+R) so you can adjust it exactly to your hearing and setup and the last for source selection (A or B). Switches are Made in France, life expectancy over 100,000 switchings, internally silver plated.

PCBs are single layer, but dual side. The upper side is mostly ground leads. An old practice I picked up from the RF people. Holes fully metalized for better contact.

All internal audio wiring uses all silver cabling from Neotech. The rest is from van den Hul. All connectors Teflon insulated, heavy duty, gold plated.

All soldering using British made solder with the largest silver component I could find.

All components purchased directly from manufacturers (Motorola/ON Semi, Siemens, Telefunken, Philips, Fisher & Tausche, etc). All components hand matched to 1% tolerance or better (fully complementary circuits, so it needs to be done).

Version A uses bipolars throughout (output devices 50W transistors), version B uses FETs at the input and MOSFETs at the output (output devices rated at 70W), version C uses tubes (designed by a good friend, who has been into tubes for the last 30+ years).

The BJT and FET/MOSFET version will drive a loudspeaker in a room to reasonable volumes, proving the point that they are in fact power amplifiers limited only by their supply line voltages and heat sink size. As a load, to them headphones are like a joke.

True dual mono construction, with separate 50VA toroids for each channel, and separate shunt power supplies.

I think you could say I have my bases pretty well covered. Wide bandwidth, low global NFB circuitry, just the way I like it. Can also be used as preamps, if you're happy with just two sources, they have a pair of RCA cinch outputs for a power amp at the bac, and the solid state versions can easily drive both the power amp and the phones at the same time.

I do not claim they are the world's best ever, but I do say they are definitely of the good guy persuasion. They never fail to impress people with modest headphones at showing what's really available with proper drive.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too. :p

And what kind of music do you love listening to? :hphones:

Yes and no , problem ..? Yes , perspective ...:)

Frankie takes everything out of perspective, all speakers have PE, if not we wouldnt hear them secondly , lack of , is relative to "real" the term lack of is in relation to such, if real is a "ten out of ten" and the speakers in discussion is a 3 then it would be determined to have a lack of PE ..

Perspective ..!

Now what frank purpose is that if he gets close enuff to his favorite utube speaker it will have a high enuff PE factor to sound real , this is where we disagree , because while the increase in SPL will happen the perspective will still be too small to sound real, ( headphones suffer from this) one would be amazed at how much power is necessary to reproduce the high hats alone on a drum kit , impossible from a single point source driver , the distortion level would be off the chain. Magico speakers for eg, has very good bandwidth, try it vs say MBL, or Gen1.2 and see which one comes closer to the "real deal ", horns do PE very well and many who search for that realism go that route , others like myself prefer large Linesource , the difference is the coloration and all speakers currently suffer from it, some more than others and i find it more so with horns others may not .

Frank cannot achieve what we are speaking about from his small speakers , he is trying very hard to convince himself .. :)

:drink:

That's your own perspective Wayne; you don't know everything about Frank's vast audio knowledge. :drink: :wave2s: :Pawprint: :Pawprint: :trapper:

Interesting, the conversation of having intense experiences in modes of transport - I was never into that sort of thing,
thrill seeking by moving fast and 'recklessly' has never been my bag -
however, having air move over my eardrums in that fashion does do it for me, even now - which is why PA systems really p!ss me off, they're like a kid's $200 bomb with the exhaust done, trying to sound impressive ...

Then Frank you should try this very safe sport:

Wingsuit 2013 [best moments] HD - YouTube

Highest ever wingsuit jump - from 37,265ft! - YouTube

Felix Jumps At 128k feet! Red Bull Stratos - freefall from the edge of space - YouTube

Yves Rossy: Fly with the Jetman - YouTube

* Listen to the wind's intensity, feel it massaging your ear wings (eardrums & lobes) ,
and measure the velocity of your ear lobes flapping in relation to the measured speed you're travelling at. :superman:

Last edited:
You've got it, Bob! The way my mind works these days, it gets most satisfaction from acquiring a deeper understanding of "Why Is It So?!!", to quote an eccentric science celebrity from Down Under, from some years back.

Back to the ear thing, my stomach wouldn't take that sort of stuff - vertigo is my Achilles Heel - on a roller coaster, the worst part is the slow climb to the top, way up high; once it kicks off down the other side I can relax, the fast motion closer to the ground is soothing ... :)

The shooting was the rifle club sort of thing ... but, lived in a house once which came with a full size pool table, so that type too ...

What about, if I once bowled over a New Yorker ...?

We have so many brilliant players sprouting everywhere here, that my special skills weren't called upon ... gotta let the youngies have a go ...

I used to do squash - quite some time ago all the courts metamorphisised into flats, or fitness gyms ... :(

I'd have the insurance companies deliver the driving licenses. And of course legalize all possible discrimination.

That would be fun. "Sir, since you belong to the young idiot demographic group with no previous driving experience, we believe the likelyhood you'll crash this sports bike is 90%, so we'll charge you $1000/month insurance premium. Would you be interested in full coverage for burial expenses ?"

Peufeu, unless this is a coincidence that you happen to have the same Internet handle as another countryman of yours, who used to live in Paris, and did some very good designs of amp based on Laverdine's theories, then I'd say we've met some 11 or 12 years ago.

The handle is unforgettalbe, Little Fire. :p

I'd have the insurance companies deliver the driving licenses. And of course legalize all possible discrimination.

That would be fun. "Sir, since you belong to the young idiot demographic group with no previous driving experience, we believe the likelyhood you'll crash this sports bike is 90%, so we'll charge you $1000/month insurance premium. Would you be interested in full coverage for burial expenses ?"
:joker: blew my socks off

And what kind of music do you love listening to? :hphones:

Very mixed, the only thing punisable by death in my room is jazz. Don't have it, don't want it.

Dominantly 1960-1980 rock, pop, folk, pop-rock, symphony rock (e.g. ELO), Bach's organ works, Waldo de los Rios in all forms, Blue Man Group, megatons of Enya, Loreena McKennitt and Joan Baez, country (from USA, Ireland, Scotland and England), Incredible String Band, Bob Seeger & The Silver Bullet Band, Travelling Wilburies, fair number of one hit stars, Gilbert Becaud, Zucchero any time, and naturally, local pop, rock, traditional songs from towns and orginal folk music. The last two are completely different genres, town songs are strongly influenced by French chansons, but with a strong local twist.

All time favorites - Eric Burdon and The Animals, Paul Simon, The Gregorians, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, some Bob Dylan.

Of the new(er) kids, U2, Steeleye Span and now Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Last edited:
Gilbert Becaud; I met him once, shook hands with (very nice friendly sweet man), and even took care of its sound on stage, in the hall, and all the lights everywhere. ...The wiring, the microphones, the piano positioning, etc.
{I was an assistant eclairagist et ingenieur de son back then on back stage of a major concert hall for international artists.}

Gilbert Becaud; I met him once, shook hands with (very nice friendly sweet man), and even took care of its sound on stage, in the hall, and all the lights everywhere. ...The wiring, the microphones, the piano positioning, etc.
{I was an assistant eclairagist et ingenieur de son back then on back stage of a major concert hall for international artists.}

The French nicknamed him Monsieur 100,000 Volts. And rightly so, in my view, he could combine gentle with fiery emotion like nobody else I know of.

Yves Montand was more refined, a bit like a gentleman's artist, while Jacques Brel was about 112.4% original, truly the one and only composer/performer. His only equivalent in this world is, I believe, Paul Simon.

The worst of it is that most Americans have actually heard a number of works from the above people, but don't know it, because in North America their songs were by default sung by locals. As an off hand example, the song "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.