Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the years I've seen a sliding target of "measure the same". But that's the point of this thread, isn't it? What measurements might be considered to define the sound of a device, and what weighting and thresholds are important?

Mine, too. You start with a demonstrated audible difference, then see what causes it. For boxes of gain, that's pretty straightforward. For transducers and signal processing, it isn't.

abraxalito said:
my and DF96's statements lack a vital symmetry. . . . I see you missed the asymmetry.
I was not aiming at perfect symmetry. Like most physicists, I am fascinated by broken symmetries.

Do teach those of us engineers what it is pray.
If it comes from the amplifier and affects the sound then it does so via the voltage at the output terminals? A corollary of this is that if it sounds different then it must measure different, although we might not yet know what measurement to do. On the other hand, it is not a corollary to say that if it sounds the same then it must measure the same as there may be things we can measure which we can't hear.

Last edited:
If it comes from the amplifier and affects the sound then it does so via the voltage at the output terminals? A corollary of this is that if it sounds different then it must measure different, although we might not yet know what measurement to do. On the other hand, it is not a corollary to say that if it sounds the same then it must measure the same as there may be things we can measure which we can't hear.

Which I very much doubt ThorstenL would disagree with. I know I don't. So I can't yet see how it could have been the one SY was using to beat up T with.

hard to argue with that.
Someone will, though. Maybe not directly, but by saying things which assume the opposite of what I said. Still, at least here we can have a debate. On some forums the consensus would probably be that my statement is obviously false, as crystal cones and wooden blocks obviously have a vastly bigger effect on sound than tedious trivia such as output voltages and impedances.

Agreed. So Thorsten's questions about what measurements could be done but normally aren't seems to get close to the heart of the matter. Anybody else got any ideas? (I posted some thoughts a couple of pages ago).

Hi,

If it comes from the amplifier and affects the sound then it does so via the voltage at the output terminals?

Absolutely. Electrodynamic Transducers react to current and current alone (Electrostatic ones on the other hand react to voltage alone).

If the amplifier has sufficiently low output impedance any of the resulting effects may appear unmeasurable, yet when we compare the speakers acoustic output (against an amplifier which is a near perfect current source) the differences are gross.

We do not even hidden variables, this is plain, out in the open and has been for decades.

Past that, back-emf is not the result of an LC resonance tank nor is it the result of a mechanical equivalent of an LC resonance tank. Such analogies fail even the requirements for a first order approximation, at best they may be thought of as "donkey bridges"to make electronic engineers imagine the mechanical system, but that does not make real equivalents, not even poor models.

A corollary of this is that if it sounds different then it must measure different, although we might not yet know what measurement to do.

Yes. So, in this case, if traditional measurements reveal no measurable difference, no measurements are extant to make the difference quantifiable yet it is perceived by the listener, where does that leave us?

To be more provocative

If we find that an item that measures worse in terms of traditional measurements yet is perceived to sound better and we discount the cynical hypothesis of "people like distortion" (as repeat experiments using systems with variable distortion addition mechanisms do NOT support that particular thesis), where does leave us?

On the other hand, it is not a corollary to say that if it sounds the same then it must measure the same as there may be things we can measure which we can't hear.

On the other hand, it is not a corollary to say that if it sounds different then it must measure different as there may be things we can hear which we can't measure.

Ciao T

'Controlled' is most relevant here, and not just 'controlled blind'. The 'sound' of an amp is most certainly context-dependent because amps don't produce sounds, they produce signals and hence rely on other system components. The mains supply purity could be different under two listening conditions and the resulting 'sound' difference might mistakenly be attributed to the amp. Without comprehensive controls, its really hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I would definitely call the amp that is more immune to mains supply purity "better sounding". And it is easy to measure.

Anybody else got any ideas? (I posted some thoughts a couple of pages ago).

Yeah I liked your ideas. We could do with some way to measure sensitivity to interference on input grounds and on speaker and power leads. Not sure how to quantify those effects but I reckon they're important. Perhaps the CE tests for fast transient immunity would be a start, but they need to be conducted while playing a real signal, preferably music, and the input and outputs diff'd.

@Wavebourn - that wasn't quite what I was getting at :) I agree that better immunity leads to better sound all other things being equal.

Last edited:
I agree. Any test needs controls, both positive and negative.

My biggest gripe with the blind tests who's results are so often called upon to support "all amplifiers sound the same" is the combination of bad statistics and lack of any controls, which quite frankly make it very bad science at best...

Ciao T

A good example of people who not only said it, preached it, is the Audio Critic magazine. Typical example is issue 24, pdf page 10, under the title "Paste This In Your Hat!"

and born out fully in the long article starting on pdf page 17.

Also don't miss the test of the low end Pioneer 203 receiver on pdf page 43 that "puts much of the high end equipment to shame"

The Pioneer receiver, list $220, street price $100, was also ABX tested against a $3K Stereophile rated Class A amp, and no one could hear a discernible difference. This issue is a hoot, with the declared "white hats and black hats" of the audio industry thrown in to top it off.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_24_r.pdf

Last edited:
A good example of people who not only said it, preached it, is the Audio Critic magazine. Typical example is issue 24, pdf page 10, under the title "Paste This In Your Hat!"

and born out fully in the long article starting on pdf page 17.

Also don't miss the test of the low end Pioneer 203 receiver on pdf page 43 that "puts much of the high end equipment to shame"

The Pioneer receiver, list $220, street price $100, was also ABX tested against a $3K Stereophile rated Class A amp, and no one could hear a discernible difference. This issue is a hoot, with the declared "white hats and black hats" of the audio industry thrown in to top it off.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_24_r.pdf

Most abx testing are done with poorly chosen speakers, you can "rig" any test, to prove your point if you know how .. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.